The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

Don’t agree that staying full-time would necessarily result in happy days again. Last time, we had a bunch of good young players coming through (Holt, Carmichael, Reilly and Clark) who were probably on relatively low money and could form the basis of a decent side. So, we basically got rid of the relegation fodder and kept the good, young players and were able to sign some more experienced players to build around them.

This time, all the decent players will be away (I fully expect Marshall and Stirling to join the others who are on PCAs plus the loan players, of course. And, if Dobbie joins them, we will be left with next to nothing. We will then be starting from scratch, or with one or two of the players who aren’t good enough, while competing with Championship sides to sign almost a full squad of players for League 1.

Better to avoid relegation if you can. It will be difficult enough for us to get a squad together for next season in the Championship. I can’t see many players been keen to sign for us, or go on loan, if we’re in League 1.

Yes, very different circumstances if it were to happen this time.

We did have several good young players back then who really came onto a game at that level and went places in their careers soon after.

It's difficult at the moment to foresee anything similar unfolding.

The way our gates are now heading, I'd also worry that we wouldn't necessarily be a particularly big fish in the third tier pond.  I think there's every chance we'd no longer be full-time.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Don’t agree that staying full-time would necessarily result in happy days again. Last time, we had a bunch of good young players coming through (Holt, Carmichael, Reilly and Clark) who were probably on relatively low money and could form the basis of a decent side. So, we basically got rid of the relegation fodder and kept the good, young players and were able to sign some more experienced players to build around them.

This time, all the decent players will be away (I fully expect Marshall and Stirling to join the others who are on PCAs plus the loan players, of course. And, if Dobbie joins them, we will be left with next to nothing. We will then be starting from scratch, or with one or two of the players who aren’t good enough, while competing with Championship sides to sign almost a full squad of players for League 1.

Better to avoid relegation if you can. It will be difficult enough for us to get a squad together for next season in the Championship. I can’t see many players been keen to sign for us, or go on loan, if we’re in League 1.

This.

It’s a difficult one this.

when you look at loan players and players out of contract there is not going to be a whole lot left.

I spoke to Dobbie wife about management and Sir Stephen would not look at a permanent player manager role. That said if we go down a part time route it is possible he would take the job on.

I also think GN loan signings policy has been strange this season. Semple and Maguire have been hits. It took him 2 months to see Norman was worth a start. Low had an initial flurry only to be injury prone. Wilson, not sure.McGrath ?? Aired ?? Frizell??

loan players need to make an impact with our squad being so small..... or at least be of a standard to be trusted to play in games from the first day they arrive.

Bringing in Johnston or someone at this point would definitely have an air of the 'Do something Mutleys' about it.  It would certainly carry no guarantees of salvation.

The alternative however is to do nothing.  That sounds even less attractive right now.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Based on what exactly. Managerial success on a couple of occasions in the league below doesn`t disguise a not great record at this level.
Dunfermline didn`t sack him because he was doing well.

Based on the fact that he would attack like f**k, using the best striker in the league. Would rather go down fighting than with a whimper.
Some managers are just suited to some clubs. Lets give him til the summer to find out.

Based on the fact that he would attack like f**k, using the best striker in the league. Would rather go down fighting than with a whimper.
Some managers are just suited to some clubs. Lets give him til the summer to find out.
He had plenty of decent attacking players at Dunfermline and they were close to the relegation battle. Crawford has now got them eyeing up a Top 3 finish. I don't imagine it's a coincidence they start doing well after AJ has left.

He was great for us but he was managing a side head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

2 hours ago, SueSue said:

It took him 2 months to see Norman was worth a start. 

loan players need to make an impact with our squad being so small.....

Completely agree with the last bit, but David Norman was way off the pace in the reserves when he first arrived, never mind the first team. Thankfully he managed to adapt well enough to be a useful player but Naysmith can't be criticised for keeping him out of the starting eleven at first.

He had plenty of decent attacking players at Dunfermline and they were close to the relegation battle. Crawford has now got them eyeing up a Top 3 finish. I don't imagine it's a coincidence they start doing well after AJ has left.

