The Queen of the South thread

Nothing surprises me with Billy, but thought Mark had more class about him. Disappointed with events on and off the pitch. Could be a wee bit uncomfortable for the directors next weekend.

It does have the air of an unplanned decision about it. I don’t know the chairman at all but Craig and Mark are both thoroughly decent guys and Queens to the core. I wouldn’t disagree with the decision. Timing wise it’s maybe a few months too late but definitely better late than never in this case. I already feel a lot more optimistic about the playoffs now than I did before.

Guest Flash
20 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Sadly what ever has or has not happened the board have now put the club in a shambles of a situation.

It would seem that at 4.50pm yesterday someone at Palmerston has spat their dummy out and decided the manager has to go.

With no thought of who will take the team into the playoffs. Potentially 4 of the most important fixtures of Queens recent history.

An absolute bloody shambles.

If they spat the dummy at 4.50, why would they allow Naysmith to do the post match interview for the OS, then get ready for and attend the supporters’ event in the evening? Why not tell him before he left the ground? 

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Again, do we know that this is the case?

Admittedly, the fact that no successor has been announced does not point to a plan.  Saying the dismissal was an example of dummy spitting however, makes it sound like an irrational act.  I'm not sure that it was.

I agree Monkey, we don’t really know.

But no matter how it was done, it was clear GN did not have a clue it was coming in his after match interview.

That leads me to think it was a decision made in haste.......

A decision resulting in an absolute car crash of a position prior to the playoffs.

The decision was correct. The manner in which it was delivered wasn't. He should have been taken into the boardroom after the match. To do it over the phone, be it text or call is poor.

Just now, steakpiegravy said:

Anyone know what’s the deal with players for this week? Presume many are out of contract and some may even now be contracted for other clubs?

Players are contracted to the end of May

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Anyone know what’s the deal with players for this week? Presume many are out of contract and some may even now be contracted for other clubs?

Contracts have to run until the start of the next registration period.

54 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Sadly what ever has or has not happened the board have now put the club in a shambles of a situation.

It would seem that at 4.50pm yesterday someone at Palmerston has spat their dummy out and decided the manager has to go.

With no thought of who will take the team into the playoffs. Potentially 4 of the most important fixtures of Queens recent history.

An absolute bloody shambles.

It's Naysmith that is responsible for the shambles.

The only mistake from the Board is that this should have been done months ago at the very least,

It has been clear for some time that he was not capable of arresting the desparate slide that we have been in.

If we had entered the play-offs with him in charge nothing would have changed - he cannot lift nor motivate players.

So, I don't think anyone has " spat the dummy" but have taken a calculated risk that something needed  to change.

Having said that, no matter who is in charge for the play-offs I fear greatly for our position.

Dobbie aside, most of these players will not be here next season - thankfully -  so why should they care what happens to us ?

Lose and they get an extra week's holiday and no pressure.

The most motivating thing to do would have  been to appoint a permanent successor who could then tell the players that they have 4 games to impress him and be retained for next season.

On the subject of personnel I would only want to keep Mercer, Doyle, Marshall and Stirling - maybe  Mehmet the GK.

I suspect most of these will move on though and the rest can be let go without question.

9 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

The only mistake from the Board is that this should have been done months ago at the very least,

It has been clear for some time that he was not capable of arresting the desparate slide that we have been in.

If we had entered the play-offs with him in charge nothing would have changed - he cannot lift nor motivate players.

So, I don't think anyone has " spat the dummy" but have taken a calculated risk that something needed  to change.

Having said that, no matter who is in charge for the play-offs I fear greatly for our position.

Dobbie aside, most of these players will not be here next season - thankfully -  so why should they care what happens to us ?

The most motivating thing to do would have  been to appoint a permanent successor who could then tell the players that they have 4 games to impress him and be retained for next season.

On the subject of personnel I would only want to keep Mercer, Doyle, Marshall and Stirling - maybe  Mehmet the GK.

I suspect most of these will move on though and the rest can be let go without question.

I like all 3 of Mercer, Doyle and Marshall but we need to acknowledge that they have largely been first picks in an awful defence.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Peter Houston had a terrific record at Falkirk and came up just short in the face of extreme competition. It is inconceivable that Falkirk would be anywhere near relegation with him at the helm. Would take him at Queens but he is now a Manager who is unfairly labelled negatively despite having a managerial record that actually stacks up and has substance at this level.

If Houston gets the job, presumably, we'll need to actually Dobbie the £2k a week he's definitely on.

Hard pass

I wonder what will happen to the present team. Do they realise that how they play in the  next cple of weeks will define if they continue to play full-time football either for this club or another. Another 4 matches like yesterday then most will be looking for alternative employment.

21 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I like all 3 of Mercer, Doyle and Marshall but we need to acknowledge that they have largely been first picks in an awful defence.

Totally agree with this.

They seem like decent players, but lots of evidence suggests they're found wanting at this level.  Obviously the goalkeeping issue has been a big factor, but it's not the only one.  

I'd suggest that central defence has been more of a concern than the full backs, but nobody can be exempt from blame.

I think now is the time to re-visit the connolly experiment with players from the north of england training at Dumfries.

Connolly did sign some duds but also signed some class players.

With the right man in charge that knows them leagues inside out

BOWSER !!!!!!

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

the decision one way or another should have been made a month ago hence my comment asking why was it done now.

The reason I say the dummy has come out is that with no successor in place it was quite clearly a decision on the spur of the moment. 

2 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I would take Houston to be honest.

Things could always change, but he said when he took the job with us that he had no interest in being a manager again and would only be an assistant from now on. He’s still Scotland under-21 assistant as well so he may not be desperate to rush back into any club.