The Queen of the South thread

Winners of the 4 @OfficialQosFC season tickets drawn at the Queens Trust meeting on Thursday 24th July 2019 were:

Junior Blue: Anya McWilliam

Junior Blue: Millie Robson

Concession: Jessie Gibson

Adult: Ian Rae

A huge thank you to all 243 members who have joined or renewed! 

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Perhaps they should work together with all the other supporters clubs. Can only be good for the Queens. 

I'm pretty sure the Supporters Liaison Committee members will talk to a wide range of supporters including the members of various organised clubs at games,   and any positive suggestions will,  or should be,  put to the BoD. 

3 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Well there’s not been one mention on Twitter about our game Saturday as an example. Should be tweeting that at least daily.

Personally I  don't bother with Twitter,  Facebook,  etc,  but any platform that gets information across should be used. Why don't you get in touch with the Club or SLO's and put it to them. 

6 minutes ago, JTulip said:

Winners of the 4 @OfficialQosFC season tickets drawn at the Queens Trust meeting on Thursday 24th July 2019 were:

Junior Blue: Anya McWilliam

Junior Blue: Millie Robson

Concession: Jessie Gibson

Adult: Ian Rae

A huge thank you to all 243 members who have joined or renewed! 

We'll done JTulip and congratulations to the winners.  It's only WEDNESDAY though. You're getting over-excited about all the new members. 

16 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Great effort from them to break their membership record. Hopefully a similar thing can happen with our home attendances.

I can't see us getting 27,000 in for any single match this season, or averaging over 11,000.

Just an opinion though.

So I think this is where we are at in the Betfred Cup:

We MUST win in 90 mins v Morton to get 2nd. If we win on penalties we'll still be 3rd as Morton have a better GD. But if we beat Morton in 90 minutes we are guaranteed to be better than the runner up in Group H. We then need three more of the following to happen:

A: Any Hearts win over East Fife, or any East Fife win but we have to beat Morton by 2 goal margin.

B: Any St Johnstone win over Forfar, or if Forfar win on penalties we could finish above them with a 4 goal winning margin over Morton. If Forfar win in 90 mins we can't better them in 2nd.

C : Any sort of Alloa win over Arbroath. If Arbroath beat Alloa in 90 mins we can't finish above 2nd in this group but an Arbroath win on penalties and a 3 goal winning margin at Morton would be good enough.

D : An outright 90 min winner in Dundee v Inverness, OR ICT win on Pens and we beat Morton by 3 goals, OR Dundee win on Pens and we beat Morton by 4 goals.

F: Airdrie to beat Hamilton by same or less margin as we beat Morton, OR Hamilton win on Pens and we beat Morton by at least 2 goals. A Hamilton 90 min win takes 2nd beyond us in this group.

G: Any Stranraer win over Ayr United, OR Berwick beating Livingston in 90 mins.

Happy to hear any corrections if I've cocked something up above? @Flash

We are in with a far better chance than I thought we were after drawing with Annan. It's not a massive reach. Probably about 50/50. It's been a tournament of shocks again but if Hearts and St Johnstone get the wins you'd expect them to get then we need either Alloa to get a win over Arbroath or one of Dundee v ICT to win outright. They can't just settle for a draw because other results might see one of them out. If we could win by a heavy 4 goal margin at Morton (optimistic I know) we'd be guaranteed finishing above runner up in Groups A and D too so would only need a St Johnstone win, Hamilton not to win in 90 mins, Alloa win, or long shot Stranraer win to advance. It's a pity we didn't extend our lead v Dumbarton 2nd half last week, or that we lost two injury time goals to Motherwell. Another couple of goals could have made all the difference.

EDITED TO ADD - I've only just realised Dundee v ICT is on Sunday after all the other games have been played. Wee bit unfair that as they therefore WILL know whether they can just play out a draw Austria v Germany style and both go through or not. We can but hope that they are either not in that position or if they are, it isn't us sitting waiting on the result.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

What’s your thoughts Sue ? 

You think it’s worth a shot trying to get all Queens fans singing from the same hymn sheet. 

Yes I do think that should happen.

i also think there should be more features in the programme regards the players. Interviews, their likes etc etc.

There is very little interaction with supporters and the general public.

get some first team players doing questions and answers at schools. Handing out free tickets to games. Have open training sessions at Palmerston and invite schools and any public to come along. Even if it is a Sunday. 

