The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

my belief is that ted mcminn was an excellent player . best i have seen in 50 years .  dobbie is a good player but queens are too dependant on stephen dobbie . a one man team you might say .  where as mcminn was playing in same team as george cloy allan ball   stewart cochrane other decent players . ted just stood out in a decent team .

You're argument didn't really work there did it. 

Aidan Smith: worth bringing back?
Seems to be having good season at Annan. Wouldn't get the regular 90 minutes he gets there but not bad option from bench or prove himself.

Why would he want to come back if he wasn’t going to get a regular 90 minutes?

Seems to be having good season at Annan. Wouldn't get the regular 90 minutes he gets there but not bad option from bench or prove himself.

Don’t see how he wouldn’t, he’s bulked up considerably. Scoring goals from the left wing, can play upfront... I think he’s definitely worth looking at again, game time will have done him world of good too. Chris Johnston is another one id like to see us have a look at, understand he’s sniffed about a few clubs before going down the way but he seems to have found his form again and kept away from injuries, part time football maybe suits him better. But another i wouldn’t mind us looking at

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

It's not my argument but it clearly does work. Standing out in a talented team is a bigger feat than standing out in a mediocre team. There's a counter argument that McMinn was possibly made to look good by the talented players around him but the first argument still works.

Don’t see how he wouldn’t, he’s bulked up considerably. Scoring goals from the left wing, can play upfront... I think he’s definitely worth looking at again, game time will have done him world of good too. Chris Johnston is another one id like to see us have a look at, understand he’s sniffed about a few clubs before going down the way but he seems to have found his form again and kept away from injuries, part time football maybe suits him better. But another i wouldn’t mind us looking at
John Rankin short-listed for Player of the Season in that division. Lets just bear that in mind folks.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

John Rankin short-listed for Player of the Season in that division. Lets just bear that in mind folks.

Two divisions down from the Championship is probably a better level for Rankin,  and would Aidan Smith be as effective two divisions higher than he is just now. IF we do drop a division then maybe he would be worth having a look at.  

2 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

no argument . just an opinion . in my 52 years  ted mcminn best player i have seen in a queens shirt .  best goalkeeper alan barney davidson .  best captain nobby clark .

Must admit I never really ‘got’ Ted McMinn. Obviously a skilful, if highly unorthodox, player, but I always thought he was just as likely to trip over his own legs as he was to create or score a goal (his goal return for an attacking player was fairly disappointing throughout his career). He went on to have a very good career, so he obviously had a lot of talent, but not sure I’d even have him in the Best Queens XI of my era. 

Can think of numerous players I much preferred in a Queens shirt - Tommy O’Hara, Tommy Bryce, Jimmy Robertson, Peter Dickson, Jim Dempster, Andy Thomson et al, but Dobbie is the best of the lot, by a country mile.

We've been very poor this season but the fact Dobbie has scored 40 goals and basically dragged us through the season says alot. I think it's harder to shine in a very poor squad than it is to play well in a talented side. 

I am not speaking from personal experience but
Tommy Muir is the player that I hear has the most potential. I recall he was debated on this site at start of season.

31 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

We've been very poor this season but the fact Dobbie has scored 40 goals and basically dragged us through the season says alot. I think it's harder to shine in a very poor squad than it is to play well in a talented side. 

Oh really? 

On 1/31/2019 at 16:19, QoS_1919 said:

The squad is stronger and some of the players we have can play in a number of positions, which is a great asset to the squad if there's any injuries or suspensions. 

On 1/31/2019 at 19:17, ALOREBURNE said:

It’s been an excellent transfer window 

On 1/31/2019 at 19:31, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah fair play to all involved. Naysmith said early on we'd have to wait and on paper he's done a decent job. I know people say we need a striker but it'd be extremely difficult to loan a striker who is only going to get 10/15 minutes here and there as the Dykes/Dobbie partnership would take some breaking.

Good to have a wee bit of depth now and it's going to be good seeing a bench with potential. When was the last time we could say that? Hopefully Todd makes a quick recovery and the new boys hit the ground running and 4th may not be unthinkable.

Well done to all involved.

On 1/31/2019 at 20:12, die hard doonhamer said:

To me, that's a fantastic window. Well done Naysmith, and also to the board. Hopefully we can kick on to a playoff spot from here.

On 2/1/2019 at 17:05, SUPERSOUTH said:

Our priority signing has to be Gary Naysmith he has done a great job and assembled a very good team with very limited resources.. Time for the board to act Now... 

On 2/1/2019 at 17:21, Sankasouthy said:

Gary Naysmith has built up a very good squad going into the latter stages of the Championship. I do believe The Queens have a good chance of making the top 4. With our current good record against teams above us, who knows what could happen?

And my personal favourite: 

On 1/31/2019 at 23:07, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Hard to see how ICT, Morton and Pars have improved this window. If we can consistently only lose say 1 in 5 games till the end of the season we’ll get the play-offs easily.

Image result for mourinho pie and bovril

Are you on Crystal Meth ?

He was pish first time round and you want to bring him back

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Must admit I never really ‘got’ Ted McMinn. Obviously a skilful, if highly unorthodox, player, but I always thought he was just as likely to trip over his own legs as he was to create or score a goal (his goal return for an attacking player was fairly disappointing throughout his career). He went on to have a very good career, so he obviously had a lot of talent, but not sure I’d even have him in the Best Queens XI of my era. 

Can think of numerous players I much preferred in a Queens shirt - Tommy O’Hara, Tommy Bryce, Jimmy Robertson, Peter Dickson, Jim Dempster, Andy Thomson et al, but Dobbie is the best of the lot, by a country mile.

Agreed.

Ted McMinn was an exciting, but erratic player for us.  It's pretty much how his career continued thereafter, but the fact that he could cut it at much higher levels tells us that he clearly had a great deal of ability. 

However, his move from us to Rangers came totally out of the blue.  He wasn't so wildly outstanding for us that a big move looked inevitable at all.  In terms of his Queens performances, he's not one of the greats.

I am not speaking from personal experience but
Tommy Muir is the player that I hear has the most potential. I recall he was debated on this site at start of season.

I watched tommy when at Dalbeattie more than what I’ve seen him recently, a boy that would run himself into the ground, put himself and can put ball away, still at a decent age also. Had a good season.

14 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Hopefully Queens are training at Palmerston all this week, that way the players will know everything about our pitch.

I hope they aren't.

I don't see any benefit in players who are largely located in central belt travelling up and down to Dumfries every day.

If the players don't know the pitch by now then I don't see an extra few days at this stage making any appreciable difference.