The Queen of the South thread

What a terrible start to the season now that Dobbie will be out for 6 weeks time now for the board to really back AJ and try and get the players in that he wants might have to go over budget but with Dobbie out we have no choice .

We have no choice but to get into debt? I think we very much have a choice to avoid that!

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

For me the evidence isn't particularly encouraging and isn't particularly worrying. We lost to Motherwell in the first ever competitive game for this squad and inexplicably went to shit against Annan in the second half of the second game. We then walked Dumbarton, which is easily done, and just got a point away from home at Morton who are more-or-less about our level. Worryingly, we still seem to be leaking goals and have a small squad. Encouragingly, we have scored 10 in the last three games, 8 of those were not scored by Dobbie, and we just fought back from 3-1 down away from home.

The evidence is so mixed and the sample so small, I genuinely do not see why anyone would feel particularly strongly one way or another. Still just got to wait and see.

I agree with this analysis so far.

Generally quite impressed with a lot of our interplay in the first half hour and the last 30 today. Fast passing along the ground with some good skills on show and nice one-twos. Kidd was actually quite composed in the middle of the park today which was encouraging and Hamilton won his fair share of headers in the first half (albeit did not much else). Three goals in Dobbie's absence is always a plus but that defence is still prone to a lapse in concentration. We still have a tendency to go to sleep for a period of the game and allow the opposition to swarm into our half, seems to be a trait we've had for the past few seasons. Overall not too disappointed or worried on that display, Morton never looked streets ahead of us and I think we will be in for another tight championship season. Sounds like we are still on the hunt for a few more bodies to bolster the ranks and add competition so roll on next weekend and here's hoping for a win against the new boys.

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Folk talking about Dobbie and his ‘persistent’  hamstring injury. Are we remembering that he is 36 and has just played 4 games in 2 weeks...

Not sure what your point is here. Other than perhaps using the term recurrent rather than persistent there's surely no doubt that our talisman  has an on-going issue with his hamstring. 

Age and number of games may well be an issue of course but given our current squad then if fit he'll play. The manager would be criticised if that wasn't the case TBH.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Not sure what your point is here. Other than perhaps using the term recurrent rather than persistent there's surely no doubt that our talisman  has an on-going issue with his hamstring. 

Age and number of games may well be an issue of course but given our current squad then if fit he'll play. The manager would be criticised if that wasn't the case TBH.

My point is he isn’t 21 anymore. Not really difficult to understand...

49 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

My point is he isn’t 21 anymore. Not really difficult to understand...

Fair enough. I just wondered if you were aiming some criticism at someone for the issue.

My point was that we pretty much have to play him when fit.  We're short of quality so it's tough to give him a rest. 

In essence I suspect we're making the same point in different ways.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are we allowed to worry or is it still too early in the season?

Yeah it's still way to early, mixed bag of results so far from the highly unpredictable league cup group games. Apart from a couple of teams, there have not been many amazing and wonderful team performances, maybe the group leaders in our section have been one of the stand out's.  We had our litmus test today and I admit I never seen this game but after the normal 90 minutes and away from home, I would take that kind or result all day long in the league. 

Honest question just for you, do you think we should be winning the league, play off spots, mid table safety, or battling relegation spots.

We all know we have one of, if not  the smallest budgets in the league. I feel lucky, in recent years especially, that we have managed to stay in this crackpot league.  

Long may it continue.....unless we go upwards 😂😜 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are we allowed to worry or is it still too early in the season?

Way too early to worry.

It's not like our talisman is out for 6 weeks and we've signed a new goalie, 2 new centre backs and a new left back but we;re still shipping more than 2 goals a game on average.

Then I'd be worried.

Yeah it's still way to early, mixed bag of results so far from the highly unpredictable league cup group games. Apart from a couple of teams, there have not been many amazing and wonderful team performances, maybe the group leaders in our section have been one of the stand out's.  We had our litmus test today and I admit I never seen this game but after the normal 90 minutes and away from home, I would take that kind or result all day long in the league. 

