The Queen of the South thread

Has the club started extending players contracts for next season yet? If not why? Also same applies with the management team, get them signed!! 

Wouldn’t be the worst outcome in the world if Naysmith got another club with a bigger budget - he probably deserves a crack at that to see what he could do. We then bring Allan Johnston back and see if he can work his magic again.

2 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Wouldn’t be the worst outcome in the world if Naysmith got another club with a bigger budget - he probably deserves a crack at that to see what he could do. We then bring Allan Johnston back and see if he can work his magic again.

What "magic" did Johnston work he won the 1st Div, with the only fulltime team in he league on the biggest budget. He had by far the best players in the league to his disposal. He never done very well at the clubs he went to after he left Palmerston ie Pars this year with much bigger budget than Naysmith had this season...

I loved AJ but I think I'd rather have GN. The latter has done a decent job at this level whereas AJ has been at a club with a bigger budget and hasn't done very well.

I called it at the time that he should never have taken the Killie job as it wasn't a great long term move and too big a jump. I was shot down by some, but given where he is now I maintain he'd be in a better place had he stayed with us at least one more season.

What "magic" did Johnston work he won the 1st Div, with the only fulltime team in he league on the biggest budget. He had by far the best players in the league to his disposal. He never done very well at the clubs he went to after he left Palmerston ie Pars this year with much bigger budget than Naysmith had this season...

In fairness to Magic, he put Nicky Clark up front and kick started his career, re-signed Derek Lyle, signed players such as Mitchell, Durnan and Young that were impressive. We went to Rugby Park, got a red card seconds into the game and almost came away with a 2-2 draw, beat Rangers at Ibrox, beat 3 teams in the tier above (Dumbarton, Morton and Partick) before winning the challenge cup, and only lost twice in 36 league games. Regardless of the level, that’s an extremely impressive record.

If we were to get relegated this season I can almost guarantee we wouldn’t have anywhere near that record next season.

In saying that, he had a crack at the division multiple times with a big budget at the Pars, and wasn’t a great success. Would rather have GN, but if he was to move on, I’d happily take a risk on Magic.

Anyone else think we were only playing with 10 men second half - I didn't think so. Why the difference in performance. We need to change the shape of the team for next week. We caused more problems in second half with 10 men than we did in the first. Second half played two up. Did Dundee Utd sit back on their lead - I don't think so. I think we forced them back with the set up. We need to be a bit more positive next week against Alloa from the start. We looked comfortable  playing 3 at the back

5 minutes ago, JessieField said:

What's the point in Queens paying a fortune for policing/stewarding  when foul mouthed Dundee Utd supporting fans are allowed to sit in the  old stand instead of moving them to sit among their own fans?

i was stunned when i seen all them police inside the stadium . 1980s are long gone

6 minutes ago, dumfriesblue said:

i was stunned when i seen all them police inside the stadium . 1980s are long gone

And my point is they're a total waste of money! Segregation, whatever you want to call it, is non existent! If it wasn't for the fact that Queens fans are (bye and large) good natured, then there could have been serious trouble in the old stand.

42 minutes ago, JessieField said:

No chance of that happening, Ross County hate traveling to Dumfries.

Should be played in inverness. Not sure why we would inconvenience Scottish fans to  suit  fans of another team who have no investment in Scottish football.

I`m sure Mr Doncaster wouldn't allow that :o

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

17 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

I’d like to see Annan Athletic manager Peter Murphy have a crack at the Queens job if GN leaves.  They’re going strong this season with a tiny budget (allegedly 2nd smallest in that league). Very young squad down at annan. Would be interesting to see how he fares at FT football. 

Anyone else think we were only playing with 10 men second half - I didn't think so. Why the difference in performance. We need to change the shape of the team for next week. We caused more problems in second half with 10 men than we did in the first. Second half played two up. Did Dundee Utd sit back on their lead - I don't think so. I think we forced them back with the set up. We need to be a bit more positive next week against Alloa from the start. We looked comfortable  playing 3 at the back
There main problem with three at the back is there's no place for Stirling or Aird. Assuming, of course, that McGrath is the third midfielder.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:
14 hours ago, queenslad said:

There main problem with three at the back is there's no place for Stirling or Aird. Assuming, of course, that McGrath is the third midfielder.

I'd put Stirling as the third midfielder, the 1 in a 3-4-1-2.