The Queen of the South thread

Doyle has won friends here due to his obvious levels of commitment, which have made him stand out among our sorry lot.

The centre of our defence also looked more solid with him in it, than it did with any of the other post-January permutations.  He's one of very few I'd be happy to see us keep.

None of that however, makes him a world beater.  It's possible someone at this level will make him an offer if we go down, thanks to his versatility.  

If he was such a talent though:

a) We wouldn't have him because Morton wouldn't have released him

b) We wouldn't have conceded goals at such an alarming rate when fielding him

Edited by Monkey Tennis

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Doyle has won friends here due to his obvious levels of commitment, which have made him stand out among our sorry lot.

The centre of our defence also looked more solid with him in it, than it did with any of the other post-January permutations.  He's one of very few I'd be happy to see us keep.

None of that however, makes him a world beater.  It's possible someone at this level will make him an offer if we go down, thanks go his versatility.  

Agree with it allI except your second point. Only disagree with it because im sure he played about the same (or maybe more) games at RM, or another position other than CB? 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

None of that however, makes him a world beater.  It's possible someone at this level will make him an offer if we go down, thanks go his versatility.  

I agree with this accept point b.

I am sure the Alloa CB who has help concede 53 goals this season I’d in fact in the Championship Team of the Season.

I am sure the Alloa CB who has help concede 53 goals this season I’d in fact in the Championship Team of the Season.

There’s more to it than how many goals his team have conceded. Andy Graham is a better centre half than Doyle. That’s pretty clear just from watching them both this season.

Ayr have got the second best defence in the league but I would never say Bell, Adams or Muirhead are 3 of the best centre halves in this league.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s more to it than how many goals his team have conceded. Andy Graham is a better centre half than Doyle. That’s pretty clear just from watching them both this season.

Ayr have got the second best defence in the league but I would never say Bell, Adams or Muirhead are 3 of the best centre halves in this league.

That’s exactly my point pal.

There is far more to rating a CB than just saying “they have conceded x number of goals”

Quality of keeper should effect that figure straight away.

Guest Flash

Our centre backs aren’t great. But they have been playing in front of the worst goalkeepers. I honestly think if we had been able to swap goalkeepers with anybody in the league we wouldn’t have finished 9th.

That’s exactly my point pal.
There is far more to rating a CB than just saying “they have conceded x number of goals”
Quality of keeper should effect that figure straight away.

I’m not judging Doyle based on how many goals Queens have conceded. I’m saying I’ve seen him 4 times this season and I wasn’t overly impressed. He’s decent enough but he’s a lower half Championship defender.

17 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve never had either as an Ayr manager but from the outside AJ is a quite significant upgrade on Naysmith.

If he starts signing ex players then he’d better stay well clear of Moff. Although Moffat would probably get Dobbie 50+ goals in league 1.

Moff didn't like him much. 

AJ is a manager that will get you batting at roughly where you should be, won't get you punching above your weight, probably won't let you down. He's horrendously limited tactically in that respect and needs to learn pronto. 

If QoTS do survive then it'll be interesting to see how he does next season with one of the lowest budgets. 

On the plus side he absolutely twats part time teams usually, Sandy Clarks a dick. 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Moff didn't like him much. 

AJ is a manager that will get you batting at roughly where you should be, won't get you punching above your weight, probably won't let you down. He's horrendously limited tactically in that respect and needs to learn pronto. 

If QoTS do survive then it'll be interesting to see how he does next season with one of the lowest budgets. 

On the plus side he absolutely twats part time teams usually, Sandy Clarks a dick. 

If we do stay up I would imagine there will be two teams with a lower budget than ourselves. Probably another two or three with similar.

Should we go down, as long as we keep a Championship budget then I would be confident of coming straight back up as champions or via the play-off.

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

That's fair.

The point is though that even though we looked steadier with him there, the goals continued to be lost in the same ways.

2 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

Agree with it allI except your second point. Only disagree with it because im sure he played about the same (or maybe more) games at RM, or another position other than CB? 

He did, but nothing I say argues otherwise.

I agree with the consensus that says our central defence looked tighter when he was there than it otherwise did.  He did a job elsewhere too which with our small squad made him important.

There's a feeling too that he had some impressive personal qualities.  He was vocal and more visibly driven than many of his colleagues.  In a side that seemed to lack heart among other things, he appeared strong.  

I think he's a decent enough player at this level for the above reasons.  He's probably not much more than that though.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:34, queenslad said:

Think we should get the team and management doon to Dumfries for a training session this week and to meet the supporters. They can then find out what a win on Saturday would mean to us.

Come Saturday night or end of the playoff, the players/managers futures will be decided, some may be with us another season or two, others may go play at a higher level, others similar level and others may drop a level but us supporters will still be here. It's our team.

Players/management come and go but supporters remain true

I said it last week - didn't think it would come true so soon

Beginning to accept our fate and had a look at the teams in league one and some not bad matches on the cards (with the exception of Peterhead). Quite a few grounds I've no been to in a while- stranraer, airdrie, east fife maybe even  annan and of course falkirk. Also never having to see Martin in goal is another bonus for next year.  

2 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

I think our downturn in form in 2019, and poor defence is probably a lot down to Callum Semple leaving. 7/10 minimum, every game he played.

Agreed.

Obviously we did have some good results in January without him, but I also see the loss of Harkins as significant.   Our midfield lacked composure after his departure and it meant we struggled to gain control of games at times.  I accept that this might not be the general view on here.

All the Dunfermline fans moaning about how bad ex Queens players were with them (Burns, Reilly, etc) just goes to show what a poor judge of a football player they all are. Same with Managers.

Probably in the days before the internet they bumped their gums about Graeme ‘fanny’ Robertson too [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, JessieField said:

If they'll come back, get Durnan and Robinson back, Queens legends.

Legend is a work used far too often. Neither are anywhere near that title.

I'd have Durnan back. It's a hell no to Robinson though, cannot be arsed watching his stupid antics every week.