The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are being heavily linked with Jordan Marshall. What's he like? Any good?

He’s not as good as Kevin Holt.

I’ve always regarded him as a bang average lower championship level player - others on here seem to rate him a bit higher tho.

Very consistent and easily good enough for this level. Likes to get forward but his crossing isn't always the best. His positioning defensively often leaves a lot to be desired as well. I think his best attributes are his energy levels and his tackling. He won't back out of a challenge. I'm not convinced he could make the step up (but I'm one of the few who didn't rate him as highly as others in our support) so it'll be interesting to see how he does if Dundee go up. If folk among your support didn't like Holt then I expect he'll be in for a hard time from that lot as well.

Jordan Marshall is a very reliable full back for this level. Ironically he came out of nowhere following Kevin Holt's move to Dundee to become our established left back. He was signed following his slightly surprising release from Carlisle United's Academy on the recommendation of Danny Grainger. If he is leaving for Dundee as Holt returns (via a sojourn in Cyprus), things have come full circle.

He gives his all every time he sets foot on the pitch and he's scared of nothing. Whole hearted in the challenge and, although he manages to look knackered after about 5 mins on the pitch, he's a very fit lad and will still be running in injury time. He's not the tallest and can be beaten to a back post header, and it took a couple of years for him to start to develop any sort of threat moving forward with the ball, though in the last year he's really improved that aspect of his game. There have been times maybe, as 19QOS19 suggests, that his positioning might have been questioned also but he's certainly imporved that too. Gary Naysmith probably helped him more than any other player in schooling him as a left back. At the end of the day he's made over 160 starts for us and he's still only 22. He's been a first team regular since he was 18.

Would be disappointed to lose him. I was hoping we'd get to see him and Holt on the same wing with one overlapping the other. He has certainly earned his move though.

Jordan Marshall is a very reliable full back for this level. Ironically he came out of nowhere following Kevin Holt's move to Dundee to become our established left back. He was signed following his slightly surprising release from Carlisle United's Academy on the recommendation of Danny Grainger. If he is leaving for Dundee as Holt returns (via a sojourn in Cyprus), things have come full circle.
He gives his all every time he sets foot on the pitch and he's scared of nothing. Whole hearted in the challenge and, although he manages to look knackered after about 5 mins on the pitch, he's a very fit lad and will still be running in injury time. He's not the tallest and can be beaten to a back post header, and it took a couple of years for him to start to develop any sort of threat moving forward with the ball, though in the last year he's really improved that aspect of his game. There have been times maybe, as 19QOS19 suggests, that his positioning might have been questioned also but he's certainly imporved that too. Gary Naysmith probably helped him more than any other player in schooling him as a left back. At the end of the day he's made over 160 starts for us and he's still only 22. He's been a first team regular since he was 18.
Would be disappointed to lose him. I was hoping we'd get to see him and Holt on the same wing with one overlapping the other. He has certainly earned his move though.

I have to say that I have found the slight apathy towards Marshall from some quarters to be very surprising indeed. To get a young player who as SD says has played 160 games in no time at all, to turn in 7+ /10 performances game after game even when the team has been struggling is an outstanding effort in my book. It is logical to assume that if he avoids injury he will only get better.

It is often the ultimate question - can a Queens Championship player step up to Premier League level and really establish themselves. The answer in recent times is that very few,if any, have actually done that conclusively so perhaps it is a fair push back in Jordan’s case.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It is often the ultimate question - can a Queens Championship player step up to Premier League level and really establish themselves. The answer in recent times is that very few,if any, have actually done that conclusively so perhaps it is a fair push back in Jordan’s case.

You do know that Dundee will be in the championship next season? 

I have to say that I have found the slight apathy towards Marshall from some quarters to be very surprising indeed. To get a young player who as SD says has played 160 games in no time at all, to turn in 7+ /10 performances game after game even when the team has been struggling is an outstanding effort in my book. It is logical to assume that if he avoids injury he will only get better.

I'm certainly in that category. Marshall is a good LB for this division and has served us well, I just think some supporters over-rated him which make my comments about him appear negative. As I've pointed out already, a LB that is found wanting positionally regularly and isn't the best with a final ball won't have me rating him as anything better than good.

They're two areas that can easily be improved with better coaching and as the boy has a helluva engine on him he does have potential to go higher if he can work on them.

Well I thought we'd lost Jordan Marshall last year so, on the positive side, we had him for another year. I'm sorry to see him go but it was going to happen sometime soon. I'll be more disappointed if Doyle slips through the net and signs for another Championship club...that would be bad news. I'd also like to see Stirling back as on his game he's an asset.

I like Marshall.

As others have said, a very committed and consistent player.

I'm a bit surprised that the upward move (yes I know it's sideways in terms of division) has come this summer, rather than last one, but hey ho.

Good luck to the guy.  The circular nature of the entire Holt thing is a bit weird though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis