The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Kunter said:

No one was saying sack the board when we were 4th top a few months ago.

It's a tight league and Naysmith brought in some dross in the January transfer window. 

We should have got rid of him during the 7 game defeat run. That was where the BOD went wrong. 

No but alot of our fans still weren't happy with the board even when we were 4th. It just got voiced more as the season went on and it was obvious the boards best interest wasn't the club. 

As for Naysmiths dross, he can only offer players what the board is willing to. 

It's a tight league and Naysmith brought in some dross in the January transfer window.   

The signings he made in January obviously haven't had the desired effect but it's pushing it to say they were dross.

Wilson - Been a good signing and brings energy to the middle. Hasn't always had the best of games but definitely has had more good than bad. The fact everyone could see we missed him badly against Thistle speaks volumes.

Maguire - Arguably been our best CB since arriving.

Aird - Clearly he's been a flop for us but I'd still argue it's harsh to call the league's top 'Assister' dross. It just hasn't worked for him here but I don't think anyone complained when we signed him.

Low - A player who instantly made an impact and quite clearly oozes class. He was always a risk with his injury history an unfortunately it struck again. Had he remained fit he'd have been a great player for us.

McGrath - About the only one you have a case with but in his defence he's clearly come here thinking he was playing football and not soccer.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It could be worse than this but hopefully Johnston will already realise that major surgery is needed on this squad. He has an ok record at this level and an excellent one at the level below. In all honesty I just can’t see us staying up as the whole outfit looks bereft of confidence. Quite a few of the team are just shite but we do have some players with the ability to play at this level but few if any are showing this. Dreadful stuff.

We may see if Johnston's supposedly excellent one at the level below continues. He has for me only proven himself at that level when the odds are stacked in his favour, the odds wont be stacked in his favour this time around if QoS go down. 

Id guess if the worst happens, you have made history in having the POTY and being relegated

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

We may see if Johnston's supposedly excellent one at the level below continues. He has for me only proven himself at that level when the odds are stacked in his favour, the odds wont be stacked in his favour this time around if QoS go down. 

Id guess if the worst happens, you have made history in having the POTY and being relegated

Yep agree with both of those points. 

I would hope we would have a chance to come up either as winners or through the play offs if we did go down. Certainly no guarantees though.

Of course we aren't down yet.

13 hours ago, Foley47 said:

The board are ruining our beloved club. Not so long ago our club was thriving, a team full of players who gave everything for the cause, took us all the way to a cup final and a European Tour, that team was full of players who gave everything for the cause. A team we loved and gave us a bit of a magic feeling. Even the Team we had when we finished in the play-offs which included Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. A young hungry squad that seen us beat His, Rangers and a decent Falkirk side all the space of a week. Now we're left with absolute dross, players with no heart, and a board who are quite content with us having a thread thin squad. It's our Centenary year and the board habe absolutely fucked us! The magic of Palmerston Park has gone, our fans have no hope and it's nobody to blame but the board. Our beloved club are on a fast downward spiral and we're just passengers while the board sit back and penny pinch from hard working loyal supporters. So here's what i suggest, no more being passengers for a board who lie and steal from us, no longer shall we sit back and accept what we are witnessing every week, no longer will OUR club be run into the ground . Let's all stick together and make our wee club have that magic feeling again. Let's once and for all get the board out, far away as possible from Queen Of The South . Saturday may well be our last game of the season and would be our last chance to make a difference. Either that or we all sit at home checking P&B and the official site for updates, sit back and have a moan on this and at work. I'm asking that we all stick together and perform a big protest. Before we watch our club fall apart. Mon the South. 

Birthday caird pish. The simple facts of the matter is that the 'thriving', golden age that you're peddling here consisted of two, essentially stand-alone seasons; indeed you were relegated to the seaside leagues in very similar circumstances to these between your Scottish Cup season and reaching the play-offs. In the past two seasons you finished 7th which is roughly your level in the current second tier of Scottish football and this time you've simply underperformed. That's football.

Suck it up instead of dreaming up such bizarre delusions of grandeur about where your club actually was within Scottish football and the 'fast downward spiral' that has occurred since. 

Edited by vikingTON

59 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The signings he made in January obviously haven't had the desired effect but it's pushing it to say they were dross.

Wilson - Been a good signing and brings energy to the middle. Hasn't always had the best of games but definitely has had more good than bad. The fact everyone could see we missed him badly against Thistle speaks volumes.

