The Queen of the South thread

At the risk of sounding patronising I would say that you guys are a decent side and should be OK. You had loads of fight and dominated chucks of the game today.  Easy saying this when I support a team flying at the moment  but thought  you were better today than earlier in the season.

38 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

At the risk of sounding patronising I would say that you guys are a decent side and should be OK. You had loads of fight and dominated chucks of the game today.  Easy saying this when I support a team flying at the moment  but thought  you were better today than earlier in the season.

I wasn't there today, but it sounds like we played ok, at least in the first half.

Our momentum, or lack thereof however, is something else right now.  It seems in terms of the personnel being selected, that the plan is to arrest this by keeping opponents at bay.  That's clearly not working and the reality is that draws aren't likely to be much use now anyway.  

In this league that's so notable for the fact that anybody can beat anybody, to rack up six straight defeats is remarkable.  It's even moreso when you factor in that only the one to Dundee United came against a side riding high, although today's admittedly featured a team in good form.  

I think that our only real hope rests in the fact that finishing bottom would still need three sides to come past us from what remains a bit of a distance.  If we don't beat someone soon though, it's likely to happen.

If two sides get above us, the play offs will be terrifying.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Attack is the best form of defence.  I haven't been to the last few games so I may be over-egging it  but it sounds as if we're setting out some kind of 8-0-1-1 formation, and if god doesn't get the service there's no way he can score.  And if god doesn't score we won't win, usually.

as i have said before threave rovers have a bigger squad than queens . unlucky with injuries  played well today . players are giving their all .  i have complete faith in gary and dougie .  carlisle united have not won in 6 games yet no fans are calling for pressleys head .  come on the south

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

You guys look decent tbh and have three players who can hurt any side. No idea how you lost six in a row. ICT looked worse.

dafc . are you old enough to remember the dark sinister hatred between pars and queens promotion year 1984/85 .  pitch invasion at palmerston with fans on pitch fighting then east end park  at half time think the whole fife police were called in . wild days

dafc . are you old enough to remember the dark sinister hatred between pars and queens promotion year 1984/85 .  pitch invasion at palmerston with fans on pitch fighting then east end park  at half time think the whole fife police were called in . wild days
I wasn't there but read about it. Can't say I've ever felt any issue with QOTS. Even when you beat us 5-2.

10 minutes ago, dumfriesblue said:

85/86

14 hours ago, sneeuq said:

The one thing going for Naysmith is that the players still seem to be giving their all and he hasn’t lost the dressing room. Its also not helped having Low and Todd out. Suprised with the level of support we had today after 5 defeats. Says a lot about the club.

Todd has been a huge miss .We have lost every league game since he has been out could he have been the difference between winning and losing     Todd has it all really main thing for us is that he can score goals no surprise that he has got his move to Dundee..

Nicky Low was a huge gamble that really has never payed off .Good player when fit but he has a long term groin problem that was always going to cause problems we must have hoped that we could somehow get him fit but now it looks like he is out for the season 

Guest Flash
15 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Worrying times to say the least. When every game in this League is pretty even and largely unpredictable - to lose 6 consecutive league games takes some doing. To put things in context we are talking about a 180/1+ accumulator.

We played well first half but we retreated into our shell and the goal was overdue when it duly arrived. Doyle in midfield ahead of Stirling drives me mad and when we were really struggling in the second half a positive Manager would have introduced Stirling and given us an out ball wide right and tried to stem the tide by taking the game to Dunfermline.

As invariably happens we lose the goal, make some changes and finish the game strongly in the last 10 minutes by which time desperation has set in.

Difficult decisions to be made now - does the BOD stick or twist. Not many Managers survive 6 consecutive League defeats but with it being so late in the day is it fair to pass the baton to somebody else in these circumstances. I suspect we will choose to “sweat it out” and hope that our narrow points cushion and good goal difference might see us over the line?

