The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I suppose I sort of am.

Ostensibly, a football club organising a football match to mark a significant milestone sounds sensible enough.  I'm just struggling to conceive of a realistic fixture that would be attractive for either me, or loads of traditionally uninterested locals.

This. And I doubt any attractive opposition are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the call.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Danny Irving is a full back. Right back generally.

Did you mean Ross Irving? Although he is probably more of a striker than a midfielder.

That's worse then! I was going by official site player info listing D IRVING as a midfielder, No I knew Ross Irving is a winger/striker. 

On the subject of midfielders the trialist McCarthy (ex Partick) looked a decent option based on his showing against East Fife. Don’t think he played against Clyde which perhaps indicates that either we didn’t want him or he didn’t want us.

On the subject of midfielders the trialist McCarthy (ex Partick) looked a decent option based on his showing against East Fife. Don’t think he played against Clyde which perhaps indicates that either we didn’t want him or he didn’t want us.

Never played, Liam brown did. Looked okay, thought if we were signing any of them it’d be done by now. Obviously looking for quality in midfield which is needed and our squad will be looking good. Really hope Iain Wilson becomes an option

1 minute ago, the_palmy_pie said:

If you don’t like the new away strip then don’t buy it.

It’s quite simply really. 

I take it you don't work in the Club's Commercial Department with that attitude. 

I'd be surprised if another full time team took a punt on Mccarthy, tries hard enough but painfully slow and doesn't really make up for it elsewhere. Which seems to be what your management decided. 

Yes I thought he looked slow in the East Fife friendly. Tidy enough on the ball but I’d be hopeful we could get something better.

4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

That's worse then! I was going by official site player info listing D IRVING as a midfielder, No I knew Ross Irving is a winger/striker. 

Does it? 🙄

(Aye, ok it did. I've changed it. Apparently he was a midfielder when he arrived at the club at 12 years old and it hasn't been changed in his profile since. He's a full back though).

Any pubs near the ground you guys would recommend? Away fan friendly.
Devorgilla, Globe, Sally and Spread Eagle are probably your best bet for proximity. There is a Weatherspoons in the centre of town and most pubs are about a 15/20 minute walk to the ground. The ones mentioned are about 5/10 min away.

All pubs will be away fan friendly though as the majority of the town won't even know Queens are playing. The Queens fans who will be having a pre-match pint will be friendly enough as well.

What's the Motherwell "young team" like btw? I know Hamilton have a group of fuckwits, is it similar for Motherwell?

4 hours ago, LinkinFighter said:

Any pubs near the ground you guys would recommend? Away fan friendly.

Pre match banter with Queens fans in the aforementioned Globe (Market Square) and the Devorgilla. Also Qos fans will be in the New Bazzar on Whitesands next to the river. If you want good quality pub grub Cavens Arms is the place. 6/7 minutes walk from Palmerston. No young children allowed though. 

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can report that the sign has been updated to carry details of our upcoming League Cup fixtures.

I solemnly confess however to having played no active part in the updating process.

Since taking over the running of the match day advertising sign at the start of last season we(SLO COMMITTEE) have had zero issues.Unfortunately due to staffing issues and annual leave the sign was updated slightly later than planned for the forthcoming Motherwell and Annan bet fred cup matches.However we will be back on track for the remainder of the season hopefully you will also have noticed that several volunteers cut back the branches which were causing an obstruction and cleaned and painted the sign. We also secured sponsorship of the sign and match day posters from the Queens trust which is a great help financially.   

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the Motherwell "young team" like btw? I know Hamilton have a group of fuckwits, is it similar for Motherwell?

Nah. Hamilton's lot think they're casuals. The young laddies that follow Motherwell are more 'Ultra' and have always been up for a laugh and a carry on. Usually find it's boys in their 40's/50's that follow Motherwell that have never grown up and still want a tear up. 

2 hours ago, Pengie1919 said:

Since taking over the running of the match day advertising sign at the start of last season we(SLO COMMITTEE) have had zero issues.Unfortunately due to staffing issues and annual leave the sign was updated slightly later than planned for the forthcoming Motherwell and Annan bet fred cup matches.However we will be back on track for the remainder of the season hopefully you will also have noticed that several volunteers cut back the branches which were causing an obstruction and cleaned and painted the sign. We also secured sponsorship of the sign and match day posters from the Queens trust which is a great help financially.   

Well done all concerned.

I noticed that at the same time the sign got a tidy, that big Coffee Shop sign got dragged to a new resting place.  Are there plans for its removal, do you know?