Aird - Clearly he's been a flop for us but I'd still argue it's harsh to call the league's top 'Assister' dross. It just hasn't worked for him here but I don't think anyone complained when we signed him.

Low - A player who instantly made an impact and quite clearly oozes class. He was always a risk with his injury history an unfortunately it struck again. Had he remained fit he'd have been a great player for us.

McGrath - About the only one you have a case with but in his defence he's clearly come here thinking he was playing football and not soccer.

Low is a flop in the sense of the fact we signed a very Injury prone player to a small squad and we managed him poorly.

Fraser Aird is something i’d have done but it seemed at the time like it was a case of ‘oh he’s available, let’s sign him’ without much consideration of how he’d fit in or whether he was really needed.

I’d say it was what we didn’t do that has hurt us more than the people we brought in, The lack of a third forward was the downfall. We’ve played the third most games in the league with the smallest squad, even if players don’t want to be third or fourth choice they had an opportunity to be a starter especially once dykes goes. Martin has been the worst regular keeper in the league so it’s on us for not getting someone in when it’s apparent he isn’t great instead of the current mess.

Couldn’t put it much better myself. I was surprised with Aird singing. GN always made a big deal about work rate; players working hard for one another etc. Look at Stirling, loaned out last season for being lazy. Aird has never, ever, struck me as a player that has exceptional work rate, and cares about anyone other than himself.

We have a club , in my opinion because of the board and the money they have put in. would you rather we went spend, spend, spend mental and finish like Gr£tna? I have not always agreed with them (eg Rangers vote) and I think GN should have gone earlier, but believe they are Queens supporters who will have financially given far more than my season ticket money each year. For all you sack the board people, where would the money come from then? Do you have the money to put in?  Do you have some willing volunteers somewhere in the background just ready to jump in with open wallets to buy the success of your dreams? 

Time for a reality check. BTW anyone want to explain to me how they are stealing from us, as suggested above?

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Birthday caird pish. The simple facts of the matter is that the 'thriving', golden age that you're peddling here consisted of two, essentially stand-alone seasons; indeed you were relegated to the seaside leagues in very similar circumstances to these between your Scottish Cup season and reaching the play-offs. In the past two seasons you finished 7th which is roughly your level in the current second tier of Scottish football and this time you've simply underperformed. That's football.

Suck it up instead of dreaming up such bizarre delusions of grandeur about where your club actually was within Scottish football and the 'fast downward spiral' that has occurred since. 

I'll do you in if you speak to me like that again

What are the board  supposed to do when we can only get 1200 odd at home games .

Money is very tight very hard to stay full time with crowds like that  .

We will have the smallest budget of all the full time teams very hard to attract decent players we will always be a players last option because of the money on offer .

I'm all for attacking the board at times, but I really don't see that there's much call for it here.

We've had a crap season, but it happens.  I've been annoyed by Naysmith and plenty of players.  Such are our crowds that this can happen in a bad season, just as play-offs at the other end can happen at the end of a decent one.

I don't really see this as 'sack the board' material.  And I don't really see what direction such an aspiration could realistically take anyway.

The Rangers vote was despicable.  The resistance to fan representation was distasteful.  This likely relegation however, is not directly the work of the board.

I am not a shareholder which possibly gives me less of a right to have a say, and definitely means I have access to less info. My main concern with the board is a lack of vision. The Arena was a fantastic develop so full credit to them for that. Since then it seems to be business as usual month by month with no long term aspirational plan. Perhaps that's a natural response to  the precarious (because a consistently loss making business with a reducing primary income stream is precarious) financial position. I don't see who else would come in and do better as board members though.

It's hard now to see us negotiating these play-offs successfully.

Despite what we saw on Saturday, I had some residual hope that we might be stronger than a side effectively in the middle of the division below.  Clearly though, we're not.

This tie is at best, in the balance now, and we'd then have to overcome another, better side after that.

It feels unlikely, unless Dobbie can somehow go on one of those streaks where he keeps scoring out of nothing.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm all for attacking the board at times, but I really don't see that there's much call for it here.

We've had a crap season, but it happens.  I've been annoyed by Naysmith and plenty of players.  Such are our crowds that this can happen in a bad season, just as play-offs at the other end can happen at the end of a decent one.

I don't really see this as 'sack the board' material.  And I don't really see what direction such an aspiration could realistically take anyway.

The Rangers vote was despicable.  The resistance to fan representation was distasteful.  This likely relegation however, is not directly the work of the board.

See that sign outside Palmerston that you don't shut up about?

I'll shove it up your arse.