The Queen of the South thread

On 02/07/2019 at 09:43, steakpiegravy said:

To be fair though Dobbie went through a fairly prolonged spell of unDobbieness last season where the main issue was we didn't have any obvious replacement. I'd hope AJ in those circumstances has the balls to drop him to the bench and play Murray.

I doubt that, in our first season Faiss was our main striker and played whenever he was fit, went through a run of games where he didn't score and he didn't even get subbed. 

Next couple of seasons it was Nicky Clarke it was the same, and at the start of last it was Faiss, who was constantly played during the start of the season despite not scoring until about December! 

He got asked about it at the meet the managers night and his reasoning was that even if a natural goalscorer is having a bad game its better to keep them on as they're more likely to pop up, he would always sub Moffat/McManus before Faiss/Clarke for that reason. Unless the game is utterly over and you're cruising Dobbie will play as much as he's physically capable. 

21 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Were you there last night SD? From what I gather the starting trialists were Paton, McCarthy and a mystery goalie. Of the 4 on the bench I guess 2 were Brown and Quitongo with 2 unknowns. Did anyone catch the eye? How did Paton in particular look. From what Dumbarton fans were saying he was in a sorry state fitness wise last season and showed little when he was fit. 

I was there. I know who the Trialists were but am not at liberty to say (though it was NOT McCrorie in goal and I don't see any point in pretending it wasn't Mick Paton wearing no 7 as we all know who he is).

Paton had a really good first half hour and was involved in a lot. Made our second goal. I thought our Trialist No 10 did well but it was 70 mins against a League 1 side so it's hard to be sure. I don't think you could really tell much for the last 20 mins when both sides had made so many changes.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Unless the game is utterly over and you're cruising Dobbie will play as much as he's physically capable. 

I'd be angered by anything else to be honest.

Dropping or even resting Dobbie during our dreadful, prolonged slump would have been madness.

Wouldn't be surprised to see junior Clark back playing for daddy and Johnston, maybe on loan, or the lad Smith who was impressive for St Mirren. Now Shankland has gone  to Utd they have a surplus of strikers. Neilson didn't bring in either of those two in so I would expect they'll be the first to go.

Just my thoughts though and not that I'd want the former.

Wouldn't be surprised to see junior Clark back playing for daddy and Johnston, maybe on loan, or the lad Smith who was impressive for St Mirren. Now Shankland has gone  to Utd they have a surplus of strikers. Neilson didn't bring in either of those two in so I would expect they'll be the first to go.

You wouldnt take Nicky Clark back? Wow.
Id love to see him and Dobbie up front together. Two 40 goals per season strikers together. We might even avoid the relegation play-offs this time!

9 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Id love to see him and Dobbie up front together. Two 40 goals per season strikers together. We might even avoid the relegation play-offs this time!

Hawk has an irrational hatred of Nicky Clark and has had for years.

I'd take NickyClark in a heartbeat. I'm not sure I wouldn't still have him above Shankland as the next best striker at this level behind the Messiah.

I wouldn't be against him returning but lets not put them in the same bracket with regards to their achievements. Dobbie scored those goals in a poor side in a decent division. Clark achieved it in a (far too) good side in a gutter league.

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

Smith is not a striker and was signed by Neilson.

Edited by Stu

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

We've got three first team strikers, not sure that counts as a surplus (or even a surfeit).  And Neilson did sign Cammy Smith incidentally. Very much doubt that either will be away (although I wouldn't be greatly fussed to see Smith go).

Friendly
East Fife v Queen of the South, 1-2, H.T. 0-2, Att c.300, Admission £10, Teamsheets free, Steak Pie and Coffee £3.20
At New Bayview Stadium

Much of the fun of these games is trying to work out who the unnamed trialists are. Queens’ number 7 looked really familiar and was playing really well. His team mates were calling him Mikey, and we eventually twigged it was Michael Paton, a former Queens player most recently with Dunfermline. The Dumfries side narrowly escaped relegation last season but already they look in better shape going into the new campaign. The experienced management duo of Alan Johnston and Sandy Clark may not be the most scintillating appointments but they have the savvy to keep the club mid-table at worst.

