The Queen of the South thread

48 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You've not listed anyone as being gash at this level,  although some of the "unproven"  ones have still to prove they're not,   obviously.   On that basis I would say we're just about where you would expect a club with our budget to be. Its a bit too early for me to be getting all optimistic about top four finishes,  but,  like a few others,  I'm just slightly a bit more confident of not flirting with the bottom 2 positions.  My confidence may prove to be misplaced but not having post - January Naysmith in charge is another factor in me happily looking forward to the new season. 

I didn't want seem like I was on a complete downer, but since you asked:

Leighfield is pretty gash but will do as a backup.  Mercer is at the gash end of decent.  Kidd if played in midfield is beyond gash, and Oliver is a non-scoring attacker which is gash.

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's about the size of it.

If anything, the 'decent' description is on the generous side for one or two.   We're needing some to really come onto a game this season, or It might again be hard going.  

Indeed.

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I didn't want seem like I was on a complete downer, but since you asked:

Leighfield is pretty gash but will do as a backup.  Mercer is at the gash end of decent.  Kidd if played in midfield is beyond gash, and Oliver is a non-scoring attacker which is gash.

Indeed.

You've missed out Brownlie,  he's surely gash end of decent also and that's maybe being kind. I'll reserve judgement on Kidd to see where/how  he plays.  I would be more worried about him at RB.  I would also put Kilday in the next category up.  As I intimated originally,  we've probably just about got the spread of abilities that our budget allows for. 

I'm afraid I'm not getting the wave of optimism that is washing over a few.  We are still quite a few bodies short so hopefully things will improve if/when these players come in.  Looking at the breakdown of the squad just now, it appears worryingly lacking in ability.

Exceptional at this level:

Dobbie

Good at this level:

Holt

Semple

McCrorie

Decent at this level:

Leighfield

Mercer

Kilday

Brownlie

Murray

Kidd

Oliver

Unproven at this level:

Pybus

Hamilton

Irving x2

Gourlay

Hoping Murray proves to be good at this level, very impressed with him at tail end of last season and from what I’ve seen so far this. Seems to have bulked a little more as well. Probably agree with most, hopefully they go on to show us different.

100% need 2/3 good midfielders in, to be very positive although I am intrigued to see how we get on with what’s been signed so far

It's not so much the quality I'm worried about, it's the risk of injury. Obviously any player can pick up an injury at any time but Brownlie, Oliver, Kilday, Dobbie and Paton (when he inevitably signs) have had pretty bad injuries recently. If they all play up again we could be in serious bother. Here's hoping it doesn't happen obviously.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not so much the quality I'm worried about, it's the risk of injury. Obviously any player can pick up an injury at any time but Brownlie, Oliver, Kilday, Dobbie and Paton (when he inevitably signs) have had pretty bad injuries recently. If they all play up again we could be in serious bother. Here's hoping it doesn't happen obviously.

I wouldn't say Dobbie's had 'bad' injuries as such.  He's had a couple that have sidelined him for a month each time. Obviously he's getting no younger, and he's so vitally important that we're all scared of being without him at all.    However, I'd say a feature of this spell is how injury free he's managed to be.

Brownlies was a freak one tbf, it’s not something he’s had before. Dobbie probably needs to be managed correctly, when we can pull him off if job is done then we should.

Really hope Paton isn’t signed

I wouldn't say Dobbie's had 'bad' injuries as such.  He's had a couple that have sidelined him for a month each time. Obviously he's getting no younger, and he's so vitally important that we're all scared of being without him at all.    However, I'd say a feature of this spell is how injury free he's managed to be.
Any Dobbie injury is bad for us [emoji38] Could have worded it better, but I meant he was out for a spell. And at his age it's more likely to happen again unfortunately.

Brownlies was a freak one tbf, it’s not something he’s had before. Dobbie probably needs to be managed correctly, when we can pull him off if job is done then we should.

