The Queen of the South thread

Must confess all of today’s results went our way, couldn’t have asked for more. So much for the teams at the top not trying, all 4 win. I’m breathing slightly easier now.  Slightly....

Any sign of a Dobbie return?

7 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

What makes GN’s preferred tactics of sitting deep and inviting pressure so hard to comprehend is the fact that our record at corners/crosses is absolutely dreadful. Why on earth would you want to put yourselves under penalty box pressure when you have a glaring weakness in terms of winning key headers allied to goalkeepers who are glued to the goal line. The other staggering fact is that we offer literally no threat ourselves from headers in the opposition box. Dykes is around the same height as Messrs Graham and Stewart and yet almost never gets on the end of a dangerous cross.

Personally I have been amazed that such faith has been placed on GN. After 7 consecutive losses that should have been the catalyst for change and if we end up in the Play Offs in all seriousness I would not want to entrust our fate to Gary Naysmith. I would prefer to take our chances with Laurie Ellis assisted by Dobbie. It remains to be seen if we will get that Play Off opportunity but we definitely need a fresh approach as “more of the same” will see us relegated from a very solid mid season position.

Spot on.

Naysmiths  record is appalling.

The recent losing streak seems worse than that of Skelton when he was ditched and considerably worse than anything James Fowler was guilty of.

A dreadfully low number of home wins this season and on the whole negative tactics employed when it has been demonstrated that we can win handsomely when attacking philosophy employed.

He has made us worse each season culminating in the perilous position in which we find ourselves now which, as a Manager having Dobbie at your disposal, is frankly unacceptable.

If we are relegated it won't be because of Harkins or Baird  or any other player but 100% Naysmith.

It amazes me how lightly he has been treated over the desperate situation we find ourselves in.

Of course, he does say the right things to get people on board which must have got him the job in the first place and in recent times has been 'wooing' the fans to stick with it  -  well of course we will Gary because of  our feelings for QOS,  not for you.

He commended us recently for  " believing in what we are trying to do "  .    What exactly is that Gary,  to get relegated, as I have not  been able to identify progress towards any other objective since you have been here.

He should have been gone at the end of last season but at the very least after the home defeat to Inverness this season after which we had a break to get a replacement in and to take a fresh approach.

As Rjc says ,   more of the same will not be good enough.

It is absolutely scandalous that we are going into the final game with the prospect of finishing bottom two but of course I hope we are successful.

Then it is time for change.  

He and many of the players  need to be moved on.

1 minute ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Spot on.

The recent losing streak seems worse than that of Skelton when he was ditched and considerably worse than anything James Fowler was guilty of.

A dreadfully low number of home wins this season and on the whole negative tactics employed when it has been demonstrated that we can win handsomely when attacking philosophy employed.

He has made us worse each season culminating in the perilous position in which we find ourselves now which, as a Manager having Dobbie at your disposal, is frankly unacceptable.

If we are relegated it won't be because of Harkins or Baird  or any other player but 100% Naysmith.

It amazes me how lightly he has been treated over the desperate situation we find ourselves in.

Of course, he does say the right things to get people on board which must have got him the job in the first place and in recent times has been 'wooing' the fans to stick with it  -  well of course we will Gary because of  our feelings for QOS,  not for you.

He commended us recently for  " believing in what we are trying to do "  .    What exactly is that Gary,  to get relegated, as I have not  been able to identify progress towards any other objective since you have been here.

He should have been gone at the end of last season but at the very least after the home defeat to Inverness this season after which we had a break to get a replacement in and to take a fresh approach.

It is absolutely scandalous that we are going into the final game with the prospect of finishing bottom two but of course I hope we are successful.

Yes, I'd agree with most of that.

Skelton's losing run didn't just seem shorter though.  Was it not only about four games old when he moved aside?  It also followed an extended winning run.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't think Skelton's departure had anything to do with how he was performing for us tbh.

No, I think that's true.

Obviously, we can't know how things might have developed, but I think it's regrettable that his stint ended so soon.  The story since hasn't been great.

