The Queen of the South thread

AJ wow he's done this he's done that are we forgetting we were the only full time team in div1 last time this time theres falkirk .

Resign this player that player are we forgetting they all left for bigger and better 

Lets just stay on the roundabout of same players and managers as the rest of Scotland

What's crazier being happier about this OR SOME CLOWNS ON HERE BEING HAPPY IF ROBINSON CAME BACK a prince that turned into a clown

2 minutes ago, cooshedder said:

AJ wow he's done this he's done that are we forgetting we were the only full time team in div1 last time this time theres falkirk .

Resign this player that player are we forgetting they all left for bigger and better 

Lets just stay on the roundabout of same players and managers as the rest of Scotland

What's crazier being happier about this OR SOME CLOWNS ON HERE BEING HAPPY IF ROBINSON CAME BACK a prince that turned into a clown

Hya Foley pal

22 hours ago, cooshedder said:

I've never seen us play better as a team than we did under AJ. 

John Connolly's reign  a close second but he just brought us into a 21st century way of thinking like training , staying away from pies and not betting against your own team. 

Yes we might have been full time under AJ vs part time teams but we couldn't even beat Montrose on Tuesday with on paper a far better quality of player than then so what does that say? 

How many Championship and SPL teams did we also beat?  It felt like we were pretty much unbeatable at the time. 

I've never seen us play better as a team than we did under AJ. 
John Connolly's reign  a close second but he just brought us into a 21st century way of thinking like training , staying away from pies and not betting against your own team. 
Yes we might have been full time under AJ vs part time teams but we couldn't even beat Montrose on Tuesday with on paper a far better quality of player than then so what does that say? 
How many Championship and SPL teams did we also beat?  It felt like we were pretty much unbeatable at the time. 

Couldn’t agree more.

People keep saying that under AJ we only did what was expected of us in Div 1. Not only did we produce great results, we played very attractive football, and also delivered very positive performances against higher quality teams into the bargain. Dunfermline struggled to get out of Div 1 under JJ and Raith (with biggest budget) only finished third this season. It is not the “penalty kick” that people suggest.

As you say we are a FT outfit with several players who aspire to go on to play on a bigger stage - on Tuesday there was no appreciable difference between us and Montrose. Players like Wilson, Todd and Dykes are seriously under performing. Good players invariably rise to the occasion and the fact that our key players continually fail to deliver is very telling. If we go down - several of these players will return to parent club or go to pastures new but if they cannot deliver against a PT side in these circumstances it begs the question how they will perform against much higher calibre opposition?I think I am answering my own question.

Saturday is last chance saloon for us and players will, for once, have to stand up and be counted.

On 08/05/2019 at 13:02, Sloop John B said:

Low is a flop in the sense of the fact we signed a very Injury prone player to a small squad and we managed him poorly.

Fraser Aird is something i’d have done but it seemed at the time like it was a case of ‘oh he’s available, let’s sign him’ without much consideration of how he’d fit in or whether he was really needed.

I’d say it was what we didn’t do that has hurt us more than the people we brought in, The lack of a third forward was the downfall. We’ve played the third most games in the league with the smallest squad, even if players don’t want to be third or fourth choice they had an opportunity to be a starter especially once dykes goes. Martin has been the worst regular keeper in the league so it’s on us for not getting someone in when it’s apparent he isn’t great instead of the current mess.

Aird didn’t have a good word to say about Gary Naysmith after the game on Saturday when the players were in the New Bazaar. Maybe explains why he’s not played very much. 

58 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Aird didn’t have a good word to say about Gary Naysmith after the game on Saturday when the players were in the New Bazaar. Maybe explains why he’s not played very much. 

I sometimes get the impression that players sometimes say what they think the fans want to hear.  If Aird did have a problem with Naysmith,  or vice-versa,  then he shouldn't really be spreading it about,  it could make him look the sleekit wee tube that fans of his previous clubs warned us about. 

Can anyone explain to me (because I am not the best football analyst or tactician) how we can play such a good game against Dunfermline then lose 4-0, 3-0 and lose the game to Montrose? Is it purely down to lack of confidence and corners or is there something else going on?

Can anyone explain to me (because I am not the best football analyst or tactician) how we can play such a good game against Dunfermline then lose 4-0, 3-0 and lose the game to Montrose? Is it purely down to lack of confidence and corners or is there something else going on?

Of the 9 goals conceded in those games 7 were crosses and 1 was a penalty. Leaving only one from open play and even then we weren't cut open at the back, it was a strike and one the 'keeper really should have dealt with.

I think it's definitely to do with our inability to deal with crosses and it has an effect on our confidence. We were doing fine against County but the minute we conceded from a cross it sapped the players confidence and we were out the game. It's not surprising to see. We are actually a difficult side to break through from open play so when you are good at that side of the game it must be soul destroying when you continue to lose goals that should be easier to defend.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Of the 9 goals conceded in those games 7 were crosses and 1 was a penalty. Leaving only one from open play and even then we weren't cut open at the back, it was a strike and one the 'keeper really should have dealt with.

I think it's definitely to do with our inability to deal with crosses and it has an effect on our confidence. We were doing fine against County but the minute we conceded from a cross it sapped the players confidence and we were out the game. It's not surprising to see. We are actually a difficult side to break through from open play so when you are good at that side of the game it must be soul destroying when you continue to lose goals that should be easier to defend.

Your point about crosses obviously stands, but surely, unless the goals come from corners or free-kicks, they count as arriving via open play?

I also think a big factor in the Dunfermline game being different from the three that followed, concerns the motivation of our opponents.  Despite being hopeless for a long time, Dunfermline were virtually safe, and became officially so the following week, despite losing again.  

All of the teams that came later for us had lots to play for.  We obviously did too, but seem unable to rise to such demands.

The simplest answer of course is that against Dunfermline, we converted a couple of chances.  In the others (Partick apart) we had chances early, missed them, then lost.  

We even managed to lose our traditional goal from a corner against Dunfermline, but had done enough beforehand to get away with it.

I understand the obvious berating of the defending of crosses or indeed lack of it but to take that as a soul reason for where Queens find themselves it would be wrong.

At County, Queens should have been 2 up by the time County scored. 

As most will agree going 2 up in a game changes things somewhat.

yes, ICT at home 3 3 but on the whole, you take your chances you get something from the game.

Ultimately there was too many changes in January in the wrong positions. A back up striker was essential and it didn’t happen. 

Your point about crosses obviously stands, but surely, unless the goals come from corners or free-kicks, they count as arriving via open play?

Yeah technically that's correct. I was trying to point out that we are rarely cut open as a defensive unit.

I understand the obvious berating of the defending of crosses or indeed lack of it but to take that as a soul reason for where Queens find themselves it would be wrong.
At County, Queens should have been 2 up by the time County scored. 
As most will agree going 2 up in a game changes things somewhat.
yes, ICT at home 3 3 but on the whole, you take your chances you get something from the game.
Ultimately there was too many changes in January in the wrong positions. A back up striker was essential and it didn’t happen. 

It's not the sole reason but it's certainly the main reason.