The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He wasn't given a fair chance with us the last time around so I'm certainly not gutted. He'll have the legs to do Dobbie's running and is capable of finding the net himself. Not a bad signing IMO.

Yeah I've liked what I saw of him when we played against him at Morton. Cant really recall having much on an opinion on him when he was at Queens. Chance he's developed since then so lets see what hes got to bring to the party.

Jury is out for me with the signing of Gary Oliver. I think the boy is a decent Championship striker and can only learn and improve with training and playing with Sir Stephen.

However my lasting memory of Gary at Palmerston was when he played against Queens with Morton when his Uncle Jim Duffy was manager. He got injured just before half time and was lying crocked on the park. Uncle Jim came onto the park and helped carry Gary off. Gary and Jim were “getting ping” fae the locals and Jim reacted quite badly to the Queens support bawling “ that we should be ashamed of ourselves “ or words to that effect.

With that in mind I think his signing is a bit of a gamble. We don’t really need an injury prone player in what will be without doubt a limited numbered squad.

Hope the lad proves me wrong. Good luck Gary. [emoji256]

Yes, fairly underwhelming, but we'll see.

I remember him as a poor finisher with us first time, but hopefully that's changed.  A busy player for alongside Dobbie, but unlike our last one of those, we need some goals from this one.

Interesting it’s another 2 year deal, we seem to be moving away from signing everyone on one year deals. AJ must rate him. Surprised Oliver is still only 23.

I liked him when he was here before, he was always very industrious and could never be faulted for effort. Just didn’t score that many, but here’s hoping playing with Dobbs helps.

I’m not totally overwhelmed with our current signing policy taken from just about every P&B user each window and just suggest someone who has played with us before. 

The sideways photo announcement gimmick can stay forever however 

Happy with Gary Oliver he always had a good work rate and playing along side dobbie can only improve him as a player 1 down 5-7 players to go and still 2 more ex players to cone in . Like the two year deal thing player may be happier to sign for slightly less money but a longer term good forward thinking by the club especially if the player dies well they may make some money off them

Happy with Gary Oliver he always had a good work rate and playing along side dobbie can only improve him as a player 1 down 5-7 players to go and still 2 more ex players to cone in . Like the two year deal thing player may be happier to sign for slightly less money but a longer term good forward thinking by the club especially if the player dies well they may make some money off them
We'd more likely end out of pocket if the club offers death in service.

We always clamour to see guys return but on this occasion I dont think its a very positive one. He done nothing for us last time and in his last game against us the only impact he made was when he hit the dugout having been hooked early after a hopeless display. Would liked to be proved wrong though and hes still youngish. Im gonna guess the other returnees will be Durnan whos a stick on and Lewis Kidd whos very underrated. 

Pretty sure he averaged a goal every two games he started for us up front in his last spell. The problem was he rarely got a start up front. He's not a 6ft 5" carthorse who we'll launch the ball up to. That in itself is great news. Dykes came on leaps and bounds alongside Dobbie so I'm hoping for a similar outcome for Oliver. My only worry is he picks up and injury again.

Pretty sure he averaged a goal every two games he started for us up front in his last spell. The problem was he rarely got a start up front. He's not a 6ft 5" carthorse who we'll launch the ball up to. That in itself is great news. Dykes came on leaps and bounds alongside Dobbie so I'm hoping for a similar outcome for Oliver. My only worry is he picks up and injury again.

When he actually got a run of games in his preferred position I’m pretty sure he done quite well. Again I agree the main worry is injuries.

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Oliver just the quintessential championship merry go round signing.

Pretty much.

These are the very people we're in the market for.  As several have said, his signing is perhaps a little underwhelming, but we're not realistically going to be unveiling anyone overwhelming either.

The hope has to be that we can get plenty out of players who have hitherto delivered mixed performances at this level.  If we can, then aiming for play-offs might be possible.  If we don't, then we'll be in danger again.

It's the way it is.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

especially if the player dies well they may make some money off them

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

My only worry is he picks up and injury again.

Particularly if it's terminal.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pretty much.

These are the very people we're in the market for.  As several have said, his signing is perhaps a little underwhelming, but we're not realistically going to be unveiling anyone overwhelming either.

The hope has to be that we can get plenty out of players who have hitherto delivered mixed performances at this level.  If we can, then aiming for play-offs might be possible.  If we don't, then we'll be in danger again.

It's the way it is.

Apart from when we signed Holt last week, of course.