The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/southend-united/transferrekorde/verein/2793

No idea how accurate that is but Transfer Markt currently have him as Southend's fourth highest transfer.

The figure usually quoted for Thomson is £250k but they have it as £338k.  Southend signed Gary Poole for £360k the year prior meaning Thomson wasn't a record at the time.  

I dont think its giving away any secrets to confirm the figure received for Andy Thomson was £250,000. Norman Blount has said so publicly many times in speeches, most recently at the New Bazaar Centenary Event.

We actually eventually got another £5k after a certain amount of appearances so the final fig was £255k.

It is our record fee received. As Norman has also confirmed before the next highest is actually Chris Doig after all the various progress payments from his transfer to Nottingham Forest were added up.

9 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

I'm quite sure we will beat that quite easily once we are established in the top division.

That's probably what would be needed, right enough.

Not "inconceivable" then I suppose.  Not exactly looming over the horizon either though.

11 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Hopefully some signing news today. Less than 2 weeks till first competitive game. 

Or looking at it another way,  still 2 weeks until the first competitive game. I'd be starting to get a bit concerned if there's no news by this time next week,  but with a friendly at East Fife tomorrow there may be some signing activity after that. As Johnston says,  he won't be signing players just for the sake of it, better to take his time and run the rule over the trialists he's got in. 

4 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Can’t say I’ve seen much of the boy but hopefully he gets a fair chance a run of games to prove himself. Plenty of options in the striking department

Plenty options?