Number every programme and the winning number gets a free home or away shirt. It may increase programme sales.

Just things to bring a new young team and supporters closer together. 

Maybe player interviews which go on the club website in build up to games.l rather than always after a game.

even if it is done on a phone and then written into a feature on the club website.

Please don’t shout me down. I know it’s easy to suggest it and a whole lot harder to do......

there is definitely a closer bond between the players and the 300/400/500 away supporters. 

we need to have that bond with possible 2000 home support also.

Definitely don't want to shout you down SueSue,    there's some decent suggestions in there BUT :

Getting players to give up some free time to go around schools,  etc,  would be a bit difficult.  Most are based in the Central Belt and training is done in Hamilton which is probably a cheaper option than bringing all the players down here.  It would probably be left to the Dumfries based players to carry out these extra duties. Also our full time wages are probably (just guessing)  on the lower end of the scale which players may accept if they are just expected to train and play without too much extra- curricular activity. 

I don't buy programmes so have no idea what they contain but a player profile and interviews should be a basic ingredient I would say.  Having said that I doubt if the programme is a great money maker and Queens could follow other clubs in doing away with printed programmes in favour of on-line ones to download.  How many people will bother to download it.  Also it comes down to volunteers (mustn't slag the volunteers)   giving up more time to do these things.  

I don't think the problem is too big,  just a wee bit of thought with really very little effort to make full use of all social media and other links that are already in place. 

Here are some more great photos sent in from Trust members who joined before last nights draw! Thank you very much to you all.

We have Hugo Purdie, who is the nephew of former Queens keeper from the 90’s David Purdie, also we have George Watson, Mark Armstrong and a good collection of retro queens tops and last but not least Carol Divers who joined as a life member of the Queens Trust - our first life membership sold in over 8 years. Brilliant! Thank you for your support.

Although our season ticket draw is passed you can still join and help support the work we do.

It is only £10 or £5 for the whole year and very easy to join. Life memberships are also available at £100 or £50 (if already joined for 19/20 will discount your membership fee from this amount so it would be £90 or £45).

D358AB34-7B11-4E76-B240-0B7BA0A31788.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Definitely don't want to shout you down SueSue,    there's some decent suggestions in there BUT :

Getting players to give up some free time to go around schools,  etc,  would be a bit difficult.  Most are based in the Central Belt and training is done in Hamilton which is probably a cheaper option than bringing all the players down here.  It would probably be left to the Dumfries based players to carry out these extra duties. Also our full time wages are probably (just guessing)  on the lower end of the scale which players may accept if they are just expected to train and play without too much extra- curricular activity. 

I don't buy programmes so have no idea what they contain but a player profile and interviews should be a basic ingredient I would say.  Having said that I doubt if the programme is a great money maker and Queens could follow other clubs in doing away with printed programmes in favour of on-line ones to download.  How many people will bother to download it.  Also it comes down to volunteers (mustn't slag the volunteers)   giving up more time to do these things.  

I don't think the problem is too big,  just a wee bit of thought with really very little effort to make full use of all social media and other links that are already in place. 

You are not shouting me down pal.. no worries.

I genuinely think some of the younger players would have no issue coming down to Dumfries even once a month to promote the team.

we have young players that go back to digs, hotels or flats in and Around Hamilton that would do it. I am convinced of this. Pybus, Semple, Hamilton, Murray, Holt,  Gourlay. Go down 2 at a time, twice a season, once a month and that means 1 visit to a different school for 6 months

Hand in 50 free tickets to every school for every home game. It could encourage parent and grandparent to bring them along.

Ross County produced a single A4 sheet last season which had the team sheet, managers comments, Chairman’s Comments plus advertising for local businesses which help cover its costs.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Their paid full time money to do a full time job most are on 2year deals at last (so they don't walk away for nothing) so they'll be getting paid in close season would think its in the contracts to do promotional work. I remember players turning up at things regularly in the past never giving out tickets to. But that's the best idea on here for years pester power always wins

Free kids tickets for what I would call the cop end can’t do any harm at all.

It gets their interest at a young age.

the guardian buys a ticket and the child pesters and pesters for sweets and ginger all through the game. Makes a bit of extra cash.