The Queen of the South thread

He's been a good servant but I'm not overly disappointed to see him leave.  When he keeps it simple and sticks to his strengths he is a real asset.  As stated he will run all day, and is excellent at winning the ball back often when the odds are against him doing so.  He also wins a ridiculous amount of headers for someone his height.  I can't think of many players with as good a leap in my time watching Queens.

Latterly though he has frustrated the life out of me.  It is rather self-defeating having a player who is good at winning the ball but also losing it in equal measure.  His passing and overall awareness of his teammates is shocking and he is forever getting caught in possession, often in dangerous areas, as he dilly dallies trying to work out what his next move is going to be.

He will be a solid enough signing for Morton and I wish him well as he seems like a good honest pro, blah blah.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good to see the knicker-wetting starting early.

1) The majority of players will be on holiday now.

2) Johnston has already pointed out that players can hold off to see if they get better offers. I hate to say it, but Queens aren't exactly going to be the most lucrative choice for players.

If we have no other players signed by the middle of July I'll start to shit the bed. 5 days after our season finished, not so much.

Indeed but it’s not stopped Morton signing Kyle Jacobs. They’ve moved  fast 

Kyle Jacobs signs for us, thoughts?
palmy_cammy has pretty much covered it. He's been a good servant and I wish him well. He will break up play and won't back out of any challenge but his distribution is utterly woeful. I'm not surprised to see him go (or disappointed tbh) as he clearly wasn't going to fit AJ's style. Even in the few games he's played under AJ he managed to slow down our attack any time he got the ball. I'm not suggesting we'll be playing silky football next season, but someone who takes as long as him on the ball (before then struggling to find a team-mate!) isn't what we need.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He will break up play and won't back out of any challenge but his distribution is utterly woeful. I'm not surprised to see him go (or disappointed tbh) as he clearly wasn't going to fit AJ's style. Even in the few games he's played under AJ he managed to slow down our attack any time he got the ball. I'm not suggesting we'll be playing silky football next season, but someone who takes as long as him on the ball (before then struggling to find a team-mate!) isn't what we need.

We're going to be gegenpressing the shit out of this division next season so that won't really be a problem. 

We're going to be gegenpressing the shit out of this division next season so that won't really be a problem. 
To be fair to him, that's exactly what he'll do. It would be better if he could just pass the ball to a team-mate but even when he did lose it he wouldn't just 'throw his hands in the air' and expect to be bailed out.

It’s probably a case of us just being absolutely done with this squad so his departure isn’t seen currently huge travesty. He suffered being played in a midfield 2 as usually we’d have a fairly passive player in alongside him as well so very little came from the middle of the park. The list of midfield partners since he’s joined would be very grim reading.

But yeah does the things fans like, runs around a lot and gets stuck in, though now he’s playing against Morton he’ll need to find a new team to only score against . In the right circumstances he could be a key player at the same time he could just be yet another limited lower mid tier championship centre mid.

I’m fine with him going as we have had a good run with him but i have seen enough of him attempting to pass 5 yards for one lifetime. Though compared to the various sand dancers, I’d take limited but hard working over the various overweight messes coasting off reputation.

4 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

It's a shame to see Jacobs go, he was one of the players I wanted to stay. Jacobs also wanted to stay but obviously he isn't in AJ'S plans. 

Morton have got themselves a very decent player. 

Or... its all about Morton and we sold him the dream!!!

I would have kept Kyle Jacobs in a heartbeat. I think some people will realise what we're mssing a lot more when he isn't there. Yes, his passing wasn't great but he did everything else you'd like in a midfielder and his aerial ability for his height was terrific.

Very disappointed to hear he's gone.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

I think even most Queens fans would agree that Jacobs was their best player last season so I'm delighted with this signing.

By an absolute distance, I'm absolutely gutted he is gone. Hopefully the board can negotiate with Morton to do a swap deal for Dobbie. 

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meanwhile, to at least start to appease some of the knicker wetting.

Darren Brownlie Re-Signs

Played really well in the playoffs still gives away silly fouls but  deserves a new deal .

Did we offer anything to Jacobs surprised he  gone to Morton 

Jacobs can tackle and win the ball but then he can't pass it gets caught with the ball a lot .

If he does manage a pass it is always back.

Happy enough with Brownlie re-signing. Much like Jacobs he trips himself up when he tries to overplay but he’s solid enough at this level.

Strangely he appears to have gone down in our fan’s expectations last season despite watching most of it from the sidelines as our other “superior” defenders shipped goals left, right and centre.

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Played really well in the playoffs still gives away silly fouls but  deserves a new deal .

Did we offer anything to Jacobs surprised he  gone to Morton 

Jacobs can tackle and win the ball but then he can't pass it gets caught with the ball a lot .

If he does manage a pass it is always back.

I wouldn’t judge any players on how well they played against L1 opponents. I’d judge them on how well they played in getting us to finish 9th. Brownlie only played a few games towards the end, so can’t be blamed entirely. But he did play quite a big part in conceding match losing goals to Morton and Alloa. Those 2 points would have seen us finish outside the play-offs.

I suppose all AJ has to go on is what he saw in his 4 games in charge. But re-signing any of that defence, other than Marshall, is pretty underwhelming.