The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Information which has been on the OS for about a week. 

There are no "20s" any more either so there are no age limits on the Reserve squad.

True but not posted anywhere on pie and Bovril so thought I'd give it a wee mention as given his age you'd imagine he's here to challenge relatively immenintly for a 1st team spot. Is everything ok r.e work permit etc? 

Just now, football maniac said:

True but not posted anywhere on pie and Bovril so thought I'd give it a wee mention as given his age you'd imagine he's here to challenge relatively immenintly for a 1st team spot. Is everything ok r.e work permit etc? 

He's not here to be remotely near the first team, at least for the moment, and why would he need a work permit?

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's not here to be remotely near the first team, at least for the moment, and why would he need a work permit?

I guess as he's from Guadeloupe im not clued up on what is required. I know dzierzawski had problems with either a visa or work permit. 

6 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I guess as he's from Guadeloupe im not clued up on what is required. I know dzierzawski had problems with either a visa or work permit. 

Guadelope is part of France. He has a French passport and the right to work wherever he wishes in the EC (which we are for the moment anyway still part of).

Dzierzawski was American, and unlike David Norman, Ian McGrath, Lyndon Dykes, etc, didn't have a British passport.

19 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

He's been given squad number 8.  :(

As it stands with the players signed he will be in first 11 playing midfield until we bring midfielders in prob onoan for league campaign. 

Glad to see that, once again, Queens players have avoided going for unnecessary squad numbers.  No Championship club should have any numbers beyond 30, imo.

The day I see a Queens sub coming on wearing any number north of 60, I'll mutter an expletive followed by something along the lines of "this game is dead to me..." 

5 minutes ago, BigRubberFist said:

Glad to see that, once again, Queens players have avoided going for unnecessary squad numbers.  No Championship club should have any numbers beyond 30, imo.

The day I see a Queens sub coming on wearing any number north of 60, I'll mutter an expletive followed by something along the lines of "this game is dead to me..." 

The worst I've ever seen was when Derek Riordan went back to Hibs and the number 10 was already occupied so he got the number 01. 

6 minutes ago, BigRubberFist said:

🤣

They don't generally get the chance to be fair. We don't number shirts above 30 unless we've run out of numbers below that! New players coming in have been given their choice from what's not taken up to 30. Callum Semple is the only new player so far to consciously choose a number outside the 1st eleven. He chose to take 18 while the likes of 4 and 6 (and his old QoS number 12) were all still available.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

🤣

They don't generally get the chance to be fair. We don't number shirts above 30 unless we've run out of numbers below that! New players coming in have been given their choice from what's not taken up to 30. Callum Semple is the only new player so far to consciously choose a number outside the 1st eleven. He chose to take 18 while the likes of 4 and 6 (and his old QoS number 12) were all still available.

I am old fashioned I guess. 

If a CB gets the chance of 4,5 or 6 you should nab it quick sharp.

not too bothered what number they use although as an old git its still 4 and 5 for the CBs, 2 and 3 for the FBs 9 for the CF and 11 and 7 for the wingers. Often wonder how that set up would fare in today's game

On 06/07/2019 at 20:21, oldhat said:

We do need two or three additional signings, but I have to say that I'm looking forward to this season more than I was last year.

Same. Think we could do really well this year with a couple more quality signings! Feeling positive. 

Could do with 2/3 more signings before the weekend, Midfielders a Priority, then another couple of loan signings before the league starts in Aug and I think we will be ready to compete with the rest this season. 

I'm afraid I'm not getting the wave of optimism that is washing over a few.  We are still quite a few bodies short so hopefully things will improve if/when these players come in.  Looking at the breakdown of the squad just now, it appears worryingly lacking in ability.

Exceptional at this level:

Dobbie

Good at this level:

Holt

Semple

McCrorie

Decent at this level:

Leighfield

Mercer

Kilday

Brownlie

Murray

Kidd

Oliver

Unproven at this level:

Pybus

Hamilton

Irving x2

Gourlay

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm afraid I'm not getting the wave of optimism that is washing over a few.  We are still quite a few bodies short so hopefully things will improve if/when these players come in.  Looking at the breakdown of the squad just now, it appears worryingly lacking in ability.

Dobbie

Good at this level:

Holt

Semple

McCrorie

Decent at this level:

Leighfield

Mercer

Kilday

Brownlie

Murray

Kidd

Oliver

Unproven at this level:

Pybus

Hamilton

Irving x2

Gourlay

You've not listed anyone as being gash at this level,  although some of the "unproven"  ones have still to prove they're not,   obviously.   On that basis I would say we're just about where you would expect a club with our budget to be. Its a bit too early for me to be getting all optimistic about top four finishes,  but,  like a few others,  I'm just slightly a bit more confident of not flirting with the bottom 2 positions.  My confidence may prove to be misplaced but not having post - January Naysmith in charge is another factor in me happily looking forward to the new season. 

48 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dobbie

Good at this level:

Holt

Semple

McCrorie

Decent at this level:

Leighfield

Mercer

Kilday

Brownlie

Murray

Kidd

Oliver

Unproven at this level:

Pybus

Hamilton

Irving x2

Gourlay

Yes, that's about the size of it.

If anything, the 'decent' description is on the generous side for one or two.   We're needing some to really come onto a game this season, or It might again be hard going.