The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, overthetop said:

Dundee Utd will no doubt let Falkirk beat them today.
So probably 9th place tonight.
Could this season getting any worst?

This might happen but I`m not sure why United would deliberately let it happen.

Also unless Falkirk win by an 8 goal margin they won`t overtake us today. 

We will be in 9th if Alloa get a point today but not sure what United "donating" Falkirk 3 points has to do with that.

12 minutes ago, happysouth said:

Other than the manager getting sacked or resigning im not sure what set of results to hope for today.

Unfortunately a resignation won't happen. Said it before, no understanding of limitations. And wouldn't hold out for the sack. What happened to the last guy that took us down? 

7 minutes ago, nomad said:

Unfortunately a resignation won't happen. Said it before, no understanding of limitations. And wouldn't hold out for the sack. What happened to the last guy that took us down? 

His contract wasn't renewed. 

Re our defending,  or lack of it,  at corners,  one fairly obvious solution would be to not allow the opposition to pack our box and the area around it when  we bring  all our players back.  Leaving at least one a bit further up the park would take two maybe three opposition players out of the equation and would give us a better chance of setting up a counter-attack. The sheer height of some of the County players makes defending corners/crosses even more difficult though,  maybe you've sometimes got to hold up your hands  and credit the delivery and finishes.  We have lost some howlers throughout the season though. 

Guest Flash
15 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Re our defending,  or lack of it,  at corners,  one fairly obvious solution would be to not allow the opposition to pack our box and the area around it when  we bring  all our players back.  Leaving at least one a bit further up the park would take two maybe three opposition players out of the equation and would give us a better chance of setting up a counter-attack. The sheer height of some of the County players makes defending corners/crosses even more difficult though,  maybe you've sometimes got to hold up your hands  and credit the delivery and finishes.  We have lost some howlers throughout the season though. 

Agree with your first point, but the guy who scored the first goal didn’t even need to jump. Not sure there are any players around who are so tall that they can beat everybody in the air without their feet leaving the ground. It was shambolic defending. Again.

A lot of us blamed Martin for all the goals conceded from crosses but I think it is more obvious than that our central defenders can't defend a corner or free kick. Naysmith decided to get rid of both our experienced central defenders and since then we have had a number of youngsters on loan plus Fordyce, Brownlie and Doyle and have been awful from set plays since, also four goalkeepers for good measure .  Were we  always this awful from set plays or is it just since Naysmith took over. 

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

His contract wasn't renewed. 

I believe a contract was offered, but he declined, so left by mutual agreement. Who knows what the BOD decision will be post season. But if it happens, another year of GN in the seaside league may be the straw. 

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, Dobbie11 said:

A lot of us blamed Martin for all the goals conceded from crosses but I think it is more obvious than that our central defenders can't defend a corner or free kick. Naysmith decided to get rid of both our experienced central defenders and since then we have had a number of youngsters on loan plus Fordyce, Brownlie and Doyle and have been awful from set plays since, also four goalkeepers for good measure .  Were we  always this awful from set plays or is it just since Naysmith took over. 

Don’t remember it being as bad as this before. Take your point about the centre backs, but the goalkeeping has been woeful. Keeper was rooted for the first and second last night. You could argue the first cross had decent pace on it, so was difficult to come for, but the second was a fairly looping cross that dropped about 4 yards out at head height. Then he decided to come for one that he got nowhere near. I’d even question the third - fairly decent shot, but not in the corner and seemed to go through his hands.

I watched some of the Youth Cup final and the boys playing in goal dealt with more crosses in 90 minutes than Martin and the others have in 2 seasons. But that isn’t to say the defenders are exempt from criticism.

5 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Your best result today is for us to get beat. And then it is in your own hands to stay up.

I take your point.  I desperately want next week's match to matter to both sides, because it's in our interests to have as many sides still involved as possible.  I say that despite the argument that says Thistle might be more vulnerable on the day if already safe.

The fact of the matter is though that staying up is effectively already in our own hands.  If we win next week, we're not going to finish bottom.  Our fate in play-offs would of course be in our own hands.  

The 'in our own hands' idea does however, provide very little comfort.  I can't think of hands I'd trust less.

What makes GN’s preferred tactics of sitting deep and inviting pressure so hard to comprehend is the fact that our record at corners/crosses is absolutely dreadful. Why on earth would you want to put yourselves under penalty box pressure when you have a glaring weakness in terms of winning key headers allied to goalkeepers who are glued to the goal line. The other staggering fact is that we offer literally no threat ourselves from headers in the opposition box. Dykes is around the same height as Messrs Graham and Stewart and yet almost never gets on the end of a dangerous cross.

Personally I have been amazed that such faith has been placed on GN. After 7 consecutive losses that should have been the catalyst for change and if we end up in the Play Offs in all seriousness I would not want to entrust our fate to Gary Naysmith. I would prefer to take our chances with Laurie Ellis assisted by Dobbie. It remains to be seen if we will get that Play Off opportunity but we definitely need a fresh approach as “more of the same” will see us relegated from a very solid mid season position.

If not out of jail this afternoon, we've at least got a parole hearing next week.

We can't really finish bottom now.  We also know that if we beat Thistle, we can't be in the play-offs.  We also have a wonky safety net, in that if we don't beat Thistle, we'll still be alright unless Alloa better our result at Ayr.

It feels a bit better than it looked last night.

Huge game next week.  Thistle should bring plenty and I hope (probably in vain) that we can have a decent turnout too.  I really hope the suggestions Dobbie might make it, aren't fanciful.