The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Scott Hooper away to Peterhead.  Us, Stranraer, Raith and Clyde were all interested in him as well but he chose to travel nearly 5 hours up the road. Good luck to him. Would have had him back at Palmerston. 

He'd have been an underwhelming signing in all honesty. Interesting to note that the other clubs are all a division or two below us.

22 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He'd have been an underwhelming signing in all honesty. Interesting to note that the other clubs are all a division or two below us.

Yeah, I agree with that. 

I am led to believe that we spoke to him about coming back. Peterhead have (in their own words) "pushed the boat out" to sign him and are delighted about it. Apparently there was a wage already offered to Hooper, whether it was from us or not I don't know, but Peterhead more than matched it. Which does make me think it was from us or another championship side. 

That's what was going around Palmerston on Sunday. 

BetFred Cup Group E:

Motherwell
Greenock Morton
Queen of the South
Annan Athletic
Dumbarton

Considering we are unseeded, there’s a 66% chance we’ll be playing Motherwell at home. I’d be wanting Well and Dumbarton at home, Morton and Annan away

18 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Group E looks like the group of death to me. Compared to the kind draws we have had in past years this is a very tough one. If we were to qualify from this one I will be very impressed.

We were seeded in past draws and weren't this time so it was inevitably going to be harder as we were bound to have a Premiership side and another Championship one which we've avoided previously.

I don't see it as any worse than the other groups to be honest. We were always getting a Premiership side and there's an argument Motherwell is the toughest of them based on this year's finishing position.  Given a straight choice between Morton, Ayr, Dunfermline and Partick Thistle, I'm not sure it makes that much odds which one we got. And they were joined by two lower division sides and we narrowly avoided drawing Falkirk.

Group E looks like the group of death to me. Compared to the kind draws we have had in past years this is a very tough one. If we were to qualify from this one I will be very impressed.

The group should give us a good indicator of where we’ll be next season.

An average Premiership team, an average Championship team, and average League 1 team and an average League 2 teams.

If we qualify we’ll have done pretty well

On 27/05/2019 at 13:25, 19QOS19 said:
On 27/05/2019 at 13:03, palmy_cammy said:
One of the best players we’ve had in recent times, who should if anything be better now.

Hard to think of any negatives at all. Excellent news!

I'm sure Northfield will find something.

Great signing never thought we could get Holt  back hopefully a few more signing as good as Holt to come .

Good news on Murray.
A really important season up ahead for him I'd imagine.  

Agreed really needs to kick on, showed great promise at end of season when he got his chance. But needs to do it on a more regular basis. Hopefully he’ll play a more central role rather than out wide

Another solid bit of business.  Worst case scenario he is a useful squad player as per this season who can come off the bench and play a few different positions.  Best case, he kicks on from his performances in the playoffs and establishes himself as a starter.

Either way you'd assume he will feature more under Johnston than he did under Naysmith.