The Queen of the South thread

Who's the big baldy boy who played in midfield for you this season? And has he ever played at centre-half?

Assuming you meant Iain Wilson, on loan from Killie and only 20/21. Played a few games at centre-half for us but far, far better in midfield. Think most, if not all, Queens fans would take him back in a heart beat

6 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Assuming you meant Iain Wilson, on loan from Killie and only 20/21. Played a few games at centre-half for us but far, far better in midfield. Think most, if not all, Queens fans would take him back in a heart beat

Ta. Didn't realise he was on loan. One of those players who looks very awkward at first, but there's definite ability there. Also a very 'Hopkin' type of player, I would've thought...

If you stick with him through him being out for most of the season it wouldn’t make much sense to bin him now he’s fit. As long as he’s not playing at right back, I can live with it.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I would have kept Kyle Jacobs in a heartbeat. I think some people will realise what we're mssing a lot more when he isn't there. Yes, his passing wasn't great but he did everything else you'd like in a midfielder and his aerial ability for his height was terrific.

Very disappointed to hear he's gone.

So are we  not bringing in anyone to replace him then?  You cant judge if he will be missed or not until you see how the midfield performs next season. As for his heading ability, which a couple of posters seem to rate highly, he gave me the impression that he thought he was about six inches taller than he was 'cos to me he struggled to try and win headers that were nearly out of his reach. I gave him a few MoM votes last season but he was as frustrating as anything this season to watch. I also felt he had a tendency to drift out of games and let play pass him by. I wouldn't have been upset if he stayed as a squad player but I wouldn't have fancied  him to be automatic pick.    

3 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

I can't recollect Wilson playing many games at CH, indeed the only one that springs to mind is at home to Dundee Utd when he and Maguire seemed to play well together until Maguire conceded a penalty and got sent off. I would have liked to have seen them paired together more often but Wilson was needed more in midfield probably especially with Low getting injured.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I would have kept Kyle Jacobs in a heartbeat. I think some people will realise what we're mssing a lot more when he isn't there. Yes, his passing wasn't great but he did everything else you'd like in a midfielder and his aerial ability for his height was terrific.

Very disappointed to hear he's gone.

Totally agree was one of the few players I would have kept out of last seasons squad a good honest hard working professional.Does all the dirty  work that some times goes unoticed  will be a loss but it was always going to happen. 

3 hours ago, Pengie1919 said:

Totally agree was one of the few players I would have kept out of last seasons squad a good honest hard working professional.Does all the dirty  work that some times goes unoticed  will be a loss but it was always going to happen. 

Absolutely agree wrt his attitude. Cant fault it. Bit error prone but as said above  - worth seeing who we get in to replace him. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/898784/josh-todd-transfer-to-dundee-in-doubt/
Apparently Josh Todd's PCA with Dundee had a clause that said it could be cancelled if Dundee were relegated. Would love to see us somehow hold on to him.
I did wonder if he would reconsider after they got relegated. Not reconsider signing for us right enough but seeing if any other premiership sides were interested.

Would love to see him stay but really can't see it.

Why do clubs that are clearly going down like the Titanic offer PCAs with these 'release' clauses in them (see also Tidser, Michael; Falkirk)? What a total waste of everybody's time and effort. 

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why do clubs that are clearly going down like the Titanic offer PCAs with these 'release' clauses in them (see also Tidser, Michael; Falkirk)? What a total waste of everybody's time and effort. 

I agree its a waste of time and money. The only logic I can see in it is if the relegation clause also said Todd would get X amount less than what was offered if they had stayed up. So ultimately its down to wether Todd still wants to sign or not. 

I genuinely think Todd is a very good Championship player and perhaps a player that might interest Hamilton, Ross County or a promoted DUFC if that happens.

Most Championship teams are likely to also see him as a good signing so unlikely that we will keep him unless we can “push the boat out”.

Would fit in well with AJ’s more positive outlook although I do think that he was pretty anonymous for the last 10 matches or so. I would like to see him in central midfield with a mandate to try and improve our ball retention and creativity.