The Queen of the South thread

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, BeeJay said:
I thought Michael Paton's post match interview with Sandra was quite telling. He just came across as someone who couldn't be arsed. He seemed neither happy nor relieved at getting a full time contract. Had this been a new to the club young player then perhaps it was nerves, but not someone who has been around the block a few times. Contrast Paton's interview with Dan Pybus after Saturday's game. He was up for it, enthusiastic, happy to be at the club and excited at the prospect of 'kicking on'. More the attitude I want to see.

I think that's harsh tbh. I thought he spoke quite well and it had an air of someone who has given a lot of interviews. I don't think he couldn't be arsed I think he seemed genuinely disappointed with the performance/result. He actually composed himself a wee bit better than AJ who was clearly (and rightly so) absolutely fizzing. Paton did say he wanted to kick on as well. I'd be more concerned if he did an interview in a really cheery manner after such an awful second half.

I though Paton spoke well and made some good points about players still getting to know each other etc and I thought AJ was extremely rude at one point to the interviewer when she mentioned other teams scores.,

I though Paton spoke well and made some good points about players still getting to know each other etc and I thought AJ was extremely rude at one point to the interviewer when she mentioned other teams scores.,
He was certainly abrupt but I didn't think he was rude. I'm glad that's AJ's view. After a performance like the second half I'm sure that's all he is bothered about, not how badly Dumbarton were beaten.

The obvious conclusion to draw at this early stage is that if we managed to finish second bottom last season with players like Doyle, McGuire, Wilson, Marshall, Todd, Jacobs,Stirling and Dykes at our disposal the prospects for this season are very challenging to say the least. To recruit a decent squad with only one signed player would have been a big ask even with a solid budget behind us but trying to do so with a quasi part time cash budget is pretty close to mission impossible. We are effectively picking up players that our “better off” rivals don’t want.

Hopefully we can get in another 3+ players that are all first team starters. If not then we need to get lucky and hope that the two PT teams are worse than us.

18 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The obvious conclusion to draw at this early stage is that if we managed to finish second bottom last season with players like Doyle, McGuire, Wilson, Marshall, Todd, Jacobs,Stirling and Dykes at our disposal the prospects for this season are very challenging to say the least. To recruit a decent squad with only one signed player would have been a big ask even with a solid budget behind us but trying to do so with a quasi part time cash budget is pretty close to mission impossible. We are effectively picking up players that our “better off” rivals don’t want.

Hopefully we can get in another 3+ players that are all first team starters. If not then we need to get lucky and hope that the two PT teams are worse than us.

Think saying the players we have signed are here due to other clubs not being interested is wrong.

Semple has offers to go back to England, Holt by all accounts is an upgrade on Marshall. Support has been desperate to have Murray playing. McCrorrie would defo had options. 

Please wait until loans have come in and everyone is fit.

if the players you have listed were so good and ready to fight for the cause then finishing second bottom doesn’t look great on them as players.

Overall with 5 players short of a full squad the performance against Motherwell was very good. Yes they tired as the game went on but it is still preseason.

A good first half last night and I agree a poor second half.

Its time to save judgement until a full squad is put together and everyone is fit.

Overall with 5 players short of a full squad the performance against Motherwell was very good. Yes they tired as the game went on but it is still preseason.
Its time to save judgement until a full squad is put together and everyone is fit.

So we're not allowed to comment on performances until this time?

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
55 minutes ago, SueSue said:

So we're not allowed to comment on performances until this time?

You can do what you like.

I will choose to save my comments until the full squad in place.

Which is fair enough but don't get upset with people commenting on what they've witnessed so far.

So to summarise so far for anyone who cant be arsed reading the last few pages: Kidd should be released, Paton should’nt play because of his poor interview technique , the management team are “clowns” and we are virtually certs for relegation. Jesus wept.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, Lyle2Dobbie said:
Manager saying previously he hoped for 4 or so more signings. They will all have to be midfielders now cos Kidd, McCarthy and Paton starting will relegate us! I would release Kidd after last night...and I don't think he could complain!

I think McCarthy has looked fine the last two games. I think he's an able replacement for the Jacobs role and he can find a pass as well. The trouble is that Kidd is sitting in front of the back 4 and is probably supposed to be doing the holding role. Given he can't tackle it's bizarre. The solution is getting Kidd out the team and putting McCarthy in front of the back 4.

You’ve been bang on the money with all of your assessments on Lewis Kidd. The fact he couldn’t cement a starting 11 spot in our shambles of a team last season speaks volumes. I thought he was destined for league 2 / lowland league football when he was released. Absolutely baffled a full-time team gave him a chance with the view to play him centre mid. He can’t tackle, is unfit and incredibly slow.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Which is fair enough but don't get upset with people commenting on what they've witnessed so far.

And don’t you get upset when some people think you should save judgement until the squad is complete.

You have posted enough to accept this is all about opinions.

For the record this forum never makes me upset. If I don’t agree with something I try to give my opinion. 

But I never get upset.

And don’t you get upset when some people think you should save judgement until the squad is complete.
For the record this forum never makes me upset. If I don’t agree with something I try to give my opinion. 
But I never get upset.
I'm not getting upset I just think it's ridiculous to suggest people shouldn't comment on what they've watched so far. Even without a "complete" squad we should have had enough last night to hold on to a 2 goal lead against a poor side from 2 divisions below.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, SueSue said:
But I never get upset.

I'm not getting upset I just think it's ridiculous to suggest people shouldn't comment on what they've watched so far. Even without a "complete" squad we should have had enough last night to hold on to a 2 goal lead against a poor side from 2 divisions below.

I get it 

I think my comment was more along the lines of people judging that we are going to struggle this season after watching the first two games. We can’t judge that until we have a full squad.

i certainly don’t have an issue with commenting on the games.

my mistake pal

3 hours ago, SueSue said:

Ok, without projecting ahead to how grim things might look, I don't honestly know that the Motherwell performance can be described as "very good".  It was decent in the first half and poor thereafter.

Last night, the first half was again the better one, but even that was a bit mixed.  The second was simply dreadful.  

It doesn't mean of course that the season ahead must unfold similarly.  Let's be realistic about what we've seen though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis