The Queen of the South thread

Thinking back to the afternoon in late August when we cantered to a 3-0 victory at Falkirk, when double figures would have been a more accurate reflection of the balance of play, in the most one-sided Championship game I’ve ever seen - it’s quite remarkable to think that if we take that match out of the equation, we actually performed worse than that utter rabble over the course of the season.

5-0 and 4-0 victories against Ayr and Ross County respectively seem like distant memories now, but the warning signs were always there: a paper-thin squad heavily reliant on one ageing star, with very poor central defenders, lack of cover in most positions, but particularly in the striking department, and a bench filled with callow youngsters, who with the best will in the world were never Championship standard - I always took issue with the oft-expressed opinion that we had no-one on the bench capable of changing a game - we did, just not for the better.

The last 3 or 4 months have been an utter disaster, but it was always liable to be so, given that injuries and fatigue would kick in (it hardly required Nostradamus to see this). We’ve had very little luck in that respect, with (arguably) our three best players (Dobbie, Todd and Low) being particularly afflicted, but there was a certain inevitability to all this. Leaving aside managerial limitations (which has clearly been a factor), it feels like the chickens are finally coming home to roost on the penny-pinching short-termism that seems to be club’s modus operandi these days.

The squad now resembles a rabble of the barely-fit and the barely-interested. Few players have a contract for next year, with seemingly more players committed to (or attached to) other clubs than to our own. Yes, the loan market and short-term contracts are firmly where we are as a club at the moment, given our financial position and low crowds, but the impression lingers that (Dobbie aside) we have a transient group that may or may not feel much commitment to the club. The stark contrast between our performances in recent weeks and those of our relegation rivals is telling.

I’m not making excuses for Naysmith here btw - he’s looked like a beleaguered and demoralised figure of late, and a gloomy, negative mindset seems to have pervaded his approach on the park at times - but I think the club’s problems are much deeper rooted than the limitations of one man. I’m not at all optimistic about navigating our way through the play offs, but even if we do stay up, it’s hard to see anything other than a grim struggle ahead over the next few years.

Edited by Frankie S

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
14 minutes ago, JessieField said:
So if Dobbie is put in charge for the playoffs and we're relegated, will he be sacked?

Is this happening?

I doubt if JessieField was serious but we don't really have anyone obvious on the existing staff to take the team at such short notice, unless the BoD have someone in mind,  so maybe it'll be left to a couple of senior players and Dobbie as captain could be involved. We have Eddie Warwick of course who's reserve team coach but whether he's got enough experience  to take charge of such games I've no idea. 

Just now, sidofthesouth said:

If only we had a guy who had won Scottish manager of the year the last time he was in charge and who has a track record of horsing league 1 teams and who is currently unattached. Wish i could think of someone.........

Magic, But he had a great team of players that were all better than league 1, when he left and went to Killie then Pars he wasn't great. His style of football is good on the eye tho, wouldn't be against the appointment but would need the cash to build a team to either fight for survival in the Championship or fight to come back up against am sure a strong Falkirk tram.. 

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Magic, But he had a great team of players that were all better than league 1, when he left and went to Killie then Pars he wasn't great. His style of football is good on the eye tho, wouldn't be against the appointment but would need the cash to build a team to either fight for survival in the Championship or fight to come back up against am sure a strong Falkirk tram.. 

Magic did well in a weaker League 1 and had arguably better players at his disposal.  Even if Naysmith was here or  whoever the new Manager is, they will have to sign a complete new squad no matter what division we are in as Dobbie is the only player currently signed up. 

By the way does the Falkirk "tram" you mention go anywhere near the Kelpies?

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

53 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm glad you clarified that or I would never have known.

Your response did indeed suggest that you needed pointers.

Saying that Northfield shouldn't care how we do, because he tends to adopt a gloomy outlook, makes little sense.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I said after yesterday's game that he (Naysmith) shouldn't be here for the play-offs. We could put Dougie the Doonhamer in charge and he would still motivate the players better than Naysmith did.  His tactics and team selection yesterday were baffling, another example of him setting up to try and steal points.  This was a must win game, hoping to keep it tight and match Alloa's result for safety had the potential to backfire and it did spectacularly. To go from a top end play-off place to surviving automatic relegation on a narrow goal difference should have got him sacked anyway  even if we do retain our  Championship status.  He's tried to play snatch and grab in too many games and failed in most of them,  especially in the last half of the campaign, he's failed and paid the price.      

2 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Can we stop pissing about and get Allan Johnston back for the play off matches and then try & persuade him to come back permanently if he rescues this shitshow of a season

Ditto,