Honest question just for you, do you think we should be winning the league, play off spots, mid table safety, or battling relegation spots.
We all know we have one of, if not  the smallest budgets in the league. I feel lucky, in recent years especially, that we have managed to stay in this crackpot league.  
Long may it continue.....unless we go upwards [emoji23][emoji12] 
I think midtable safety is an achievement this season but we'll be fighting relegation if Alloa and Arbroath compete.

Way too early to worry.
 It's not like our talisman is out for 6 weeks and we've signed a new goalie, 2 new centre backs and a new left back but we;re still shipping more than 2 goals a game on average.
Then I'd be worried.
You forgot to add we're still conceding from crosses. I agree though, far too early to be concerned...

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair enough. I just wondered if you were aiming some criticism at someone for the issue.

My point was that we pretty much have to play him when fit.  We're short of quality so it's tough to give him a rest. 

In essence I suspect we're making the same point in different ways.

Not at all. Merely, saying he is getting on and injuries may be more frequent. 

Wasn’t our opening result last season a draw away to Morton? There was certainly an early season 2-2 draw I’m sure.

So basically anyone using a draw against Morton as some sort of beacon of hope for the season is clutching at straws.

This has all the hallmarks of a relegation season I’m sure of it.

Last seasons draw at Morton lead to a 4th/5th place league position going into the New Year.

A January tampering of the squad and a bit of moaning up to that point that the squad was on the light side put pay to what was a small but competitive squad.

At present we don’t even have a small squad. 2 or 3 more and this seasons small squad will be complete.

Guest Flash

Early days and different teams, so you can’t read too much into it, but we have conceded twice as many goals compared with the group stage last season - 10 compared with 5.

The previous goals against figures from 16/17 to 18/19 were 2; 4 and 5. This season’s total of 10 goals conceded is 1 less than the total for the last 3 seasons combined.

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Early days and different teams, so you can’t read too much into it, but we have conceded twice as many goals compared with the group stage last season - 10 compared with 5.

The previous goals against figures from 16/17 to 18/19 were 2; 4 and 5. This season’s total of 10 goals conceded is 1 less than the total for the last 3 seasons combined.

I would argue the team in the previous seasons was far more settled than this one.

Queens played one proper friendly this season prior to the Cup games.

Ardrie and Clyde were trialists games ...... certainly not what you can say were preseason friendlies, hence behind closed doors.

we will go through the same old .... we scored x number of goals and conceded x number of goals last season, this season etc etc etc.

I will go on a more positive stat that Queens have lost 1 in 4 games this season with a team of 8/9 new signings and another 2 at least to come in.

Work to be done.... yes

Worried....... no.

Why can some people take a positive out of yesterday result . No dobbie down 3-1 pulled it back to 3-3 and in a league match that would be a good away point . Last season we would not have pulled it back with mr negative in charge so I think the future is a little brighter one thing for sure the games have been entertaining this season .

2 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Why can some people take a positive out of yesterday result . No dobbie down 3-1 pulled it back to 3-3 and in a league match that would be a good away point . Last season we would not have pulled it back with mr negative in charge so I think the future is a little brighter one thing for sure the games have been entertaining this season .

There are of course some positives as you suggest.

Possibly worth highlighting though that with "Mr Negative" in charge we were 2 goals down to Morton in the first league game of last season and fought back to get a very good away point. 😉

20 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Oops !!!

25 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

There are of course some positives as you suggest.

Possibly worth highlighting though that with "Mr Negative" in charge we were 2 goals down to Morton in the first league game of last season and fought back to get a very good away point. 😉

That was under pre- January Naysmith,  for me his attitude/tactics  changed around that time,  it was as if he thought we had enough points on board and could cruise to certain safety,  maybe even 4th to 6th,  with still half a season left.  Having said that we were 2 goals down to Morton that day so he had to be more positive coupled with Morton probably trying to hang on to their lead. It was noticeable in the  post - January collapse under Naysmith,  to my thinking at least,  that the approach to games was more cautious and we generally had to be trailing by a goal or two before the play became more attack minded. That's why I at least considered him negative.