The Queen of the South thread

35 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Does anyone have any info when Queens beat Airdrie 7-1 at Palmerston and what was the halftime score?

I can't recall a 7-1 win v Airdrie.

I can remember us losing 7-1 to Airdrie in 1975

It was round about the time we took a Rangers team who would go on to win the treble to extra time in a 2 leg League Cup tie. 

Both elements of this story typical of QOS.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

Does anyone have any info when Queens beat Airdrie 7-1 at Palmerston and what was the halftime score?

49 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I can remember us losing 7-1 to Airdrie in 1975

I can confirm the half-time score in that game (at Palmerston) was 1-5. Remember it well.

9 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I can confirm the half-time score in that game (at Palmerston) was 1-5. Remember it well.

9 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

5-1 down at HT sounds right in the defeat.

I don't think we've ever beaten Airdrie 7-1

The point I was trying to make is that we won't get anywhere near a 5 nil half time lead against Raith .They are a full time team who are a far better side then Montrose they have players who could easily play at a higher level and in Nisbet they have a forward in top form scoring over 30 goals .

I really wouldn't say Raith are a far better side than Montrose tbh. I'd be expecting you to beat them fairly comfortably over the 2 legs.

26 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

5-1 down at HT sounds right in the defeat.

I don't think we've ever beaten Airdrie 7-1

Remember us being 5-0 up at HT in a 7-0 win against Forfar at Palmerston in the 70s. 

11 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Remember us being 5-0 up at HT in a 7-0 win against Forfar at Palmerston in the 70s. 

Indeed. I think we won 5-0 away to St Mirren at Love Street the week before. Ian Reid and Jocky Dempster scoring most of the goals in both matches.

Edit to add these games were indeed in successive weeks in 1974. Reid got 7 of the goals and Dempster 4. George "Chopper" Dickson got the other one.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Are you possibly getting Airdie mixed up with Clyde? Did we not beat them 7-1 10 or so years ago?

Dobbie scored 4 and Kean, Tosh and Harris scored the other goals.