The Queen of the South thread

17 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'd put Stirling as the third midfielder, the 1 in a 3-4-1-2.

Surely Todd would be the 1, when fit of course.

Plus there'd be the option of having Wilson either on the left of the 3, as he played yesterday, or put Maguire there and have Wilson alongside Low (or Jacobs if Low is out)

Ah, options, it's been a while!

Surely Todd would be the 1, when fit of course.
Plus there'd be the option of having Wilson either on the left of the 3, as he played yesterday, or put Maguire there and have Wilson alongside Low (or Jacobs if Low is out)
Ah, options, it's been a while!
I was thinking more short term, with Todd and Mcguire out.

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I was thinking more short term, with Todd and Mcguire out.

Ah right, well in that case I agree

6 hours ago, DiplomaticDave said:

I’d like to see Annan Athletic manager Peter Murphy have a crack at the Queens job if GN leaves.  They’re going strong this season with a tiny budget (allegedly 2nd smallest in that league). Very young squad down at annan. Would be interesting to see how he fares at FT football. 

He is doing well but it's probably too early. I'd like to see them continue to develop. Promotion would be great, and then a real learning curve for Murphy to see how he does when he's up against it in the league above

9 hours ago, JessieField said:

What's the point in Queens paying a fortune for policing/stewarding  when foul mouthed Dundee Utd supporting fans are allowed to sit in the  old stand instead of moving them to sit among their own fans?

Wasn't the story that once upon a time a couple of Dundee Utd fans got arrested and ever since the police have seen them as high risk, and Queens have to suffer the high costs.

Were the noisy Arabs in the old stand in the general seats? I couldn't tell for sure but it sounded like some of the shouts were coming from hospitality and the directors box, or that direction at least.

Edited by DG.Roma
typos

The positive in the 3 at the back option is getting Dykes up top alongside Dobbie playing on the shoulder of the last defender. He will never score goals from that withdrawn midfield role and while he may never be prolific in any event his value to the team will be hugely more significant the further forward he plays.

It was plain for all to see that despite being a man short yesterday in the second half our positive outlook and higher defensive line was like “night and day” compared to the first half.

Personally, for the life of me I can’t see why that cannot happen in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but if it needs to be in a back 3 formation then so be it.

Yesterday we started off as if we were playing a team from 3 leagues above us .........no pressure on the ball, Dykes deep and ineffective, wide players marking the opposing full backs etc etc. Don’t think we had one chance in the first half playing at home on a plastic pitch that should give us an advantage.

Yes we were against the wind and while that was a negative it wasn’t the cause of the situation that unfolded.

People have previously likened Dykes to O’Connor - could anybody really justify asking Sean to play in a quasi midfield player in his heyday?

Manager made a great tactical change yesterday and players did really well in second half but the first half was dreadful. Nobody could legislate for the double whammy penalty/red card but if the ball is constantly in your final third these things have a much higher probability of happening.

I liked the back 3 because Wilson and Doyle were so comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. It meant Fordyce could just sit and it also pushed our midfield further up the park.

I don’t think Stirling or Aird (obviously harsh on the latter as he’s just in the door) have done enough to merit not trying a different formation just for their sake.

I don’t think we’ve stumbled on a magic formula but it’s nice to know we can try a different system.

3 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

i thought lyndon dykes put in some shift yesterday . up and down the field  helping out in defence .   must be a fit young man . sad to see him go

Dykes has no interest in scoring goals never gets himself into the box always looking to play someone else in has to try and get himself on the end of some of the crosses that come in not stand back and leave it all to Dobbie

7 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Did you genuinely just a say a STRIKER has NO INTEREST in SCORING GOALS?

Jesus Christ.

Dykes should be probably be chipping in with a few goals but can he really be classed as a striker when he's dropping deeper a lot of the time? We really only play with one out and out striker. 

Did you genuinely just a say a STRIKER has NO INTEREST in SCORING GOALS?

Jesus Christ.
Dont bother. Every so often Northfield comes out with the most ridiculous comments. There is plenty of evidence through the highlights, that dykes does get into good goal scoring positions but I would argue he is rarely found due to a poor ball or someone else taking on the shot. He has missed a couple sitters and maybe should have more goals to his name in his time here. The running he does for the team and for Dobbs in particular should not be overlooked.

Dont bother. Every so often Northfield comes out with the most ridiculous comments. There is plenty of evidence through the highlights, that dykes does get into good goal scoring positions but I would argue he is rarely found due to a poor ball or someone else taking on the shot. He has missed a couple sitters and maybe should have more goals to his name in his time here. The running he does for the team and for Dobbs in particular should not be overlooked.

He’s not scored the amount of goals he should have scored in his time, but he deserves a fair bit of credit for the 38 Dobbie has scored, such has been his selflessness this season.

To say he has no interest in scoring goals is absolutely mind-boggling.

Saw the reserves got a 2-2 draw against Ross County today. Can't find the team line up anywhere, does anyone know how we lined up ? 

Imagine McGrath would have featured and maybe Aird after his weekend off. Brownlie maybe fit enough for some minutes also. 

Edited by Broony88

3 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Saw the reserves got a 2-2 draw against Ross County today. Can't find the team line up anywhere, does anyone know how we lined up ?

Leighfield

Irving, Gourlay, Brownlie, Harvey

Ivison, Gardner, Williams, Aird

Murray

McGrath.

Subs: Irving, Tremble, Pearson, Douglas and McMahon (all got minutes)

Brownlie & Aird played 90 minutes, McGrath about 80.

A well deserved point. Ross County are 2nd in the league, Queens bottom. County went 1 up after a defensive mix up, Queens equalised with an excellent Fraser Aird freekick shortly before halftime.

2nd half Queens were excellent, played on the front foot with confidence and although Jack Leighfield was the main reason the score remained level, it was against the run of play when County went ahead with 10 minutes to go. Thankfully Declan Tremble headed in an excellent Joel Pearson cross to equalise in the final seconds.

Brownlie looked ok, but nothing special. McGrath isn't a centre forward.

Fraser Aird, well! Played wide left. 1st half, great skills but poor work rate and terrible attitude. Got needlessly booked for dissent when he was about to take a freekick. 2nd half, a changed man. He was excellent, worked hard forward and back and was a real leader full of encouragement for the younger lads.

Connor Murray also had a great 2nd half, dropping into midfield to get hold of the ball and try to make things happen.