The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
25 minutes ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Anderson quits as no2

Are we getting a banner made up? Bigger question might be - will there be enough fans there to hold it up?

It is an unbelievably tight league this season. 3 wins or 3 loses on the trot makes a huge difference to your league position.

GN seems to like players that can play many positions. Which is fine. Sadly it leaves you with a squad who are “ jack of all positions master of none”

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Heard a few stories from that time, was there a fancy dress contingent there that day? 

Shame there's no footage, here's a game between the sides a couple of seasons later though. 

Are you sure this isn't highlights from this season - goals conceded from crossed, dodgy keeper!!!

Had a quick look to see our record when Doyle has played right mid. I have included ICT as a defeat because we were losing 1-0 when he went off after 73 mins. I have included Ayr at home as a game he played there, but think it was just the second half. Anyway, I think it is 
P9 W1 D3 L5.  
So, 6 points from 9 games, which would translate into 18 points from 27 games. Obviously, you have to factor in Todd being out for some of these games. However, as a tactic, it certainly doesn’t appear to be producing results. There are other question marks over team selections, like bringing in Fordyce for Semple and Brownlie for Maguire. So Naysmith can beat his gums all he likes about bad luck and not getting the breaks and individual errors costing us, but it would appear that he is contributing to the results with his team selections and tactics. And that isn’t to mention bringing in a keeper who can’t cope with crosses.
I appreciate we have a small squad etc, but there is no way the squad we have should be 4 points above Alloa at this stage. If we gave them Dobbie and took their main striker, I wonder what our relative positions would be? As far as I’m concerned, Naysmith’s time is up. He has had more than 2 years to get us in a decent position when he has the huge advantage of having Dobbie and he has failed. Very few managers in this, or any other league, would have been given that time.

These stats certainly tell a story. Playing somebody like Doyle in RM when faced with an injury crisis is totally understandable but consistently picking him ahead of Stirling/Aird falls into the “massive error of judgement category”.

We still have matters in our own hands with a round of fixtures to go which is of some consolation.I continue to hope that he will play Dobbie and Dykes up top as a genuine partnership supported on the flanks by Stirling and Aird with the proviso that neither Dykes or Dobbie drift back into midfield at every opportunity.I would be surprised if we didn’t create a load of chances with this formation and if nothing else it will signify some positive intent. No guarantee that it will work but this so called counter attacking formula only worked in certain games usually when Dobbie was on fire and the current League Table doesn’t lie.

Low is a good player but we can ill afford his injury track record and that has been a gamble that has backfired. We were all well warned by Dundee P and B regulars who sadly called it right.Todd’s absence is a huge blow and I am not sure just how motivated he will be to get back in given his PCA departure to Dundee. Wilson looks a good player but we have lost every game that he has started!!!!!!

The facts are that when things went bad he dropped Semple for Fordyce and has now dropped Maguire for Brownlie.

Using an excuse that young players need a rest.

In my opinion a Maguire / Semple partnership would have been excellent, even giving the fact they would only have been 19/20 a piece.......... but now we have reverted back to a back four that shipped goals for fun last season.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Looks like we don't have the balls to sack Naysmith maybe a new number 2 will bring some fresh ideas.

No guarantee that another Assistant will be brought in, we might just go with what we've got for the last quarter, money saved possibly. Get Dobbie involved as Assistant ready for the step-up to the Gaffer's job when Naysmith goes.

44 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

this so called counter attacking formula only worked in certain games usually when Dobbie was on fire and the current League Table doesn’t lie.

I think you're totally right here.  

The beauty of Dobbie is that when he's on song, he really can do it all by himself.  Many of his goals are manufactured from nothing by the man himself.  He's been incredible this season, but even of him, it's too much to expect it constantly.

It probably masked the absence of creativity elsewhere for a long time, and now we're without Todd, it's a struggle.  We're suffering as Dobbie can only paper over the cracks, for so long.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

20 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Strange timing for the assistant leaving. Did he jump before he got pushed?

Can't exactly fault the guy's logic.

He's been offered a job with the SFA and must see how precarious his current employment is.  He'd be mental to do otherwise.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No guarantee that another Assistant will be brought in, we might just go with what we've got for the last quarter, money saved possibly. Get Dobbie involved as Assistant ready for the step-up to the Gaffer's job when Naysmith goes.

Naysmith is going to be getting another No2 to replace Dougie & has a few in mind but needs he says it needs to be the right fit for him & the club for the remainder of the season and beyond. 

Definetly shouldn't be Dobbie he is far to important a player to us on the park. Gary needs someone he can discuss tactics with on the touchline during games. 

To weigh in on GN. For me he is on thin ice. I don't want to see him sacked but he has got to get it right on the park. He might start Stirling and Aird against ICT but if we lose its probably a case of too little too late. I saw our home 5-0 win against Ayr and home 4-0 against Ross County. What has happened to that team? ICT is probably his last game for the club if we lose or perhaps even draw. I thought the Morton game was getting into must win territory well now it's becoming necessary. Unbelievable that we are not far from promotion playoffs yet seems impossible to reach.