The Queen of the South thread

On 13/05/2019 at 00:09, Distant Doonhamer said:

5-1 down at HT sounds right in the defeat.

I don't think we've ever beaten Airdrie 7-1

I may well be the only person on this forum who was present when Queens lost 2-10 to Dundee at Dens in 1962. Gilzean scored 7, George Farm was carried off after 10 minutes - and no subs in those days !

Just now, Hannigan said:

I may well be the only person on this forum who was present when Queens lost 2-10 to Dundee at Dens in 1962. Gilzean scored 7, George Farm was carried off after 10 minutes - and no subs in those days !

Yep that's a few years before I started watching. :lol: :thumsup2

How has Nicky Low ended up at the Shire?

His groin is made of doritos.

It’s a real shame for him as when fit he was tremendous. Although sadly we didn’t see it often enough.

I also can’t help but feel we contributed to his problems by playing him when we clearly shouldn’t have.

Hope he gets over his injuries and back to a decent level, or at least gets playing regularly even if it is at Lowland League level.

39 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

His groin is made of doritos.

It’s a real shame for him as when fit he was tremendous. Although sadly we didn’t see it often enough.

I also can’t help but feel we contributed to his problems by playing him when we clearly shouldn’t have.

Hope he gets over his injuries and back to a decent level, or at least gets playing regularly even if it is at Lowland League level.

It is a shame for him because without injury, he wouldn't have dropped to our level, never mind his latest one.

Given the tightness of our squad though, it does make our signing of him in January bloody stupid.  It doesn't require hindsight to say that getting lots of games out of him was unlikely.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

As at 14th May 2019:

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Stephen Dobbie, 151 goals in 213 starts (18 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
3 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
4 - Derek Lyle, 117 goals in 269 starts (96 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - 2018
5 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
6 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
7 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
8 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
9 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
10 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

44 minutes ago, Swarley said:

@Skyline Drifter have you posted an updated All Time Greatest Scorers chart recently? Apologies if you have and I missed it. Is Ser Dobbie on a million goals yet?

Hadn't done it in months. Didn't have access to my stats for some of that time and just basically wasn't focused on it anyway due to other 'issues' taking priority. But updated above.

Hadn't done it in months. Didn't have access to my stats for some of that time and just basically wasn't focused on it anyway due to other 'issues' taking priority. But updated above.
Appreciated. So another couple in the 2nd leg and 100 next season and he'll be all time top scorer then. Definitely achievable.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

Turned Martin into a keeper and Dykes into a striker. Magic right enough!

Dykes played well tonight scored a great goal but really  missed a easy chance to kill the tie in the end up we were lucky to get a 3-1 win great save from Martin at the end ..

Would have taken a 3-1 win before the game 

Appreciated. So another couple in the 2nd leg and 100 next season and he'll be all time top scorer then. Definitely achievable.
It'll be easier for him to break the record if you're playing in league 1 next season.

Maybe something for your players to think about before Saturday....

Turned Martin into a keeper and Dykes into a striker. Magic right enough!

If you’re marking that down as a good game by Martin then it just shows how horrifically bad he has been for us.

He literally threw the ball straight to an attacker tonight.

If you’re marking that down as a good game by Martin then it just shows how horrifically bad he has been for us.

And pulled of a great save straight after to cover Doyle’s arse. Great save at the end with header too

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

One of the things I love about football is that come Saturday evening QOS fans, who have been quite quiet, will be slagging Falkirk

Tbh I'd still slag yous off even if we were in the Lowland league. 

Gary Naysmith was a guest on Sportsound last night and his thoughts on his sacking can be found around the 47 minute mark here.

It's a pretty tough listen to be honest, he almost sounds like he's welling up at times.  I'm still really sorry it didn't work out for him, someone who clearly cares about the club, and worked as hard as he did deserves better results.  Unfortunately there's more to management than hard work and passion or most supporters would be candidates for the job. 

Some were able forgive him for the run of defeats that saw us tumble down the table due to the mitigating circumstances, and the positive results up to that point.  I was certainly in that category as presumably were the club.  However, the capitulations against Ross County and Partick were the last straw and put him in an unrecoverable position.  He claims he was surprised not to be in charge for the playoffs, but the way we rolled over to Thistle in front of a large expectant crowd was simply unacceptable and I don't think he can have any complaints.

Obviously the manner in which he was given the news is another black mark against the board, but better to do the right thing the wrong way than the opposite way round.  Whether appointing AJ was a masterstroke or simply the "new manager bounce" only time will tell but it certainly looks to have been the right decision for the short term anyway.

13 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Martin has been good the past 3 games .

When he threw the ball to the raith player it was an honest mistake, He went to throw the ball to Marshall realised that he had someone close to him tried to stop the throw but it slipped out his hands. 

Kept us in the game last night. 

He has been poor this season but is our best goalie, anyone who thinks young Jack is better obviously doesnt watch much football