Dobbie looked very tired today and was frustrated at his lack of service
In second half. We certainly need him more than ever in weeks ahead.

Had a quick look to see our record when Doyle has played right mid. I have included ICT as a defeat because we were losing 1-0 when he went off after 73 mins. I have included Ayr at home as a game he played there, but think it was just the second half. Anyway, I think it is 

P9 W1 D3 L5.  

So, 6 points from 9 games, which would translate into 18 points from 27 games. Obviously, you have to factor in Todd being out for some of these games. However, as a tactic, it certainly doesn’t appear to be producing results. There are other question marks over team selections, like bringing in Fordyce for Semple and Brownlie for Maguire. So Naysmith can beat his gums all he likes about bad luck and not getting the breaks and individual errors costing us, but it would appear that he is contributing to the results with his team selections and tactics. And that isn’t to mention bringing in a keeper who can’t cope with crosses.

I appreciate we have a small squad etc, but there is no way the squad we have should be 4 points above Alloa at this stage. If we gave them Dobbie and took their main striker, I wonder what our relative positions would be? As far as I’m concerned, Naysmith’s time is up. He has had more than 2 years to get us in a decent position when he has the huge advantage of having Dobbie and he has failed. Very few managers in this, or any other league, would have been given that time.

34 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Todd has been a huge miss .We have lost every league game since he has been out could he have been the difference between winning and losing     Todd has it all really main thing for us is that he can score goals no surprise that he has got his move to Dundee..

Nicky Low was a huge gamble that really has never payed off .Good player when fit but he has a long term groin problem that was always going to cause problems we must have hoped that we could somehow get him fit but now it looks like he is out for the season 

Low looked good at first, but if he's really out for the season, I think blame can in this case, actually go to the manager.

It's not an unforeseeable situation - a stroke of bad luck.  He keeps referring to the thinness of our squad, so bringing in one of those players that's seldom fit was not a good idea.  

13 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

Heard a few stories from that time, was there a fancy dress contingent there that day? 

Shame there's no footage, here's a game between the sides a couple of seasons later though. 

Naysmith is certainly showing the stubborn arrogance associated with managers coming to the end of their time. The “I know best” attitude doesn’t wash with fans, and the claim that we’re not doing anything wrong and are just really unlucky is pure delusion.

I still really rate the guy and think he’ll make a decent career out of management but I think his tenure is coming to an end.

If we get out of this mess and manage mid table then he hasn’t really moved us forward any and should be canned at the end of the season.

If we lose against ICT he should be punted.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Naysmith is certainly showing the stubborn arrogance associated with managers coming to the end of their time. The “I know best” attitude doesn’t wash with fans, and the claim that we’re not doing anything wrong and are just really unlucky is pure delusion.

I still really rate the guy and think he’ll make a decent career out of management but I think his tenure is coming to an end.

If we get out of this mess and manage mid table then he hasn’t really moved us forward any and should be canned at the end of the season.

If we lose against ICT he should be punted.

I've got to admit that I didn't find his assurance that he's no quitter, particularly comforting.

Not been for a few weeks due to work commitments, but it was always obvious that the squad was paper-thin and that when injuries kicked in (as they inevitably would as the season progressed) that we’d struggle.

However it seems like Naysmith has regressed into a negative mindset. Perhaps it’s the flipside of the ‘we know we’ve got a ridiculously thin squad but everyone is fully committed to the cause’ type of siege mentality that he’s fostered over the season. In interviews, he does seem refreshingly honest at times, but his candid nature often segues into a equally characteristic dour and rather downbeat demeanour. 

We played some great football earlier in the season when everyone was fit and fresh, but now seem to be trying (and failing) to grind out results playing cautiously, and over-defensively, with a jaded, over-stretched squad. 

I can’t see anything other than a parting of ways with Naysmith at the end of the season, but whatever division we’re in next season, I suspect it’s going to be a fairly grim struggle for whoever the manager is. 

Edited by Frankie S