The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Come on queens said:

The keeper was Kyle gourley ex dundee

Been highly rated for years. Had glowing reports whilst out on loan, but we had another keeper in a similar situation in Calum Ferrie. We've decided to take Ferrie going forward. Surprised as he was being labeled as the next big thing for a wee while. Sure he'll carve out a decent career for himself.

When was the last time we signed a player from the Juniors/Non League sector that went on to be a success at our level?
Perhaps there are no funds available to bring the players through or because we are playing at too high of standard nowadays.  

Ian Mitchell was from Nithsdale Amateurs I think.

Was ' Ches ' not from Kello ?

Only going by memory from boyhood programmes - the little blue ones that cost 5p !

Allan Ball - Stanley United
Mike Barker - Bishop Auckland
Billy Collings - Cambuslang Rangers
John Dempster - Muirkirk Juniors
Ronnie Hamilton - Kilmarnock
Matt Watson - Kilmarnock
Tony Connell - St.Mirren
Tommy Bryce Mk. 1 - Johnstone Burgh
Willie Bradley - Johnstone Burgh
Jim Donald - Renfrew Juniors.

Did Ted McMinn not come from the local Amateur League? Him and Andy Thomson could probably be rated our biggest successes in regards from where we signed them from to the career they subsequently had. Andy Thomson's transfer fee to Southend was a club record at the time I believe and helped pay for the East Stand.

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

Ian Mitchell was from Nithsdale Amateurs I think.

Was ' Ches ' not from Kello ?

Only going by memory from boyhood programmes - the little blue ones that cost 5p !

Allan Ball - Stanley United
Mike Barker - Bishop Auckland
Billy Collings - Cambuslang Rangers
John Dempster - Muirkirk Juniors
Ronnie Hamilton - Kilmarnock
Matt Watson - Kilmarnock
Tony Connell - St.Mirren
Tommy Bryce Mk. 1 - Johnstone Burgh
Willie Bradley - Johnstone Burgh
Jim Donald - Renfrew Juniors.

Did the lad no sure his name he scored in the game Dundee away where Gary Wood scored the screamer to win the game 3-2 no come from the juniors? Paul McMullin maybe?

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Did Ted McMinn not come from the local Amateur League? Him and Andy Thomson could probably be rated our biggest successes in regards from where we signed them from to the career they subsequently had. Andy Thomson's transfer fee to Southend was a club record at the time I believe and helped pay for the East Stand.

Ted played with Dumfries Academy Former pupils in the old amateur league .

Went to Glenafton with fellow FP's player Stuart Cochrane . 

Played in the top flight in England  ,Scotland , and Spain .

16 minutes ago, palmyblue22 said:

Did the lad no sure his name he scored in the game Dundee away where Gary Wood scored the screamer to win the game 3-2 no come from the juniors? Paul McMullin maybe?

Michael Mullen.  Signed from Newmilns Vesuvius 

06mmullen.jpg

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/06profile.htm

Edited to add Paul McMullan was a midfielder we had on loan from Hearts the same season we had Stephen Payne from Aberdeen.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McMullan_(footballer,_born_1984)

Edited by palmy_cammy

5 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Ted played with Dumfries Academy Former pupils in the old amateur league .

Went to Glenafton with fellow FP's player Stuart Cochrane . 

Played in the top flight in England  ,Scotland , and Spain .

Ted McMinn was some player did we not sell him to Rangers for £100,000 ...

A.J. still has a huge amount of work to do to get a decent squad together but no need to worry it is still 2 long weeks away till the Motherwell game .

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Ted McMinn was some player did we not sell him to Rangers for £100,000 ...

A.J. still has a huge amount of work to do to get a decent squad together but no need to worry it is still 2 long weeks away till the Motherwell game .

Only looking to bring in one or two more. Feels he has the quality in the squad.....

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Andy Thomson's transfer fee to Southend was a club record at the time I believe and helped pay for the East Stand.

It surely remains so to this day, and it's hard to see it being challenged anytime soon.

Unless you meant it was a Southend record at the time of course.  Was it?

31 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Only looking to bring in one or two more. Feels he has the quality in the squad.....

I agree there is quality in the squad but the numbers are still down. 

One or Two more will not fill the squad. 

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It surely remains so to this day, and it's hard to see it being challenged anytime soon.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/southend-united/transferrekorde/verein/2793

No idea how accurate that is but Transfer Markt currently have him as Southend's fourth highest transfer.

The figure usually quoted for Thomson is £250k but they have it as £338k.  Southend signed Gary Poole for £360k the year prior meaning Thomson wasn't a record at the time.  They then smashed their record the following season signing Mike Marsh for £540k.  There must have been a lot of money in Southend in the early 90s!

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/southend-united/transferrekorde/verein/2793

No idea how accurate that is but Transfer Markt currently have him as Southend's fourth highest transfer.

The figure usually quoted for Thomson is £250k but they have it as £338k.  Southend signed Gary Poole for £360k the year prior meaning Thomson wasn't a record at the time.  They then smashed their record the following season signing Mike Marsh for £540k.  There must have been a lot of money in Southend in the early 90s!

I always thought it was £250k, so that much larger figure is interesting.

At that time, Southend had just come up to what we now call the Championship, I think.  That was pretty much a historical high for them.  It was just as money and marketing started to go nuts in England, but still pre-Bosman, so players from the likes of then bottom tier us, could still move for decent money if they were good enough.  

ETA: Was Mike Marsh that Liverpool player that came through alongside McManaman and Fowler and briefly looked better than either?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Calling nonsense here. We have 12 players just now, 3 of whom I don't know if they've even made a first team appearance. Running with 3 subs all season and expecting those 3 to step up to the plate?

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Brother Grimm said:

Calling nonsense here. We have 12 players just now, 3 of whom I don't know if they've even made a first team appearance. Running with 3 subs all season and expecting those 3 to step up to the plate?

Agree.....

9 first team players so at least 6 to come in.

Of which 1 being a keeper, 1 defender and 4 midfield ??

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Brother Grimm said:

Certainly not what the interview on the OS says

"hopefully we will be able to get a few more deals tied up soon"

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I meant record transfer money received by Queens.  It was always assumed to be £250k but Southend's figure may differ.  

Regards Ted McMinn and his move to the team in Glasgow,  Willie Harkness used to claim that the fee offered was only about £75,000 but he,  Harkness,  mischievously told the Glasgow club that he'd been offered a bit more by another Club so the fee was bumped up to £100,000. He also claimed that part payment of the fee was offered in Rangers Pools tickets but I don't know if this offer was accepted. 

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I meant record transfer money received by Queens.  It was always assumed to be £250k but Southend's figure may differ.  

Yes, that's what I thought too.  I just wondered why you added "at the time" to the initial post.

It's regrettable that transfer fees at the top end have multiplied massively in the intervening quarter century, yet the same spell has served to make it almost inconceivable that we could ever command a fee like the Thomson one again.