The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Time will tell, but I am more confident going into this season than last. At least we will take teams on.

A bit early to say anything really as we don't no what the squad is going to be .

Have we released any players yet surely all players are now out of contract 

37 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

A bit early to say anything really as we don't no what the squad is going to be .

Have we released any players yet surely all players are now out of contract 

The end of a contract is surely them automatically released and they become free agents.  The question is which,  if any,  will be offered new deals apart from those who have already signed new deals of course. 

Time will tell, but I am more confident going into this season than last. At least we will take teams on.

Obviously there is no harm in a bit of positive thinking and dreaming a little bit. Most fans are guilty of this during pre-season and I was doing exactly this as recently as the end of January.

Perhaps as a result of that I am erring very much on the side of caution, at least until our squad takes shape.

I think some of our fans look at Allan Johnston’s managerial ability through very tinted specs. Smashing part timers every week with arguably the most gifted squad in my lifetime does not mean he is going to turn us into a blend of 1970 Brazil and Barcelona at their tiki taka best.

The jury is very much out as far as AJ’s abilities at this level are concerned.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously there is no harm in a bit of positive thinking and dreaming a little bit. Most fans are guilty of this during pre-season and I was doing exactly this as recently as the end of January.

Perhaps as a result of that I am erring very much on the side of caution, at least until our squad takes shape.

I think some of our fans look at Allan Johnston’s managerial ability through very tinted specs. Smashing part timers every week with arguably the most gifted squad in my lifetime does not mean he is going to turn us into a blend of 1970 Brazil and Barcelona at their tiki taka best.

Yes, good post.

The jury is very much out.

I'd have felt more anxious under Naysmith though.

We need to see how things shape up. 

Brownlie didn't thrill me, but Holt kinda does.  I feel that our new manager will instinctively be more inclined to exploit the ludicrously fortuitous advantage that Dobbie confers.  Maybe that's just reliant on my own instincts though,after the last time when he benefited from a huge tailwind.

Johnston's subsequent managerial record is pretty mixed.  I'm kind of hoping he's just one of those guys who seems to fit somewhere, like Lambie did at Thistle for instance.  It's not exactly a scientifically based desire though.

15 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Thing is, we did, until around East Fife/October( ish) then after that shitfest Naysmith decided that defence /don't lose boys was the better option. 

Jack Leighfield signs 2 year deal, hopefully Johnston can get a good no1 in that Jack can learn off, rumour Mill on other sites mentions D Gaston ex Morton he also is Killie goalkeeper Academy coach, so possibility there. 

Jack Leighfield signs 2 year deal, hopefully Johnston can get a good no1 in that Jack can learn off, rumour Mill on other sites mentions D Gaston ex Morton he also is Killie goalkeeper Academy coach, so possibility there. 

Isn’t Gaston a skilled line dancer. We don’t want another one!

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

If Gaston was not good enough for Morton on the bench most of the season why should he get a offer from Queens .

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The runour could be wrong but our GK situation is still going to be Martin and Leighfield. And probably a youth player as 3rd choice. Time will tell, though. 

If Gaston was not good enough for Morton on the bench most of the season why should he get a offer from Queens .

Because they managed to get a highly rated youngster from rangers. He’s always performed well against us, I’d take Gaston quite happily.

21 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Aye, during the season you had fans on this thread saying they wouldn't swap Naysmith for AJ! 

He might just fit at QoTS, he wasn't a massive failure at Dunfermline, he just wasn't great and never really had us playing to the potential that our budget said we should have. 

Having Dobbie will be absolutely massive, AJ will have absolutely no qualms about building a team around him and getting every goal possible from him, its what he done with Faiss and Clarke, he really struggled without a good striker last year. 

On 01/06/2019 at 14:15, Brother Grimm said:

Only Alan Martin offered terms.

One of the things that was making me optimistic about next season, was never watching Martin in goal again. Does anyone really think there was a worse goalkeeper in our division let alone the div below.

Callum Antell, canny think o emdy else.  Worked in Dumbarton for a while and watched a lot of Sons games. Was really hoping that Aldo and Andy would be a success. Martin has been a huge disappointment and Stirling blows hot and (mostly cold). Shame.