The Queen of the South thread

One of the things I love about football is that come Saturday evening QOS fans, who have been quite quiet, will be slagging Falkirk
Another thread where you're gagging for a bite.

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Gary Naysmith was a guest on Sportsound last night and his thoughts on his sacking can be found around the 47 minute mark here.

Obviously the manner in which he was given the news is another black mark against the board, 

Board being the chairman .

Money cannot buy class .

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Gary Naysmith was a guest on Sportsound last night and his thoughts on his sacking can be found around the 47 minute mark here.

It's a pretty tough listen to be honest, he almost sounds like he's welling up at times.  I'm still really sorry it didn't work out for him, someone who clearly cares about the club, and worked as hard as he did deserves better results.  Unfortunately there's more to management than hard work and passion or most supporters would be candidates for the job. 

Some were able forgive him for the run of defeats that saw us tumble down the table due to the mitigating circumstances, and the positive results up to that point.  I was certainly in that category as presumably were the club.  However, the capitulations against Ross County and Partick were the last straw and put him in an unrecoverable position.  He claims he was surprised not to be in charge for the playoffs, but the way we rolled over to Thistle in front of a large expectant crowd was simply unacceptable and I don't think he can have any complaints.

Obviously the manner in which he was given the news is another black mark against the board, but better to do the right thing the wrong way than the opposite way round.  Whether appointing AJ was a masterstroke or simply the "new manager bounce" only time will tell but it certainly looks to have been the right decision for the short term anyway.

Yes, he came across well.  The class he showed did appear to strike something of a contrast with the Chairman's behaviour on the night of the Thistle game.

I still think the sacking was absolutely justified though.  The performance we'd provided in that match, following an already appalling run, was so dreadful in the circumstances that to allow him to take us into the play-off games would have been irresponsible.

It could and should have been done rather better though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, he came across well.  The class he showed did appear to strike something of a contrast with the Chairman's behaviour on the night of the Thistle game.

I still think the sacking was absolutely justified though.  The performance we'd provided in that match, following an already appalling run, was so dreadfull in the circumstances that to allow him to take us into the play-off games would have been irresponsible.

Yep, he definitely needed sacked, maybe should have been sooner but it is what it is. 

I believe that if GN was still Manager then we wouldn't have scored 9 goals in 3 matches and we could even have been relegated by now. Correct decision from the board, but if rumours are true then the way it was handled was very harsh. 

The 3 games so far have been against lower league teams but the way we played under GN then that looked about our standard so fair play to AJ for changing things quite quickly. 

We were pretty poor at times last night but you could see we weren't playing for a draw and there was a wee bit more confidence in the team, especially with Martin who i thought came of his line more last night than he had done all season.

The tie isn't over by any means but I feel more confident going into this game than I have done the majority of the season.

19 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

If you’re marking that down as a good game by Martin then it just shows how horrifically bad he has been for us.

He literally threw the ball straight to an attacker tonight.

I'll take just the one mistake. Its definitely an improvement. And Dykes goal (no way was the 3rd his) was just so not Lyndon you have to applaud it and hope he remembers how he did it.

38 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Correct decision from the board, but if rumours are true then the way it was handled was very harsh. 

I think Naysmith's own measured sounding account, moves it all beyond the realms of rumour.

Can only echo what's been said. GN came across very well (as he always did tbh). Wee bit gutted it never worked out for him because he seems to be a really nice guy. He could have been bitter about the way he was sacked, and be entitled to do so, but he definitely comes across as the bigger man by not doing so. GN was very professional throughout his reign, shame the chairman isn't as classy.

I expect GN will get another gig and will keep an eye on how he does. His time was up at us and his sacking was completely the right decision but I hope he does well after this.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I still think the sacking was absolutely justified though.  The performance we'd provided in that match, following an already appalling run, was so dreadful in the circumstances that to allow him to take us into the play-off games would have been irresponsible.

Nail on head. 

I wish Gary the very best in the future and I thank him for what he's done at Queens.  He strikes me as an honest and honourable man who did his best for the club.  He was presented with a very hard task here, with a difficult chairman and a small and shrinking budget;  he maybe bit off more than he could chew as a young and not hugely experienced manager.  He probably needs to learn that a more positive and expansive attitude to matches will pay off, which might be difficult for a man of his character - he seems a little down-beat a lot of the time in his communications.  Also, perhaps his tactics as presented to the players create a somewhat negative mind-set on the pitch, and he needs to acknowledge this as something that stems from himself rather than quite frequently blaming the players for making mistakes or generally not performing.  I have, though, really appreciated his informative and thoughtful post-match interviews.

The way he was treated over his dismissal was crass and tells us a lot about Mr Hewitson.

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can only echo what's been said. GN came across very well (as he always did tbh). Wee bit gutted it never worked out for him because he seems to be a really nice guy. He could have been bitter about the way he was sacked, and be entitled to do so, but he definitely comes across as the bigger man by not doing so. GN was very professional throughout his reign, shame the chairman isn't as classy.