Their talisman remains striker Stephen Dobbie. He scored over 40 goals last season and is absolutely outstanding at this level. His first half display was a masterclass of positional play, ball control, movement and finishing. His opener was a sublime finish to a great piece of play. Queens led 2-0 at the break when a brilliant cross by Paton was bundled over the line by Scott Mercer, a former East Fife player.

The Fifers never got a kick in the first half but they improved after the break. They were helped by Queens changing their entire outfield line-up. Aaron Dowds, a player who has defied my low expectations, scored their goal.

It was another pleasant evening in the Methil sunshine admiring both the football and the scenery of Largo Law and the Fife Coast. East Fife had doubled their gate prices from last week’s game with Albion Rovers – I suppose Queens were two Leagues higher and I expect they wanted a half share of the gate, so no complaints. However, £10 is as much as I would willingly pay for a game like this. No concessions for the elderly – East Fife being one of a number of clubs who realise that many of the elderly are now amongst the wealthier in society with a larger disposable income than younger people with families.

Teamsheets, as always, were available from the reception. For the pre-season games they have been free – for competitive games the club make a nominal charge of 20p per copy. For those interested the club shop is outside the stadium.

I enjoyed my first pie of the season although my resolution is to consume fewer in 2019/20. Really excellent coffee as well – quite unusual for a football ground. Sat in the away end as usual - it's better for a quick exit - with around 90 Queens fans in attendance.

9 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

Friendly
East Fife v Queen of the South, 1-2, H.T. 0-2, Att c.300, Admission £10, Teamsheets free, Steak Pie and Coffee £3.20
At New Bayview Stadium

Much of the fun of these games is trying to work out who the unnamed trialists are. Queens’ number 7 looked really familiar and was playing really well. His team mates were calling him Mikey, and we eventually twigged it was Michael Paton, a former Queens player most recently with Dunfermline. The Dumfries side narrowly escaped relegation last season but already they look in better shape going into the new campaign. The experienced management duo of Alan Johnston and Sandy Clark may not be the most scintillating appointments but they have the savvy to keep the club mid-table at worst.

Their talisman remains striker Stephen Dobbie. He scored over 40 goals last season and is absolutely outstanding at this level. His first half display was a masterclass of positional play, ball control, movement and finishing. His opener was a sublime finish to a great piece of play. Queens led 2-0 at the break when a brilliant cross by Paton was bundled over the line by Scott Mercer, a former East Fife player.

The Fifers never got a kick in the first half but they improved after the break. They were helped by Queens changing their entire outfield line-up. Aaron Dowds, a player who has defied my low expectations, scored their goal.

It was another pleasant evening in the Methil sunshine admiring both the football and the scenery of Largo Law and the Fife Coast. East Fife had doubled their gate prices from last week’s game with Albion Rovers – I suppose Queens were two Leagues higher and I expect they wanted a half share of the gate, so no complaints. However, £10 is as much as I would willingly pay for a game like this. No concessions for the elderly – East Fife being one of a number of clubs who realise that many of the elderly are now amongst the wealthier in society with a larger disposable income than younger people with families.

Teamsheets, as always, were available from the reception. For the pre-season games they have been free – for competitive games the club make a nominal charge of 20p per copy. For those interested the club shop is outside the stadium.

I enjoyed my first pie of the season although my resolution is to consume fewer in 2019/20. Really excellent coffee as well – quite unusual for a football ground. Sat in the away end as usual - it's better for a quick exit - with around 90 Queens fans in attendance.

We didn't get half the gate. If home teams at our level had to give away half the gate there would never be an open door friendly. The costs of hosting them will likely exceed the gate receipts before you start thinking about sharing them.

Michael Paton's been at Dumbarton for the last year.

Very happy with that.  We've had a lot of joy in recent times with young goalkeepers on loan from the top division, far more than when we have signed so called experienced goalkeepers.  I'm glad we've gone down this route.

Obviously there are no guarantees with any signing but if he lives up to his billing he should do very well.