The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jacobs isnt South African, he is Dutch technically, despite being born in Johannesburg. Though it doesnt change your point. 

Nationality these days is slightly spurious anyway. Mehmet, McGrath, Aird and Dykes (& Norman) all have joint British nationality notwithstanding whichever country they chose to represent. 

Edit - I imagine 7 will be a record. We didnt have a track record traditionally for exotic signings and until very recently a match day squad was 11 or 13 players. 

Yes, I was surprised to see such a long list, given as you say, that we've traditionally fielded fewer foreigners that lots of other sides.

I suppose there is a qualification in there, in that there are lots of dual nationalities which reflects that nearly all come from English speaking countries.  The exception is Mehmet, but was he not born in London anyway?

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I was surprised to see such a long list, given as you say, that we've traditionally fielded fewer foreigners that lots of other sides.

I suppose there is a qualification in there, in that there are lots of dual nationalities which reflects that nearly all come from English speaking countries.  The exception is Mehmet, but was he not born in London anyway?

Mehmet is English, born in London yes. He has represented Turkey at age levels through the parentage rules but he's born and bred English.

The others on the list are all of British parents but born abroad after the parents emigrated. Apart from Jacobs who is a complicated background but travels on a Dutch passport and considers himself Dutch.

It's actually very difficult, time consuming and costly to get permission to play a non EC passport holder for a British club unless they are a current full international (and current full internationals are not terribly likely to be playing for us). The only one I can recall us having is Kevin Dzierzawski. Everyone else has had a British passport or in the case of Jacobs, Dutch, Beerman, Maltese, and Todorov, Bulgarian. (I'm bound to have forgotten somebody!)

On 02/06/2019 at 16:25, lowland star said:

Alan Martin one of the poorest goalkeepers i have seen at Palmerston park in many a year .

Alan Martin has now left Queens can we get any better than him with the budget we have.

No word on anyone else the information from Queens or lack of it is poor .

The Raith chairman gave a interview he gave information on every player they were trying to keep or release and even said they had 4 new signing who will sign on Tuesday when they can officially register them .

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mehmet is English, born in London yes. He has represented Turkey at age levels through the parentage rules but he's born and bred English.

The others on the list are all of British parents but born abroad after the parents emigrated. Apart from Jacobs who is a complicated background but travels on a Dutch passport and considers himself Dutch.

It's actually very difficult, time consuming and costly to get permission to play a non EC passport holder for a British club unless they are a current full international (and current full internationals are not terribly likely to be playing for us). The only one I can recall us having is Kevin Dzierzawski. Everyone else has had a British passport or in the case of Jacobs, Dutch, Beerman, Maltese, and Todorov, Bulgarian. (I'm bound to have forgotten somebody!)

What was the story with that Ukrainian guy who played a few games, maybe seven or eight years ago?

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Alan Martin has now left Queens can we get any better than him with the budget we have.

The Raith chairman gave a interview he gave information on every player they were trying to keep or release and even said they had 4 new signing who will sign on Tuesday when they can officially register them .

If there's nothing to announce, what exactly do you want them to say?

Where does it say that he has left? I can't find any information on that or the status of last seasons squad apart from the players confirmed on the official site

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Marvin Andrews?

49 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Where does it say that he has left? I can't find any information on that or the status of last seasons squad apart from the players confirmed on the official site

Alan Martin has said on social media that he  had left Queens 

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

If there's nothing to announce, what exactly do you want them to say?

Just a update on how the contract talks are going and if we are close to any new signing .

Alan Martin leaving is that not something to announce

3 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

The Raith chairman gave a interview  .

Interview  ? .Billy will not be doing any of that stuff .

Billy tells you , you listen .

13 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

They've effectively all left if their contracts have expired and we've not heard otherwise, as with Brownlie.

It's possible that some individuals might yet re-sign, but the default assumption for most of these guys is surely that they're away?

What was the story with that Ukrainian guy who played a few games, maybe seven or eight years ago?
Dimitri Provonsky or something like that. He set up Burns for our first win of the season at home to Airdrie the season we had 'The Great Escape'. Seemed to disappear after that but I'm sure he turned up at Killie for a spell.
Just a update on how the contract talks are going and if we are close to any new signing .
Not really. If they're free agents then I assume they are gone unless they choose to sign for us. I only want to hear of players we sign.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Dimitri Provonsky or something like that. He set up Burns for our first win of the season at home to Airdrie the season we had 'The Great Escape'. Seemed to disappear after that but I'm sure he turned up at Killie for a spell.

Wikipedia seems to confirm that this was Dmytro 'Dave the Ukrainian' Pronevych who I didn't realise also played for Queens.

Dick Campbell signed him for us in 2005 and his sole contribution during a substitute appearance at Alloa was to perform a full on rugby tackle.

Astounded to hear that he actually set up a goal as he looked like a raffle winner.

4 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Wikipedia seems to confirm that this was Dmytro 'Dave the Ukrainian' Pronevych who I didn't realise also played for Queens.

Dick Campbell signed him for us in 2005 and his sole contribution during a substitute appearance at Alloa was to perform a full on rugby tackle.

Astounded to hear that he actually set up a goal as he looked like a raffle winner.

That timeline ties in with what 19QOS19 said.  It's alarming that I thought he featured about half as long ago.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Dimitri Pronovych who was a Trialist and played 3 games. Before my time in terms of actual admin involvement. Not sure on what basis he was allowed to play games as a Trialist. Perhaps he had an EC passport or the rules were different back then. As QOS1919 says he set up a last minute winner for Burns after coming on as a sub.

1 hour ago, Kevin 1919 said:

Marvin Andrews?

Andrews was a full international when he arrived in this country to play for Raith Rovers. I presume they got him a Work Permit. After a few years he's have been able to apply for British residency (he's still here). There were no work permit issues when he signed for us.

But yes, he's another nationality to play for us as a Trinidadian.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Paddy Atkinson? ;)