The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Connor Murray my Man of the Match today.

By a distance. That 4 goals in 12 minutes was almost surreal.....

Paton, Kidd and Oliver were all OK today, although we will have tougher opponents ahead. Nevertheless, a morale-boosting win always welcome.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I can understand players’ performances being affected by crowd reactions. But that isn’t the point. We are talking about the views on here. First of all, if I was player, the last thing I would do is go on fans’ forums looking for reviews, especially after a shit performance. And, if I did read them, it would be in the knowledge that fans generally don’t know what they are talking about. And if a player does read this stuff and let the views of about half a dozen people affect them, they are in the wrong job. Add to that, if fans are being relentlessly positive when performances don’t merit it, players will know it is horseshit same as everybody else reading it. I ‘d rather people posted honest views than made stuff up just in case a player is daft enough to read it, or even more daft to take any notice of it.

In any case, do you seriously think that had the few folk who post on here been more positive last season, we would have finished higher up the league? I mean, really?

Appreciate you have your views but I don't think they are grounded in reality. As for the bit in bold: no, but that's about performances across a whole season not two games, and my comments don't just apply to this forum. 

32 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

People don't actually think players come on here and read what fans think of them do they?

A few players do. Others look at Twitter, Snapchat, read what newspapers say, hear fans during the games, etc. Some purposefully and others just happen to see it. They are not superheroes, they are just young lads who happen to be good at kicking a ball around and chasing after it.

Let's be clear that all I and others are saying is that unnecessary negativity can't achieve anything good and may well affect individual performances negatively, and vice versa for optimism. Not that everything being typed on here should be done with the idea we are talking to players, which is obviously not true.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

1 hour ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Jack Norbury awfy quiet tonight emoji6.png

Good win today but still short in numbers and more inportant quality .

We need at least 4 players but it looks like we are only going to get 2 both will be loan signing  have to hope some young players step up..

Edited by Northfield 53

A few players do. Others look at Twitter, Snapchat, read what newspapers say, hear fans during the games, etc. Some purposefully and others just happen to see it. They are not superheroes, they are just young lads who happen to be good at kicking a ball around and chasing after it.
Let's be clear that all I and others are saying is that unnecessary negativity can't achieve anything good and may well affect individual performances negatively, and vice versa for optimism. Not that everything being typed on here should be done with the idea we are talking to players, which is obviously not true.

I certainly think that calling young guys like Lewis Kidd “shite” or saying he should be released after only a couple of games is way over the top, unhelpful and pretty distasteful in my opinion

5 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

My partner is a singer. It's not the same as football but both are performance professions. When she gets bad reviews, or her directors are negative, or a crowd is unwelcoming, she has to actively make sure that doesn't affect her performance. Naturally, that is a part of the job, and she is fine almost all of the time, but she and our squad are all humans and capable of being affected by these things. When it has been rough for her and no-one has said anything too critical and she gets space to grow, she always turns it around. When she gets good reviews, it makes her glow and her singing even better! Bit of a random thing to say on a football forum, and she is probably at a higher level than Queens in their respective disciplines, but I think the principle is the same. Gotta trust people a little bit to get it right and then offer praise when it's due. The likes of Mercer, Murray and Dobbie (first time) have all stuck in an improved in their time with us, and the likes of Pybus and McRorie (sp) have said they want to do that.

Yes, that's fair enough - I see what you're getting at.  I try not to be unduly critical of individuals, especially young ones and I must admit that I hate the idea of them reading dismissive and disparaging comments.  Not many of us would enjoy that with regard to how we do our jobs.

I accept it's related, but it's not quite the same thing as the debate over pessimism/optimism though.  It requires more of a leap to see general remarks that strike either a downbeat or upbeat note as having an impact.

I certainly think that calling young guys like Lewis Kidd “shite” or saying he should be released after only a couple of games is way over the top, unhelpful and pretty distasteful in my opinion
He's 24 with over 100 games under his belt at this level. It's pushing it to class him as a young guy. We can be as optimistic/supportive/positive as we like but the fact is he is shite in CM at this level. Have people forgotten he played plenty of games there in his first spell for us and it's not entirely based on his first two games back?

RB is a bit more capable but he isn't a good CM.

He's 24 with over 100 games under his belt at this level. It's pushing it to class him as a young guy. We can be as optimistic/supportive/positive as we like but the fact is he is shite in CM at this level. Have people forgotten he played plenty of games there in his first spell for us and it's not entirely based on his first two games back?

RB is a bit more capable but he isn't a good CM.

Someone saying today he hates playing RB, well mate your no a CM.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Good win today but still short in numbers and more inportant quality .

We need at least 4 players but it looks like we are only going to get 2 both will be loan signing  have to hope some young players step up..

Captain Obvious 

53 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Some of the results today were eye watering (cost me money at the bookies!). Just proves my point that it's early in the season to be writing off your team.  Her's hoping Annan do something for us against Morton.

I hope Annan beat Morton because I like Annan. Good people there. Whether they win or not makes little odds to us in the table though. If we are to get through, which is a long shot with a maximum of 8 points, we will have to win in 90 mins at Cappielow, probably by a few goals. If we do that Morton's result at Annan will be irrelevant. 

Although Annan getting something would open up the possibilty of clinching 2nd with a penalties win at Morton I suppose. It would be minor scant consolation though to get 2nd rather than 3rd but not go through. It is worth a couple of grand though. 

Lots of goals today and also lots of new memberships! Thank you to you all.

Another recent renewal is that of Queens Hall of Fame member Jim McCormick Great to have you re-join the Trust Jim.

Remember there is a chance to win a Queens season ticket in our members draw next week. Please support our work. Don’t delay join today.

13261BA0-377F-4131-89FC-4E6FFAAFC898.jpeg

On yesterday, thought first half we were decent from the off. There goal was a strange one, kilday thought he was fouled, boy got in front from that put a cross in it held up in wind, and boy put it in albeit deflected. Again I didn’t think our midfield was particularly good bar Connor Murray who was superb, but we were controlling the game scoring 4 well worked goals. Second half we controlled, Hamilton,Murray, holt all breaking through and should’ve worked there keeper more.

On the players, as said before Kidd looked a lot more at home at RB than he ever has at CM. Paton I thought was okay but had a 10/15 minute where he was pretty wasteful when he was on the wing, went into middle of park and I thought he strolled it, and it brought more from Pybus. Really wasn’t impressed with Mccarthy, started brightly but he just seems to kick it way he’s facing usually to the opposition. Murray, Oliver and Dobbie all mixed it up well, some of the play between them was class. Oliver done really well up against two massive centre half’s. Thought Hamilton looked slightly better than I’ve seen him so far, think a goal would do his confidence no harm.

Two young boys looked pretty decent when they came on which was nice to see, so used to them coming on and looking like there going to shite themselves. Gourlay never had much to do defensively but on ball was very good. Irving the first thing he done was skin 3 players, could do to bulk up a bit though after that he tried to get by but seemed to always get outmuscled, but he kept trying.