The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There was some really cringey stuff as the January transfer window was closing.  Absurd levels of optimism were in evidence.  

I don't think any of us were foreseeing it going this hideously wrong at that point, but Queens fans should always fear the worst.

Yes I suppose its better if we all adopt the Northfield attitude towards Queens.  I mean why should some fans have had the audacity to be optimistic back then when we were sitting in a healthy position in the table and had signed what many thought would be useful  players  in Low and Aird after getting rid of waste of space Harkins. Baffling really.  

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes I suppose its better if we all adopt the Northfield attitude towards Queens.  I mean why should some fans have had the audacity to be optimistic back then when we were sitting in a healthy position in the table and had signed what many thought would be useful  players  in Low and Aird after getting rid of waste of space Harkins. Baffling really.  

Some didn't choose to re-write history regarding Harkins, just because he'd left us.  Some even wondered about signing a permanently injured player to augment our already tiny squad.

The Board need to make a change for the last 3 games to give us a fighting chance of staying up. Thank GN for his efforts, but let him go early. He wont be here next year anyway and bringing someone else in now would let then have a look at the squad in terms of preparing for next season.
A fresh pair of eyes looking at the squad and the tactics might (just) be enough to keep us up. There is no evidence that things will change otherwise (1 win in 13 under GN would suggest he cant arrest the current situation).
Whats David Hopkin up to these days?
As far as I'm concerned this is a last throw of the dice I would make was thinking this last night just a different approach for the last 3 games.

13 minutes ago, gogs said:

As far as I'm concerned this is a last throw of the dice I would make was thinking this last night just a different approach for the last 3 games.

Having watched highlights how did Dykes not score! A could have scored that one on one chance & then the Alloa goal!! Say know more! Naysmith certainly can't be blamed for either big moment in the game... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Having watched highlights how did Dykes not score! A could av scored that  one on one chance & then the Alloa goal!! Say know more! Naysmith can't be blamed for either moment in the game... 

Could Naysmith be praised if Dykes had defied convention by tucking it away?

Guest Flash
43 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Having watched highlights how did Dykes not score! A could have scored that one on one chance & then the Alloa goal!! Say know more! Naysmith certainly can't be blamed for either big moment in the game... 

He picked Brownlie who looks very culpable for the goal and had done nothing to justify being in the team. He also picked Leighfield who didn’t cover himself in glory at their goal either, cost us 2 points last week and almost gifted Ayr a couple of goals. As with every club where a team is getting terrible results, the buck stops with the manager. You might have a case if yesterday had been a one-off. But it is 5 points from 12 matches. That is appalling and I have no idea why anybody would want to defend a manager with that grim record.

Slightly off topic. 
[mention=12169]19QOS19[/mention] Did you tell us a wee while back how many goals and crosses we've conceded this season? And, do you know what it is now? 
I've included crosses from open play, corners and free-kicks altogether. I think the point is we're unable to deal with crosses so the source of the cross is irrelevant.

Goals Conceded: 40

From crosses: 25

62.5% of our league goals have been from crosses. If I add the penalties (3) it means of the goals we've conceded only 30% have been from open play. To say we are dreadful at the back isn't entirely accurate. If we could do the absolute basics and mark/ have a goalkeeper who comes off his line I don't think we'd be in this mess. But there's no denying what our problem has been this season.

Had we dealt with said crosses I've looked and it would have seen us 29 points better off. That part is obviously not going to be entirely accurate as there are a lot of factors to take into consideration but I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest we'd be in a far better position if we didn't defend set-pieces like amateurs.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

He picked Brownlie who looks very culpable for the goal and had done nothing to justify being in the team. He also picked Leighfield who didn’t cover himself in glory at their goal either, cost us 2 points last week and almost gifted Ayr a couple of goals. As with every club where a team is getting terrible results, the buck stops with the manager. You might have a case if yesterday had been a one-off. But it is 5 points from 12 matches. That is appalling and I have no idea why anybody would want to defend a manager with that grim record.

