The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The manager has little choice at the moment for the first team Squad, No way does he want any of his players to get injured in a reserve fuxture....

Yeah I completely understand that, but with 12 days til the next game I thought at least Murray & McGrath would play, maybe even Brownlie as he's not long back 

13 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Yeah I completely understand that, but with 12 days til the next game I thought at least Murray & McGrath would play, maybe even Brownlie as he's not long back 

I agree DG, it was not a bright idea leaving them all out! 

Surely just a word in his ear would have been enough for Martin . 

Madness to suspend one of your own players why do that if you must do something just fine him and move on .

Our 1st team squad will surely play a  friendly before our next league game hopefully we can get some confidence from the game to get us going again 

Hopefully this break will prove to be a bit of a godsend. 

The squad is obviously down in numbers due to injury, and those that are fit are likely close to being burnt out due to the number of games they have played, so a break won't do them any harm.  It appears from our recent results that our performances have gone a bit stale (that's a generous description) and there also seems to be an element of the manager repeating the same mistakes in the stubborn hope that things will turn with a bit of luck.  Having the time to take a step back and reassess things might not be a bad thing.

We are on such a bad run that stopping the rot was essential.  Whilst we haven't managed to do this on the park yet, at least not playing for 3 weeks will loosely achieve the same thing.  The kind of downward spiral we are in is hard to get out of and it's hard to see where our next win is coming from but hopefully when we resume playing it can viewed as a fresh start rather than a continuation of the run.

I realise all of the above is clutching at straws and we are almost certainly humped but I'm trying to remain positive.

23 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The squad is obviously down in numbers due to injury, and those that are fit are likely close to being burnt out due to the number of games they have played, so a break won't do them any harm.  It appears from our recent results that our performances have gone a bit stale (that's a generous description) and there also seems to be an element of the manager repeating the same mistakes in the stubborn hope that things will turn with a bit of luck.  Having the time to take a step back and reassess things might not be a bad thing.

We are on such a bad run that stopping the rot was essential.  Whilst we haven't managed to do this on the park yet, at least not playing for 3 weeks will loosely achieve the same thing.  The kind of downward spiral we are in is hard to get out of and it's hard to see where our next win is coming from but hopefully when we resume playing it can viewed as a fresh start rather than a continuation of the run.

I realise all of the above is clutching at straws and we are almost certainly humped but I'm trying to remain positive.

Who needs a break? Get them playing in reserve games and friendlies

56 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Who needs a break? Get them playing in reserve games and friendlies

Players that are running on empty due to small squad & playing when it 100%fit. The break has came at a good time. 

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Burnt out due to playing lots of games?  I don't really see why, to be honest.  

All part of that impressive straw clutching I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Burnt out due to playing lots of games?  I don't really see why, to be honest.  

All part of that impressive straw clutching I suppose.

We haven't rotated the squad anything like enough.  Granted that has mostly been down to a lack of options but playing our full strength team in the Challenge Cup for example looks to have been a mistake.  As has not signing cover for Dykes and Dobbie.

We are struggling massively against teams we have beaten comfortably earlier in the season.  Obviously there are several factors at play; our opponents strengthening whilst our squad has weakened being the most obvious.  I don't think it's too big a leap to assume that accumulated fatigue is also a factor.  Dykes and Dobbie must have played 90 minutes of every game they have started and both are completely off the boil.  Marshall has picked up an injury almost certainly due to playing too many games.  Doyle's hamstring injury earlier in the year was likely for the same reason.

As I said, I'm not expecting miracles after our "spring break" but I don't think having a few weeks off to reset and take stock of things is necessarily a bad thing.  And I certainly don't think we need to be risking first team players in reserve games at this stage.

43 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We haven't rotated the squad anything like enough.  Granted that has mostly been down to a lack of options but playing our full strength team in the Challenge Cup for example looks to have been a mistake.  As has not signing cover for Dykes and Dobbie.

We are struggling massively against teams we have beaten comfortably earlier in the season.  Obviously there are several factors at play; our opponents strengthening whilst our squad has weakened being the most obvious.  I don't think it's too big a leap to assume that accumulated fatigue is also a factor.  Dykes and Dobbie must have played 90 minutes of every game they have started and both are completely off the boil.  Marshall has picked up an injury almost certainly due to playing too many games.  Doyle's hamstring injury earlier in the year was likely for the same reason.

As I said, I'm not expecting miracles after our "spring break" but I don't think having a few weeks off to reset and take stock of things is necessarily a bad thing.  And I certainly don't think we need to be risking first team players in reserve games at this stage.

I would have thought after the January transfer window in the main most opinions were that we had strengthened!!

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

playing our full strength team in the Challenge Cup for example looks to have been a mistake... I don't think it's too big a leap to assume that accumulated fatigue is also a factor.  Dykes and Dobbie must have played 90 minutes of every game they have started and both are completely off the boil.  Marshall has picked up an injury almost certainly due to playing too many games.  Doyle's hamstring injury earlier in the year was likely for the same reason.

I think it is a bit of a leap to be honest.

Dobbie and (perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) Dykes would surely have played all the time anyway, even if we'd had a bigger squad.  

The assumption about Marshall also looks like a big one - likewise Doyle.

I really do have doubts about a couple of Challenge Cup ties having impacted negatively.  Fair enough, if one of them had seen Dobbie crocked for four months, but that didn't happen.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

A full-time professional footballer should be expected to play 90 minutes 2 games a week nowadays. Never before have they had teams of experts looking after every aspic of their bodies.

f**k up.

13 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

A full-time professional footballer should be expected to play 90 minutes 2 games a week nowadays. Never before have they had teams of experts looking after every aspic of their bodies.

It being possible or even an expectation doesn`t mean being able to rotate players to an extent doesn`t have value. We have clearly played players recently who were carrying knocks. Doing so will inevitably have increased the risk of further injury with a consequent impact on performance going forward. Lack of depth in the squad remains an issue and has led to us playing a number of players who ideally would not have played..  We have had weeks where the bench was filled by kids which has also negatively impacted on our ability to make effective substitutions

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Remember the good old days when we used to debate whether or not we would be relegated if Dobbie wasn’t in the team?

Yes, I'm getting all nostalgic and misty eyed.

The answer has really been provided anyway.  The minute he's stopped performing as well, we can all see what it means.

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It being possible or even an expectation doesn`t mean being able to rotate players to an extent doesn`t have value. We have clearly played players recently who were carrying knocks. Doing so will inevitably have increased the risk of further injury with a consequent impact on performance going forward. Lack of depth in the squad remains an issue and has led to us playing a number of players who ideally would not have played..  We have had weeks where the bench was filled by kids which has also negatively impacted on our ability to make effective substitutions

This. I dont think theres any doubt that several players have played when they shouldnt and most have played more than they would have done if the squad had been bigger. The rest should be a positive thing

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I'm getting all nostalgic and misty eyed.

The answer has really been provided anyway.  The minute he's stopped performing as well, we can all see what it means.

Thats only part of it, though. Low and Todd have been big misses. I dont think the chopping and changing at the back has helped either. We've had a couple of good results since he gone but its looking more and more like we're considerably weaker without Semple in the team too