He was great for us but he was managing a side head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

So u think if Gus had stayed in charge we would have horsed the 1st division, beat Rangers at Ibrox and been a young, exciting team to watch?

Just thought I'd pop along and see the meltdown over here,not gloating here as a Stranraer supporter.I think Queens have probably the biggest 6 weeks in their history Watching your lot dismantling us roughly about 7 years ago didn't think we would see yous in 20 years again but things change quickly in fitba.Queens have 2 massive games in that time Falkirk at Palmerston and Alloa at the Idodrill.I think if you lose both,your in the seaside League next season and the ramifications that will bring.I watched Queens in July against us and I know it was nothing more than a glorified friendly,but I said to my mates at the time Queens will struggle this season and so it's proved.As a Stranraer supporter our crowds are pathetic,but noticed Queens could only muster just over a 1,000 on Saturday,didn't think I would ever see that day,that must be a big worry.Although my own team aren't safe yet,we are least picking up points here and there,Queens are in horrible run of form and I really fear for you boys it's not nice.One final thing didn't I read somewhere supporters wanted Naysmith on a long term deal,pretty unreal that.

So u think if Gus had stayed in charge we would have horsed the 1st division, beat Rangers at Ibrox and been a young, exciting team to watch?
Probably not as he would have been happy with 1-0 wins and his philosophy certainly appeared to be defence first. I don't think AJ was the main reason behind that season though. I reckon the vast majority of Queens fans could see what our best line-up was and the young boys should have been playing far earlier than they did. AJ just gave them their chance but were there really any supporters thinking it was "crazy" or "risky" playing so many youngsters? No.

The Arbroath game when he went 3-3-3 showed just how much better our players were. Arbroath were on a great run at the time and we blew them out of the water with 10 men. Lets not kid on that was down to great management.

I'd say that's still been his greatest achievement to date and he's been a flop at a higher level. So for all it was good at the time, I think folk need a wee bit of a reality check before they think he could be our saviour.

14 minutes ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Just thought I'd pop along and see the meltdown over here,not gloating here as a Stranraer supporter.I think Queens have probably the biggest 6 weeks in their history Watching your lot dismantling us roughly about 7 years ago didn't think we would see yous in 20 years again but things change quickly in fitba.Queens have 2 massive games in that time Falkirk at Palmerston and Alloa at the Idodrill.I think if you lose both,your in the seaside League next season and the ramifications that will bring.I watched Queens in July against us and I know it was nothing more than a glorified friendly,but I said to my mates at the time Queens will struggle this season and so it's proved.As a Stranraer supporter our crowds are pathetic,but noticed Queens could only muster just over a 1,000 on Saturday,didn't think I would ever see that day,that must be a big worry.Although my own team aren't safe yet,we are least picking up points here and there,Queens are in horrible run of form and I really fear for you boys it's not nice.One final thing didn't I read somewhere supporters wanted Naysmith on a long term deal,pretty unreal that.

I wouldn’t exactly call a league cup game a ‘glorified friendly’. We’ve been great at times this season but it’s all turned to sh*t very quick. I wouldn’t have predicted at the start of the season that we would struggle, it was always going to be a tight league with the league containing no real wipping boys. The injuries to Low and Todd have hit us hard as they are very creative players for us. I’m still confident that we’ll turn it around but with Falkirk and Patrick picking up points it needs to be soon. Btw I really like the boy in your team, Kyle Turner. Wouldn’t mind him at Palmerston. 

22 minutes ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Some wanted Naysmith to get a deal but I would class them as the minority.

15 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

He played Nicky Clark in midfield the whole season, he didn’t have a clue :blink:

9 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

I wouldn’t exactly call a league cup game a ‘glorified friendly’. We’ve been great at times this season but it’s all turned to sh*t very quick. I wouldn’t have predicted at the start of the season that we would struggle, it was always going to be a tight league with the league containing no real wipping boys. The injuries to Low and Todd have hit us hard as they are very creative players for us. I’m still confident that we’ll turn it around but with Falkirk and Patrick picking up points it needs to be soon. Btw I really like the boy in your team, Kyle Turner. Wouldn’t mind him at Palmerston. 

Re Turner,watched by 2 Scottish Championship teams on Saturday,Queens weren't one of them