Brownlie was absolutely infuriating yesterday.  We never look likely to score from set pieces but we sure as hell make sure we don't when Brownlie gives away several completely needless free kicks from stupid fouls in the opposition box.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've included crosses from open play, corners and free-kicks altogether. I think the point is we're unable to deal with crosses so the source of the cross is irrelevant.

62.5% of our league goals have been from crosses. If I add the penalties (3) it means of the goals we've conceded only 30% have been from open play. To say we are dreadful at the back isn't entirely accurate. If we could do the absolute basics and mark/ have a goalkeeper who comes off his line I don't think we'd be in this mess. But there's no denying what our problem has been this season.

Had we dealt with said crosses I've looked and it would have seen us 29 points better off. That part is obviously not going to be entirely accurate as there are a lot of factors to take into consideration but I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest we'd be in a far better position if we didn't defend set-pieces like amateurs.

That goal direct from a corner on Saturday sums it up. We find new ways to concede. 

We played better going forward than last time v Alloa at their place and deserved something from the game but with our defence in its current state...

6 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

The Board need to make a change for the last 3 games to give us a fighting chance of staying up. Thank GN for his efforts, but let him go early. He wont be here next year anyway and bringing someone else in now would let then have a look at the squad in terms of preparing for next season.
A fresh pair of eyes looking at the squad and the tactics might (just) be enough to keep us up. There is no evidence that things will change otherwise (1 win in 13 under GN would suggest he cant arrest the current situation).
Whats David Hopkin up to these days?

David Hopkin would be a great appointment as a new manager but the board as always will do nothing just sit and hope Queens somehow avoid relegation .

Some fans seem to want to give Naysmith a new contract even if we go down not me whatever happens I would get Naysmith out we need to start again it will have to be part time football but Alloa have shown that with the right manager part time football is not that bad 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had we dealt with said crosses I've looked and it would have seen us 29 points better off. That part is obviously not going to be entirely accurate as there are a lot of factors to take into consideration but I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest we'd be in a far better position if we didn't defend set-pieces like 

I knew you were the right person to ask! Cheers for that, it must have took some digging. 

I wonder if the majority were after Semple left. (Not asking you to look into that btw.) You'd think after the first 10 (at most) goals conceded from crosses that GN would have tried to sort it out, but there's been no evidence of that. Martin as well, literally every Queens fan know he's been poor with coming of his line and commanding his area, except GN and Martin himself. 

The stats are terrible, especially since it's been happening for more than 1 season now. 

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

I knew you were the right person to ask! Cheers for that, it must have took some digging. 

I wonder if the majority were after Semple left. (Not asking you to look into that btw.) You'd think after the first 10 (at most) goals conceded from crosses that GN would have tried to sort it out, but there's been no evidence of that. Martin as well, literally every Queens fan know he's been poor with coming of his line and commanding his area, except GN and Martin himself. 

The stats are terrible, especially since it's been happening for more than 1 season now. 

The major problem was not signing another Centre Forward. Whether as a starter or as an impact off the bench.

Too many midfielders that could do a job in defence but not one Centre Forward brought in in January.

That has come back to bite.

11 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The major problem was not signing another Centre Forward. Whether as a starter or as an impact off the bench.

Too many midfielders that could do a job in defence but not one Centre Forward brought in in January.

That has come back to bite.

Sure Naysmith tried to get a striker in on loan during Jan window but nobody wanted to come sit on the bench.... 

Just now, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure Naysmith tried to get a striker in on loan during Jan window but nobody wanted to come sit on the bench.... 

Why are strikers so presious that they can’t sit on the bench like any other player in other positions.

Any loan player has to bide their time for an opportunity.... 

Had to check! He started 15 in the league and we conceded 11. That actually surprised me tbh. So you have to imagine had he stayed we wouldn't be any better off with crosses. I don't know how often he personally lost his man and I'm not as keen to go through all the highlights to pinpoint who was at fault most [emoji38].

We've had 9 clean sheets and Semple started in 5 of them FWIW.