39 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Spot on.

You don’t like him do you ? 

Has he pumped your wife ? 

I like Naysmith in that he works hard for the club, speaks honestly to the media and clearly cares. That said results just haven't been good enough and it's hard to make any case for him to stay. [emoji20]

That’s basically where I’m at I think. I do like him and I do think he’ll go on to be a decent manager because of the attributes you list. I’m probably 60/40 in favour of getting rid although at times (such as during the game last night) that rises to 90/10.

He’s had 2 and a half years to make his mark and he hasn’t managed to take us forward any, despite having the luxury of Dobbie.

The one thing that may work in his favour is that with such a large rebuilding job on the cards the board may decide “better the devil you know” rather than trusting it to a new manager. Depends who is available to replace him and what their track record with signings is I suppose.

It’s all gone a bit flat and stale since the turn of the year and whilst I’m not as strongly opposed to him as some I think we probably do need the freshness a new manager brings.

Strange thing is a win next sat coupled with Inverness beating Dunfermline and Queens would finish 6th in the league, this would bring a fair bit extra prize money to what we a currently getting.. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Too much thinking going on here. The permutations don't matter. 

A win on Saturday guarantees at least 8th place.  Safety after a shit second half to the season is, admittedly, a hollow achievement, but Saturday's game should be the priority. 

Is it true that Queens have the smallest budget of the Championship sides (apart from semi-professional Alloa)?

If so, what's the problem with a reality check?  

So I know probably a week early as we have a massive game next week one of the biggest in the last 40 years I have followed Queens but who do we keep and who do we thank for there service. Obviously in my opinion bar Dobbie, it's Doyle, Mercer Marshall although I think he could be away, Jacobs, leighfield, Murray as both young, Stirling and Fordyce depending on league we are in. If we could keep Low fit  him as well. Also manager has to go 

Guest Flash

The negative shitebaggery has been the worst part of his reign. Playing Doyle in right midfield was laughable. The last straw for me was playing 8 defensive players against Morton. Imo he often seems to be like a manager who has inherited somebody else’s squad, doesn’t know how to get the best out of them and ends up employing tactics that actually weaken the team.

However, the only difference between this season and the previous ones since he arrived is that we only took one point off Alloa. If we had taken 10 points from them, instead of them taking 10 from us, we’d be in the usual mid-table spot and Alloa would be relegated. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to Alloa and they deserved to get their 10 points. But if they were getting that off everybody else, they would have strolled the league.  Even if we had just won the 2 home games v Alloa, we would be safe. It shows what can happen when you don’t try to win every game and you rely on beating the apparent weaker team 3 or 4 times to keep you safe.  Some might say it is obvious that you pick up more points against the lower ranked teams. I’m not so sure that it hasn’t been a deliberate tactic of Naysmith’s to shitfest an average of about a point a game against everybody else and only really “go for it” against the team expected to be at the bottom. Whether it has been or not, that is the main difference this season. His reign has been pretty miserable for the most part, despite having the best player any of us have seen playing for us.

We've only ourselves to blame anyway. If Ayr put out their Under 19's they would be fully entitled to do so and we can have no complaints. Blowing a 3-0 lead with 20 minutes left at home to Caley, only taking 1 point from 12 from the part-time club in the division, failing to beat 2 relegation rivals at home a couple of weeks back, those are the results that have ballsed us up this season.

By the same token we’ve beaten all of the top 4 teams at one point this season, came back from 3 down to rescue a point vs Alloa, and beat Thistle at home after the referee never blew for a stonewall penalty in the last minute for them. These things even themselves out.

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, mckenna said:

Is this maybe a week to be supportive, positive and forget any pro/anti board or Naysmith comments ?

I agree with you about being supportive at the game. I don’t really see what difference it makes to anything discussing stuff on here. Or are the folk who debate things on here to blame for the abject surrender in the second half on Friday night and some of the other shit performances and results? There were lots of positive comments around the start of the year when we beat ICT, County and Dundee. Didn’t stop us from going on a 7 game losing run.