The Queen of the South thread

Ffs, this place is unreal [emoji38] Why is it blind optimism is ok but when someone posts something realistic they are classed as doom mongers? Nothing has been said that isn't factually correct. If you had to list every single player in the division from best to worst, we would have a few players down near the bottom. That's not criticising them, it's stating a fact. Some people need to relax a bit.

Exactly this. It may just happen to be that the doom and gloomers speak up more for themselves when it comes to P&B, but there are certainly many inbetweeners and positive outlookers on Queens dealings. Don't get me wrong, a few of these doom and gloomers I imagine are the ones that like to be heard in the pubs before and after the games and probably had the cheek to find a fault in our 5-0 dismantling of Ayr last year for example! [emoji19]

I'm a pessimist/realist (so a "doom and gloomer" by your standards I'd imagine) and it's the complete opposite for me. I will post my frustrations on here throughout the season but I will never attack a player at the game. For a good while I couldn't be doing with Mercer and he frustrated the life out of me but I never once shouted abuse at him. I don't see how any good can come from berating a player. On here is different, the players can quite easily choose not to read it. At the game they don't have much of a choice.

If players cant read this and cant handle reading abit of criticism about them, then what hope do they have of mentally coping with the demands of professional football? What their attitude should be is "I'll show you I can be a decent player at this level". At present some of those on our books at their very best have been no more than average at this level hence the honest post from Palmy Cammy. Every player should get the same treatment when it comes to age. Too often we have been mollycoddling and protecting youngsters from the truth (that they arent very good) and they have ended up having very average careers. Maybe a few home truths will be good and spur them to improve.

3 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Come on, we need some more panic about this game and moaning is also encouraged. 

Well seeing as you raised the subject,  I'm a bit concerned that nothing has been organised as yet,  as far as I know.  I'm sure there are other events organised to mark the occasion, such as a  golf day,  dinner event possibly,  but no obvious word of any football match which is what most are interested in I would guess.  Now that the new season is virtually upon us will the club be able to find the time or opposition of any calibre to stage what should be a big glamour game. Maybe plans are being worked on to bring about this game but it certainly seems to be being kept under wraps.  

12th October is a free Saturday (at present).  Presume that is set aside for internationals/Tunnocks Cup fixtures?  If so - and if we're out of the Wafercup - then we could maybe get Killie/Leeds/Valencia/Harlem Globetrotters booked in for then.

23th November is also empty, but I'd assume that will be a Scottish Cup Saturday (which we'd be involved).

6 minutes ago, BigRubberFist said:

12th October is a free Saturday (at present).  Presume that is set aside for internationals/Tunnocks Cup fixtures?  If so - and if we're out of the Wafercup - then we could maybe get Killie/Leeds/Valencia/Harlem Globetrotters booked in for then.

23th November is also empty, but I'd assume that will be a Scottish Cup Saturday (which we'd be involved).

You're right about both dates. We can't possibly be out of the Tunnocks Cup by then, it's the first round we come in at.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd have very little interest in some friendly against someone to serve such a purpose anyway.

If it was a big club, they'd sure as Hell not be fielding anyone of note at those times of year.   

Are you saying you don't think the Club should mark its Centenary by organising a "special"  game? It would be more appropriate than dinners or golf days IMO. Obviously the longer it drags on there is less likelihood of such a game taking place although arrangements may be well under way behind the scenes for all we know. 

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Are you saying you don't think the Club should mark its Centenary by organising a "special"  game? It would be more appropriate than dinners or golf days IMO. Obviously the longer it drags on there is less likelihood of such a game taking place although arrangements may be well under way behind the scenes for all we know. 

Yes, I suppose I sort of am.

Ostensibly, a football club organising a football match to mark a significant milestone sounds sensible enough.  I'm just struggling to conceive of a realistic fixture that would be attractive for either me, or loads of traditionally uninterested locals.

6 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don't know exactly how much Border Cars put into QoS but it'll be a blow if they do fold.  Rumoured  they were closing all of their showrooms and workshops in the region except the Terregles St one in Dumfries which was being downsized.  Hopefully our Commercial Department can get other backers if this comes about. 

When a prominent local employer is in serious trouble, I struggle to view it in terms of what it might mean for my favourite football team.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I suppose I sort of am.

Ostensibly, a football club organising a football match to mark a significant milestone sounds sensible enough.  I'm just struggling to conceive of a realistic fixture that would be attractive for either me, or loads of traditionally uninterested locals.

I suppose that's the problem.  Would any of the clubs that share a Centenary with us interest the support enough,  or as you said earlier,  bring a strong recognisable team. Maybe just my own feeling but I get the impression that the disappointing last two-thirds  of  last season,  the subsequent hiring of a new Manager and the necessary recruitment of a few players had taken the BoD's focus off the Centenary.  I may be talking complete balderdash though. 

I'd much prefer something different than a match against someone that probably wont interest me for our Centenary Year. 

Something like a big family fun day for all ages with the players and staff involved too. Thing's like beat the goalie etc. It would attract people who have probably never been to Palmerston and if they get to meet the players and obviously have a fun day, then it could maybe attract more people to come and up the attendances. 

1 minute ago, QoS_1919 said:

I'd much prefer something different than a match against someone that probably wont interest me for our Centenary Year. 

Something like a big family fun day for all ages with the players and staff involved too. Thing's like beat the goalie etc. It would attract people who have probably never been to Palmerston and if they get to meet the players and obviously have a fun day, then it could maybe attract more people to come and up the attendances. 

They've already done plenty of stuff like that though.  It doesn't sound very different in terms of marking a one-off event.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When a prominent local employer is in serious trouble, I struggle to view it in terms of what it might mean for my favourite football team.

Obviously the effect it has on the employees, and town,  is far greater and disappointing than what little effect it may have on QoS,  but I was responding to a post linking Border Cars with QoS.  I know a couple of people who work for that Company and,  having been in a similar position myself in the past,  I can appreciate the effect of potentially losing your job has.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They've already done plenty of stuff like that though.  It doesn't sound very different in terms of marking a one-off event.

Yeah that's true. I'd still prefer something a bit different and like you said, a one of event. 

37 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Obviously the effect it has on the employees, and town,  is far greater and disappointing than what little effect it may have on QoS,  but I was responding to a post linking Border Cars with QoS.  I know a couple of people who work for that Company and,  having been in a similar position myself in the past,  I can appreciate the effect of potentially losing your job has.

The ship started sinking about 6 months ago .