He has no class , never has ,never will. 

I also liked GN and the way he handled himself. He came across as a honest, hardworking manager. Probably a carbon copy of himself as a player. Mr Hewitson is a shrewd businessman and Gary gave him a decision to make with the teams performances and results. Looks like Billy got the decision right but got the way it was handled so badly wrong! Gary deserved better than that.

I remember we pumped the eventual winners Ross County 4-0 at home and thinking we’ve got a great chance of making the play off’s here. Nicky Lowe was looking the “real deal” in midfield and Sir Stephen was scoring for fun! Both get injured and the wheels fell off!

Anyway Mr Hewitson’s decision is vindicated and AJ has probably saved the season and brought in a style of play that is good to watch and might add a few hundred to next seasons crowds. Hopefully Queens will still be in the Championship [emoji848] I do wonder how many of the starting 11 on Wednesday night will still be there? Martin will leave, Marshall has probably been tapped up by Ross County, Wilson will return to Killie and Dykes & Todd have signed pre-contracts with other clubs. I’m sure AJ will have already sounded out a few replacements. Could be a very interesting Summer ahead......

2 hours ago, Sankasouthy said:

I also liked GN and the way he handled himself. He came across as a honest, hardworking manager. Probably a carbon copy of himself as a player. Mr Hewitson is a shrewd businessman and Gary gave him a decision to make with the teams performances and results. Looks like Billy got the decision right but got the way it was handled so badly wrong! Gary deserved better than that.

I remember we pumped the eventual winners Ross County 4-0 at home and thinking we’ve got a great chance of making the play off’s here. Nicky Lowe was looking the “real deal” in midfield and Sir Stephen was scoring for fun! Both get injured and the wheels fell off!

Anyway Mr Hewitson’s decision is vindicated and AJ has probably saved the season and brought in a style of play that is good to watch and might add a few hundred to next seasons crowds. Hopefully Queens will still be in the Championship emoji848.png I do wonder how many of the starting 11 on Wednesday night will still be there? Martin will leave, Marshall has probably been tapped up by Ross County, Wilson will return to Killie and Dykes & Todd have signed pre-contracts with other clubs. I’m sure AJ will have already sounded out a few replacements. Could be a very interesting Summer ahead......

You're wrong about Dykes, plus signing a  pre-contract doesn't 100% guarantee that the player will be joining another club. 

3 minutes ago, Sankasouthy said:

In other words you are saying Dykes won’t be at Livingstone and Todd won’t be going to Dundee next season? They are probably doubling their wage, it’s a no brainier!!

Dykes is already a Livingston player. He's been on loan to us since January.

Nicked from the Unofficial Queens site on Facebook, hadn't realised the game tomorrow will be Queens 52nd match of the season, the most they've ever played in their 100 year history. If Dykes plays he'll be the only ever present all season.

Nicked from the Unofficial Queens site on Facebook, hadn't realised the game tomorrow will be Queens 52nd match of the season, the most they've ever played in their 100 year history. If Dykes plays he'll be the only ever present all season.

Jacobs has played every league match, and started every one. Assuming he’s been rested for cups?

Stirling has been in every match day squad I think, same would go for Mercer I think?

I think both of you got my meaning! They won’t be at Queens next season! Stop being so pedantic when someone is trying to make a constructive comment!!
You could have just said 'Todd and Dykes won't he here next season'. It would have been less agro for you.

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Jacobs has played every league match, and started every one. Assuming he’s been rested for cups?

Stirling has been in every match day squad I think, same would go for Mercer I think?

Lyndon Dykes has started every match. I think he's actually finished every match other than the last two where he's gone off to rest him.

Andy Stirling has been involved in every match day squad and played at least some part in 50 of the 51 matches to date.  He was an unused sub in the home game v Dunfermline in December. Scott Mercer has also been involved in every match day squad this season but he's been an unused sub 4 times.

Michael Doyle and Jordan Marshall have both started 50 games of the 51 to date. Doyle missed the February game at Falkirk with a hamstring problem. Marshall missed the March home match with Inverness for the same reason.

Kyle Jacobs missed the League Cup win over Clyde with an injury and was a used sub on the Saturday following against Edinburgh City. He has otherwise started every game though.

For all he's missed the guts of two months injured, Stephen Dobbie has started 43 games, been a used sub once and an unused one once also (at Montrose last week). He's only missed 6 games altogether, 3 in December and 3 in April.

Anyway Mr Hewitson’s decision is vindicated and AJ has probably saved the season and brought in a style of play that is good to watch and might add a few hundred to next seasons crowds. Hopefully Queens will still be in the Championship [emoji848] I do wonder how many of the starting 11 on Wednesday night will still be there? Martin will leave, Marshall has probably been tapped up by Ross County, Wilson will return to Killie and Dykes & Todd have signed pre-contracts with other clubs. I’m sure AJ will have already sounded out a few replacements. Could be a very interesting Summer ahead......

Durnan and Holt will be back plus another 5 want to come in