The Queen of the South thread

That was my first game this season and I was a bit apprehensive with Dobbie missing ,Semple back sooner than I expected, new keeper and nearly a new team. Only constant being our magnificent away support and they didn't let me down. I thought first half we played some really nice passing football and the lad Pybus looks promising, I like a midfielder who can add a bit of bite but he tired late on. Hamilton won a lot of high balls and I think when he links up with Dobbs we could have decent partnership. Murray has come on a lot and Oliver showed promise. This keeper could be a great signing he can come off is line smartish as he did in the first half and he will handle cross balls as well. Unfortunately he struggled with corner kicks but today's game must be a nightmare for young keepers. Every man and his dog are in the box and it means man marking has to include our smallish out field players, so its panic time. Just a suggestion but why not leave 3 of our small ones up front that means the opposition need to hold back 4. Would leave a bit of room and let the big keeper have a bit of room to work with. I thought the back line and the keeper show great promise and if we do better shutting down crosses and handling corner kicks, as we will, then I think we could have a decent season.  Great final 20 mins with the crowd responding to the efforts of the players and a draw at Morton this soon was a decent result. 

Guest Flash

Maybe players’ rellies should stay off of fans’ forums.

We get it - Semple is a good player. No need for the spamming, Suesue. Try not to turn into Besty Mk II.

I try and give an honest view on everything QOTS.

Not only because Callum plays but because I have followed Queens for 35 years.

Certainly by no means a regular as others due to location, but a fan none the less

I certainly take your point but it is the most difficult thing not to give my opinion whether agreed with or not. But yes you are correct. 

Time to go.

16 minutes ago, baw heid said:

I thought the back line and the keeper show great promise and if we do better shutting down crosses and handling corner kicks, as we will, 

I have no idea why some Queens fans just assume that you'll get better at defending crosses and set pieces; it's not a passive quality that you gain with match practice - you either find a defensive system that works or you just keep chucking the goals in every week. And by the same token, the other teams in the division have scope to improve their attacking set pieces: a Hopkin-managed side like ourselves will spend a lot of time doing that on the training ground throughout the campaign. 

Given that you proved just as dung at it throughout last season and finished 9th I'd be wee bit more concerned about that if I were you.

Having a keeper who does not command his 6 yard box doesn’t help.
Having said that, let’s blame the 3 defenders that were hear last season. 
Maybe it is the defenders that can’t defend. Maybe it’s the keepers that can’t come and take a cross.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I just find it hilarious that 3 games in our goalkeeper is already getting criticised for us conceding crosses when it's been a problem for 2 seasons prior. If you have 3 players who have been part of the problem over the course of two seasons and a goalkeeper who has been here 3 games would you not think it rational the 'older' players may be a bigger problem than the new guy?

The boy has already showed he isn't afraid to come off his line and yet it's still happening. I think we should maybe work on our marking and see if that improves things before shooting down the new guy.

Soooooo.....I thought the keeper showed he’s not scared to have a go at crosses but looked a bit nervous. That’s still a notch or two higher on the goalie scale than Martin and suggests some potential at least. Also felt we played some nice one touch football in patches particularly early on and created a decent number of half chances in the game. Sure Dobs would have nabbed one or two. Semple looked a bit heavy to me but he seems mobile enough. The big guy up front Hamilton already feeling more effective than Dykes for me.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Let's be having 2/3 signings this week PLEASE....... 

Can we wait for Wilson and Thomas from Killie on loan .

Will not get them not untill Killie sign some player might have to wait till late August to get them can we wait that long .

Would still like us to get 2 in this week then add Wilson and Thomas when we can a big ask with our budget but all depends how much we want to stay in the Championship the squad we have just now is just not good enough without Dobbie as well now for a few weeks .

Fraser Aird if we can't get Thomas ex AJ player 

Edited by Northfield 53

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I just find it hilarious that 3 games in our goalkeeper is already getting criticised for us conceding crosses when it's been a problem for 2 seasons prior. If you have 3 players who have been part of the problem over the course of two seasons and a goalkeeper who has been here 3 games would you not think it rational the 'older' players may be a bigger problem than the new guy?

The boy has already showed he isn't afraid to come off his line and yet it's still happening. I think we should maybe work on our marking and see if that improves things before shooting down the new guy.

The big keeper was quick off his line and came for crosses where off side applied. The problem is corners where he is being blocked and the six yard area looks more like a rugby scrum.  We are not alone with this problem and relying on 2 people to work out who fouled first is near impossible. I think the increased use of VAR in major games will increase the number of penalties awarded as well as the number of fouls and will start to change the attitude of our  officials. Not sure I will like that. Still think reducing the numbers in the box by sending the little ones who have no chance of getting their head to the ball up the field meaning the opposition need to mark them. That bit of extra room should let our fine big keeper to get to the ball and release it quickly up the field.  I remember Aberdeen did this with Strachan and Bobby Clark, a fine keeper, and it caused the opposition to put 2 men on little Gordon,  but that's a long time ago. 

Edited by baw heid
clarity

5 hours ago, baw heid said:

The big keeper was quick off his line and came for crosses where off side applied. The problem is corners where he is being blocked and the six yard area looks more like a rugby scrum.  We are not alone with this problem and relying on 2 people to work out who fouled first is near impossible. I think the increased use of VAR in major games will increase the number of penalties awarded as well as the number of fouls and will start to change the attitude of our  officials. Not sure I will like that. Still think reducing the numbers in the box by sending the little ones who have no chance of getting their head to the ball up the field meaning the opposition need to mark them. That bit of extra room should let our fine big keeper to get to the ball and release it quickly up the field.  I remember Aberdeen did this with Strachan and Bobby Clark, a fine keeper, and it caused the opposition to put 2 men on little Gordon,  but that's a long time ago. 

Reported for heightism.

Just watched highlights there, looking at it all 3 goals very cheap ones to lose. In saying that I thought we look pretty decent going forward. Wasn’t at the game unfortunately but it looked like Hamilton showed up a lot better than he has? Kidd looked decent, as did pybus. Semple losing his man for first and third on first viewing, would need to see again but did look that way. Kilday no sure why he takes the player out, when someone was covering

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Just watched highlights there, looking at it all 3 goals very cheap ones to lose. In saying that I thought we look pretty decent going forward. Wasn’t at the game unfortunately but it looked like Hamilton showed up a lot better than he has? Kidd looked decent, as did pybus. Semple losing his man for first and third on first viewing, would need to see again but did look that way. Kilday no sure why he takes the player out, when someone was covering

Semple did loose his man for the first goal but the man for the third goal came from the midfield Semple's man was on his arse at the time.  Highlights are just what they are a series of actions that are strapped together. Watching live gives the best indication of the overall game. I've said before we were decent for most of the match and the response to Semple's goal was great.  Our away support is the BEST