The Queen of the South thread

24 minutes ago, sonsism said:

13:09 onwards...

Looked completely finished at League 1 level last season. His attitude was also incredibly suspect however so he might have something to offer you that he couldn’t be bothered to show us.

Looks heavy there, put on a bit of timber 😂

I've seen many a player sign for Dumbarton over the years, followed by a plethora if comments about how shite they are, only for them to turn out to be good players for us, so I'm loathed to write this but I will anyway...

Michael Paton was seriously awful with us. He was unfit, slow and looked liked he just couldn't be arsed at all. I was convinced he'd end up in the Lowland League or at one of those oddball, high wage paying, Darvel type junior clubs after leaving us but alas he's found himself a deal at a bigger, full-time club in a higher division.

After hearing what Queens and Dunfermline fans had to say about him I had really high hopes for him. The general concesus was that he wasn't the quickest but was a solid grafter who possessed a bit of quality, particularly when it came to his final ball. Unfortunately I don't think he had a single good game for us, despite having plenty of chances. He shirked out of any 50/50 he found himself involved in and generally spent his time with us completely avoiding the ball. When he did end up with the ball he just seemed devoid of any sort of confidence or basic, general ability to do anything with it.

Despite all of the above I do hope he finds his feet again with Queens. I doubt he was deliberately god awful for Dumbarton and perhaps the full-time training will mean he's a bit sharper. He may well turn out to be decent backup I suppose but it's hard for me to judge what he will actually bring to your team after his time with us.

I must admit, despite Andy Stirling not setting the heather alight in Dumfries, this seems like a monumental downgrade for a player who looked completely finished at SPFL level last season.

As an ex-Doonhamer whose folks still live in the Toon, I keep a close eye on what’s going on at Queens and watch when I’m down.

I’d be questioning why oh why you are wasting a wage on Paton again. That is a horrendous signing. Is AJ just going for names he knows from years ago ? FFS.

Mind you if a top tier club sees something in Dykes anything is possible I guess.

6 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

As an ex-Doonhamer whose folks still live in the Toon, I keep a close eye on what’s going on at Queens and watch when I’m down.

I’d be questioning why oh why you are wasting a wage on Paton again. That is a horrendous signing. Is AJ just going for names he knows from years ago ? FFS.

Mind you if a top tier club sees something in Dykes anything is possible I guess.

The cheap option aka the norm for our club. 

We’ll miss Dykes this season...

I think Paton as backup off the bench is worth having.

Adds experience if trying to see out games and gives what is going to be a young squad a bit of experience......

If he shows up well and starts games then he will deserve it.

AJ knows what he is getting with this player and should be trusted in his decision to sign him.

I'm feeling a bit happier about the signing after hearing the views of a couple of Dumbarton fans.  If they are as spectacularly wrong about Paton as they were about Stirling and Martin then we've got ourselves a Ballon d'Or winner in Paton.

Adds experience if trying to see out games and gives what is going to be a young squad a bit of experience......
AJ knows what he is getting with this player and should be trusted in his decision to sign him.

I don't think we'll have the luxury of backup players. I expect Paton will be a regular starter. As it stands I think it's a poor signing but I thought that about Derek Lyle re-joining us from Cowdenbeath so I'll wait until I see him playing a few games before I judge him.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I thought that about Derek Lyle re-joining us from Cowdenbeath so I'll wait until I see him playing a few games before I judge him.

Fair point.

Remind me - what division did Lyle play for Cowdenbeath in?

Not overly impressed with the signing but in the recent friendly v Clyde. He did look sharp. I’m hoping another one that’s relatively cheap. He’s also pretty versatile, could play CM, on wings, no.10 or upfront. I’d rather have him CM than Lewis Kidd anyway. The jury is out on this one hopefully he shows us something tomorrow night

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair point.

Remind me - what division did Lyle play for Cowdenbeath in?

He won the then 3rd Division (now League 2) with Cowdenbeath.

I liked Michael Paton when he was here before, I wouldnt have let him leave as easily as James Fowler did. He then did well with Dunfermline but seems to have had a poor time of it at Dumbarton. He did however play well for 45 mins at East Fife and changed the game for the better against Clyde. He also gives us another older head in the changing room at 30 where there was a serious gap between Dobbie at 37 and Lee Kilday, next oldest at 27. Hopefully he will prove an asset.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

"We feel he still has something to offer" says Johnston.  

He doesn't sound particularly whelmed either.

He correctly released him Dunfermline last year, he's not excelled since then at a lower level so it's a weird signing. 

I never liked or trusted him the first time. 

He's the sort of player who knocks his back out to get a deal then eases off having gained a contract.

He'll get himself on the long term injury list know doubt. 

Hope I'm badly wrong. 

Welcome back to Queens  Michael Paton,  looks like your biggest job will be winning a lot of "fans"  over. It's sad  though when  players are condemned before they've even kicked a ball in anger for us.