Really hope Paton isn’t signed
I can't even recall what he had just that he was out for a long time. But being out for such a long time just gives me the fear it could happen again. As I said though, it could happen to any player. Hopefully we manage to avoid them and it's a needless worry.

Indeed.
Really I think your being very harsh on a young lad who was throwing in a the deep end it was the so called experienced players who let him down imo,

59 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Season hasn't even started yet and our players are getting called "gash." 

Kind of what I was thinking. Do these guys read this? Not exactly encouraging!

12 hours ago, SueSue said:

In the space of a few hours it’s gone from quietly optimistic to doom and gloom.

how did that happen ?

I blame palmy_cammy for categorising players and introducing a bit of reality.  Personally I've supported Queens long enough to err on the side of glass half empty until proved otherwise approach.  Even if some fans optimism is proved to be well-founded it can all go wrong pretty quickly as last season proved. 

12 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

BORDER CARS in major financial trouble and closing some or all of its garages. 

Aren't they a major sponsor of Queens and don’t they supply the car for our deluxe draw ?

I heard that story at the weekend from a relative of someone who works there.  I don't know exactly how much Border Cars put into QoS but it'll be a blow if they do fold.  Rumoured  they were closing all of their showrooms and workshops in the region except the Terregles St one in Dumfries which was being downsized.  Hopefully our Commercial Department can get other backers if this comes about. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

17 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

Season hasn't even started yet and our players are getting called "gash." 

16 hours ago, louisxiv said:

Kind of what I was thinking. Do these guys read this? Not exactly encouraging!

Agree with this. 

I guess some people are just easily led. The OP started out by saying Leighfield, Mercer and Oliver are decent. Then someone pointed out the "lack of gash" as a reason to be optimistic, and OP - rather than just accept that the second poster had a valid point about being optimistic - decided it was better to tear down a handful of young players in our squad. 

Understandable that the players look at this website even if they shouldn't. A lot of their careers and ability to perform is based on what people think of them. Of course they are going to look.

Fair enough criticise players throughout the season if it's deserved but calling young players gash when they are actually doing alright, just for the sake of not being wrong on a football forum, is the definition of talking shite.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

It wouldn't be a Queen of the South crowd, forum or gathering without the same old shouts, posts or voices of pure doom and gloom.  It's been a speciality of our crowd since I can remember.  Rather than say nothing at all they would rather kick and drag the team and all those around them down with there absolute negativity. 😴😴😴

It wouldn't be a Queen of the South crowd, forum or gathering without the same old shouts, posts or voices of pure doom and gloom.  It's been a speciality of our crowd since I can remember.  Rather than say nothing at all they would rather kick and drag the team and all those around them down with there absolute negativity. [emoji42][emoji42][emoji42]

Some truth in this but not sure that makes us different from almost any other group of football fans TBH.

Every group of fans has the doom and gloomers as well as the happy clappers and pretty much everything in between

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Some truth in this but not sure that makes us different from almost any other group of football fans TBH.

Every group of fans has the doom and gloomers as well as the happy clappers and pretty much everything in between

Exactly this. It may just happen to be that the doom and gloomers speak up more for themselves when it comes to P&B, but there are certainly many inbetweeners and positive outlookers on Queens dealings. Don't get me wrong, a few of these doom and gloomers I imagine are the ones that like to be heard in the pubs before and after the games and probably had the cheek to find a fault in our 5-0 dismantling of Ayr last year for example! 😒

It would be a very boring place if everyone shared the same views on every topiic,  and the number of posters would drop off dramatically if those easily offended or those . criticised for being too vociferous took the huff and didn't come back. It's only a football forum after all in which a cross section of society,  mostly annonomously,  air their views,  it's not a summit of world leaders. Compared to some other Club threads ours is probably one of the least contentious anyway. 

That must be a “full house” on pre-season bingo now?

We’ve had panic when we didn’t sign an entire squad the week after the season ended.

Criticism about the friendlies being closed door and not playing a “glamour friendly”.

And now the latest instalment of “happy clappers vs doom mongers”.

Have I missed any?