The Queen of the South thread

28 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Free kids tickets for what I would call the cop end can’t do any harm at all.

It gets their interest at a young age.

the guardian buys a ticket and the child pesters and pesters for sweets and ginger all through the game. Makes a bit of extra cash.

They’ve been doing that for years without a great deal of success unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Free kids tickets for what I would call the cop end can’t do any harm at all.

It gets their interest at a young age.

the guardian buys a ticket and the child pesters and pesters for sweets and ginger all through the game. Makes a bit of extra cash.

If I took a youngster to the football and they pestered me for sweets and drinks all through the game I don't think the experience would be repeated.  Does the Club actually run the catering outlets or rent the catering out?  If it's rented out the club won't make any extra money no matter how busy the shops are, unless the rental is on a income based amount which would be nigh impossible to monitor.  

For avoidance of doubt, during term time we do regularly give out free tickets to schools, though not as often as when the Hollywood Trust used to effectively underwrite the Community Programme. As a rough average, every 150 free tickets given out tends to result in less than 10 actually being used. At the end of the day with a kids season ticket £18, most kids who want to go already have a ticket. 

As far as I know all player kits are already sponsored but its possible the recent signings of McCarthy and Paton arent as the Commercial Manager was on holliday when they were signed.

The catering outlets are rented though its clearly in the club interest for them to be as busy as possible.

I  think a great deal of dishing out of tickets already happens in Primary Schools.  It certainly was the case very recently, and I'd guess still is, but might be wrong.

JT certainly had a prominent community role in schools, but I'm not sure if/how things have altered in that regard  since his departure.

59 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I  think a great deal of dishing out of tickets already happens in Primary Schools.  It certainly was the case very recently, and I'd guess still is, but might be wrong.

JT certainly had a prominent community role in schools, but I'm not sure if/how things have altered in that regard  since his departure.

There is still plenty going on. Dan runs a Breakfast Club at NW Campus with support from Cash for Kids and he and Eddie still do regular school visits and run the Why Try? programme. However inevitably the virtual full time community aspect tailed off a little once Holywood Trust withdrew the funding for JT. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

19 hours ago, SueSue said:

Yes I do think that should happen.

i also think there should be more features in the programme regards the players. Interviews, their likes etc etc.

There is very little interaction with supporters and the general public.

get some first team players doing questions and answers at schools. Handing out free tickets to games. Have open training sessions at Palmerston and invite schools and any public to come along. Even if it is a Sunday. 

Number every programme and the winning number gets a free home or away shirt. It may increase programme sales.

Just things to bring a new young team and supporters closer together. 

Maybe player interviews which go on the club website in build up to games.l rather than always after a game.

even if it is done on a phone and then written into a feature on the club website.

Please don’t shout me down. I know it’s easy to suggest it and a whole lot harder to do......

there is definitely a closer bond between the players and the 300/400/500 away supporters. 

we need to have that bond with possible 2000 home support also.

Some good suggestions for content, particularly for programme and social. Be great to see a Q&A session with a player once a week. Wouldn't be hard to do and would be great content - most clubs seem to do it.

The programme is pretty meh. I get that programmes are a dying thing, sadly, but it's quite threadbare and generic. I get its done on a budget and the club won't have resources to really make it an all singing, all dancing affair but even still... 

The programme is generic in the main but it does have various pages which are printed for each home game which has latest league updates etc.

just make one of those pages a page for a player feature every home game !!! 

59 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The programme is generic in the main but it does have various pages which are printed for each home game which has latest league updates etc.

just make one of those pages a page for a player feature every home game !!! 

Or even an interview with an ex player. I'd be right into that sorta content.

For avoidance of doubt, during term time we do regularly give out free tickets to schools, though not as often as when the Hollywood Trust used to effectively underwrite the Community Programme. As a rough average, every 150 free tickets given out tends to result in less than 10 actually being used. At the end of the day with a kids season ticket £18, most kids who want to go already have a ticket. 
As far as I know all player kits are already sponsored but its possible the recent signings of McCarthy and Paton arent as the Commercial Manager was on holliday when they were signed.
The catering outlets are rented though its clearly in the club interest for them to be as busy as possible.

Commercial manager on holiday when the season has already started???

Shocking if true, that is the best time to get businesses to get involved in the club try and big the club up. I know people are entitled to holidays but surely common sense from the club would tell him to have a break as soon as the season.

Queens are miles behind every club on all aspects even social media. I know we rely on volunteers but there should be a piece on the website atleast once a week from the manager.

About programmes I buy a programme every home and away queens game and ours aren’t the best. A player interview or something would be a start, I enjoyed the fans stories last season and I hope they continue as me and my grandson liked reading them before the game started it was interesting seeing how different people got supporting our club.

13 minutes ago, the tactician said:

Shocking if true, that is the best time to get businesses to get involved in the club try and big the club up. I know people are entitled to holidays but surely common sense from the club would tell him to have a break as soon as the season.

Queens are miles behind every club on all aspects even social media. I know we rely on volunteers but there should be a piece on the website atleast once a week from the manager.

About programmes I buy a programme every home and away queens game and ours aren’t the best. A player interview or something would be a start, I enjoyed the fans stories last season and I hope they continue as me and my grandson liked reading them before the game started it was interesting seeing how different people got supporting our club.

The social media is particularly poor. Stuff like this : 

I've also never understood how come some games have no live coverage. I've always wondered why...

Edited by Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army

6 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

The social media is particularly shite. Stuff like this is w**k: 

I've also never understood how come some games have no live coverage. I've always wondered why...

Thats an auto generated tweet from a 3rd party site. It just appears, no one has to do anything.

There isnt always someone available to attend the game and provide live coverage

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Thats an auto generated tweet from a 3rd party site. It just appears, no one has to do anything.

Aye but you can turn them off...

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

There isnt always someone available to attend the game and provide live coverage

Do we  not take a media officer with them to all games?

Edited by Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army

The season ends in May, the schools don't go on holiday until the end of June. If the commercial manager has kids they can't be expected to take their holidays before the kids are off.

Queens have ALWAYS been in the backwater as long as I can remember. Since the current board have been in charge, I've never known such marketing shambles since the Harkness days. I take it the Commercial Manager being on holiday is a windup?

6 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Aye but you can turn them off...

And you can leave them on - its one tweet a week

Do we  not take a media officer with them to all games?

Yes, but the media officer doesnt do live reporting for the website, or match reports

Edited by Mr X

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

And you can leave them on - its one tweet a week

Yes, but the media officer doesnt do live reporting for the website, or match reports

Leaving them on makes you look pretty chip shop tbh. 

The media officer doesn't cover social media? Surely you can see that's ridiculous?