The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Members of a Double winning team not worthy of "legend" status? Don't forget, also, Robinson was binned by Naysmith in favour of Martin, how did that work out?

Correct.

Not great, but the binning Robinson part of that change was still correct. Martin was just the wrong replacement.

I'd be ok with Robinson.

For the majority of his time here, over several spells, he's been quite good.  That wasn't the case for a chunk of his latest one of course, but it doesn't mean he must at all times be hopeless.

There's not a goalkeeper on our books now, that I'd pick ahead of him.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd be ok with Robinson.

For the majority of his time here, over several spells, he's been quite good.  That wasn't the case for a chunk of his latest one of course, but it doesn't mean he must at all times be hopeless.

There's not a goalkeeper on our books now, that I'd pick ahead of him.

Unless his attitude was way better than in his last spell he can GTF though.

His antics were absolutely embarrassing which is fine if backed up by good performances  but I thought he was pretty poor.  

Edit to add we need a new keeper but I`d be looking elsewhere.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Durnan played a few games alongside Ashcroft early in the season and looked ok. Came back from injury and played ten minutes and gave away a daft penalty against Raith Rovers. We bought him and Devine to play alongside Lee Ashcroft as a centre back three and it was never going to work. I think he’s ok but not amazing. Would do ok alongside the right partner. I guess you guys know this already which makes it puzzling as to why AJ signed him to do this role?

As for AJ in league one his record with both our clubs is amazing but let’s be honest and look at the teams he had and the teams he was up against. Ayr competed well with us and our captain got injured and we just went out and brought in an ex SPL player straight away. Ayr didn’t have anything like our squad or resources plus Faissal had that one off fluke season where he just scored with everything. Take nothing away from AJ it was great times and we ripped the pish out of that league. As soon as we came up to the championship he made some bad signings and took too long to fix things and was bailed out with transfers in the windows. Nicky Clark, McMullan, Aird, Morris, Higginbotham, Moffat, Cardle tbh most teams would do well with these players but around them he made errors and persisted with a 442 with a completely immobile Shiels and Wedderburn. If he had brought in Beadling, Vincent and Craigen earlier we would have been challenging for the title. We were certainly a better footballing side than Livingston and threw it away against Dundee United in the playoffs. Overall he was ok but his awful recruitment this season cost him big time.

If QOTS go down it’s quite likely he will sign Moffat and Faissal plus Durnan, Robinson and possibly go for more ex pars guys. If you stay up and recruit the right players you will be a threat next season and he will have a point to prove against us. For that reason, no offence, I’d rather you had a go in league one.

All the Dunfermline fans moaning about how bad ex Queens players were with them (Burns, Reilly, etc) just goes to show what a poor judge of a football player they all are. Same with Managers.
Or we have higher standards? Burns was too lightweight and not technically good enough to play in the SPL although he did score a good winner at Tannadice once. Reilly looked good at the start of the season but then turned to shit and looked like someone who had never watched a game of football let alone played in one. He did reasonably well at St Mirren but wasn't as good as some folk would have you believe. Most sane fans really liked Nicky Clark, Lee Robinson did well for us last season when he came in and Durnan looked OK before injury and then couldn't get back into the team. Bizarre claim.

Probably in the days before the internet they bumped their gums about Graeme ‘fanny’ Robertson too [emoji23]
Not as bad as that though. Robertson was a well liked and respected full back for us and one of the team full of Robertsons and Smiths that is still well regarded at East End.

I think the majority if fans were more than  happy when Alan Martin was signed to replace Robinson. He came with a good reputation,  was well liked by fans of his previous Club and usually played well when Queens and Dumbarton met.  The reality was however that his performances,  especially in his second season,  were erratic to say the least.  It's a bit of a conundrum whether he was poor because of the defence in front of him or the defence was poor because they didn't have great confidence in him. The way he "signed off" probably means he's finished here anyway . Either way replacing him is one of Johnston's top priorities. Mehmet looked shaky against Ross County,  I would probably keep Leighfield as he is a competent enough back-up but we need a competent 1st choice.  Robinson imo isn't that man,  plus he works on a slightly part-time basis which is one of the reasons he didn't feature at Dunfermline when Crawford took over.  Of course who Johnston can attract to any vacant position depends on which division we will be playing in so any speculation on who we would like to see signed is a bit up in your air just now. 

Robbo, IMO, isn’t far away from legendary status. For a keeper to scoop most (if not all) of the POTY awards when you get relegated says something. Saved penalties at Ibrox and in the final, and was exceptional all season. His second spell was okay, poor towards the end but then again, that whole team tailed off and were poor towards the end of the season.

When we released him it was just a bit meh, signing Martin was a boost, and a good signing at the time. Just a shame he’s hopeless.

If we go down then Leighfield wouldn’t be the worst option, he’s definitely improved on his spell in the team he had last season, a whole season as No1 couldn’t do him any harm.

45 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

With the potential expansion of the Championship it is even more important that we retain our status there.

Naysmith may well have more to answer for than he does already.

I don't follow that logic at all.

If the championship is expanded there will be 2 automatic promotion spots from league 1 next year, which would increase our chances of bouncing back at the first attempt should we go down.

Staying up through the playoffs is equally as important to the club, regardless of the future landscape of the league setup.