The Queen of the South thread

Oliver was there he will be OK for the Annan game. M Paton & L Brown were also sat with Oliver, Semple & Leighfield. Don't think we deserved to lose 3-0, lack of depth in squad showed, This competition is far too early for clubs like Queens who rely on players on loan from premiership teams once they confirm there squads. Sure by the first league game in Aug we will have another 4/5 bodies to call on. 
Did you talk to Oliver or are you just guessing he'll be OK?

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
Oliver was there he will be OK for the Annan game. M Paton & L Brown were also sat with Oliver, Semple & Leighfield. Don't think we deserved to lose 3-0, lack of depth in squad showed, This competition is far too early for clubs like Queens who rely on players on loan from premiership teams once they confirm there squads. Sure by the first league game in Aug we will have another 4/5 bodies to call on. 

Did you talk to Oliver or are you just guessing he'll be OK?

Spoke to Gary.

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
45 minutes ago, Kunter said:
I forgot we were playing SPL opposition in the first half. 
By the second they'd worked out Mercer was easy meat and pushed on from there. 
Dobbie running solo should just be a one off. 
Couple more players and we should easily be a strong mid table team. 

Harsh on Mercer. He had absolutely no protection. Murray should have been swapped with Hamilton as he would have at least helped.

Yeah, suppose it's harsh from the point of view we don't play SPL opposition week in week out but he gets found wanting pretty badly one on one when he's up against pace. 

Result was fair in that the better team over 90 mins won. No doubts.

The margin flattered them though. Prior to two goals in injury tine it was a tale of two penalties and two sitters. Motherwell's is never a penalty. The boy slipped. Mercer didnt touch him. We should have had a penalty (& Motherwell a red card) when the boy punched the ball off the line first half. 

Pybus missed a sitter hitting over an open goal with his left foot. Motherwell hit the bar from what amounted to an open goal too early in the second half.

Lack of depth though obviously. With Leighfield, Semple and Oliver out we only had 4 subs, one of whom met his teammates today, and one yesterday! 

Agreed that this was never a 3-0 game. Thought we did well in the first half and should have been at least one up. But in the second half, particularly when Motherwell put on Seedorf for number 44 (think that was his number) then the wheels came off the bus...Mercer could not control him Seedorf. Some promising signs and we were beaten by Premier opposition who came with a full bench. Thought Pybus did reasonably well although tired late on. Not convinced with Hamilton and  McCarthy but it is early days. We'll get a better idea after the next three games.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Result was fair in that the better team over 90 mins won. No doubts.

The margin flattered them though. Prior to two goals in injury tine it was a tale of two penalties and two sitters. Motherwell's is never a penalty. The boy slipped. Mercer didnt touch him. We should have had a penalty (& Motherwell a red card) when the boy punched the ball off the line first half. 

Pybus missed a sitter hitting over an open goal with his left foot. Motherwell hit the bar from what amounted to an open goal too early in the second half.

Lack of depth though obviously. With Leighfield, Semple and Oliver out we only had 4 subs, one of whom met his teammates today, and one yesterday! 

Did not see the hand ball wondered what Dobbie was claiming for

Pybus was not really a sitter the ball came at him quickly and a defender was quickly closing him down .

Had a good view of the Motherwell pen he conned the ref it was a clear dive Mercer never touched him then or the last 20 mins .

Very short in numbers but more inportant short in quality.

How many loans are we allowed it was just that McCall at Ayr says they only have one left 

I never saw it clear enough to get annoyed but Dobbie and some other players were going apeshit so I assumed they thought the boy handled it. I didn't think Pybus's was a sitter tbh, I just think he couldn't manage to get his foot around it. I never thought it was an open goal certainly.

There was a lot of positives about today’s game especially first half were I thought we were unlucky not to be in front .
We have a keeper that can come for and catch a cross .
Hamilton I thought played well for a striker being asked to play wide and track back .
Kilday will be a solid edition to the squad .
McCarthy reminded me a bit of McKenna with his ball winning tackles thou may be a yard short of pace . Pybus could be a player if given time to develop and not force to play week in week out
Kidd criticism was harsh asking him to play in centre mid role but he gave 100%
Iain Wilson released from kille so I dont think we will have a chance of signing him if it is down to money but if lad wants to develop it will be a great place for him to play

29 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Did not see the hand ball wondered what Dobbie was claiming for

Pybus was not really a sitter the ball came at him quickly and a defender was quickly closing him down .

Had a good view of the Motherwell pen he conned the ref it was a clear dive Mercer never touched him then or the last 20 mins .

Very short in numbers but more inportant short in quality.

How many loans are we allowed it was just that McCall at Ayr says they only have one left 

We are allowed 4 domestic loans (used two on McCrorie and Hamilton). No limit on foreign loans.

Dont think the Motherwell penalty is a dive to be fair. I had one look at the video footage and it looks like he slips. I didnt see any contact from Merce though.

Surprised at the criticism of Hamilton. Thought he did quite well. I also dont think we sat deliberately deep isolating Dobbie second half, I just dont think we could get out. Motherwell were terrific second half and very much improved with the two subs.

As for the Pybus chance, appreciate it was maybe just behind him and on his wrong foot but it was an open goal insofar as anything on target was scoring. Keeper was out of it. He lookrd keen to get forward though. Not sure we have had a midfielder get beyond his strikers as often since John O'Neill. Hopefully should be good for a few goals.

24 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Iain Wilson released from kille so I dont think we will have a chance of signing him if it is down to money but if lad wants to develop it will be a great place for him to play

He signed a contract extension in January as well. 

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We are allowed 4 domestic loans (used two on McCrorie and Hamilton). No limit on foreign loans.

Dont think the Motherwell penalty is a dive to be fair. I had one look at the video footage and it looks like he slips. I didnt see any contact from Merce though.

Surprised at the criticism of Hamilton. Thought he did quite well. I also dont think we sat deliberately deep isolating Dobbie second half, I just dont think we could get out. Motherwell were terrific second half and very much improved with the two subs.

As for the Pybus chance, appreciate it was maybe just behind him and on his wrong foot but it was an open goal insofar as anything on target was scoring. Keeper was out of it. He lookrd keen to get forward though. Not sure we have had a midfielder get beyond his strikers as often since John O'Neill. Hopefully should be good for a few goals.

I'd still say the Pybus one was a very good chance rather than a sitter or an open goal.

I felt that in the second half, we really invited trouble by failing to do any pressing at all.  On the rare occasions when Motherwell had the ball in their own half, they were able to walk it forward to within forty yards of our goal before they met anyone.  The penalty resulted from just one such occasion.  

Motherwell were better than us and they should be.  In the second half though, I think they found it too easy.

There was a lot of positives about today’s game especially first half were I thought we were unlucky not to be in front .
Hamilton I thought played well for a striker being asked to play wide and track back .
McCarthy reminded me a bit of McKenna with his ball winning tackles thou may be a yard short of pace . Pybus could be a player if given time to develop and not force to play week in week out

Released when he was on bench for them on Thursday night?

Eh? He has been given the number 8 and has played midfield in the past. He's quite clearly been signed to play CM. The way you're putting it is that it was an unfamiliar role for him. That wasn't the case at all. The problem is that he just isn't good enough for CM. He'll be our weak link more often than not during the season if we don't get some more midfielders in.

Iain Wilson released?