The Queen of the South thread

Is/was anyone at the reserves cup game against Heston tonight? 

I remember seeing Aidan Smith, Owen Moxon, Ryan Nelson & co totally rinsing St Cuthbert Wanderers in the final of this competition a couple of years ago. I wondered how the current crop of youngsters match up playing against men this time round (albeit 6th tier men, and with the best reserves likely saved for Sunday's bench)

I remember seeing Aidan Smith, Owen Moxon, Ryan Nelson & co totally rinsing St Cuthbert Wanderers in the final of this competition a couple of years ago. I wondered how the current crop of youngsters match up playing against men this time round (albeit 6th tier men, and with the best reserves likely saved for Sunday's bench)

Not on that level.

Smiths x 2, Brotherston, Ferguson, Moxon, Hooper, Murray and the Geordies a far better side.

Men rather than boys although some of the football played in the woman's leagues is very competitive  My point, from experience, is the need to play competitive football in front of critical supporters, home and away. You find the higher the level the less games the loan player gets unless they prove to be good enough. Queens prove the point by two CBs getting games but others being bit players who would have benefited getting games at a lower level
I knew what you meant, it was a tongue in cheek comment tbh [emoji14]

31 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Is that a old picture the OS posted or is Dan Carmichael training with us?

Dan is playing for Workington now having left Cumnock, If you look closely Rankin is also in the photo ! It's certainly not been taken today..... 

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's nothing any of us can really be shocked by. The crowds just aren't there to keep FT football going longterm.

My only question is are we making money from the Arena yet or is the income from that still paying it off. Similarly with the pitch. The lights are on almost every night.

We make over 50,000 a year from the Arena and hire of the pitch .

Really have to now look at part time football a backward step but it looks like Dumfries is  not going to support Queens anymore with our poor crowds we can't go on losing 200,000 every season .

Just over £119,000 from the Arena , pitch and gym hire for the last financial year which was surprisingly £17,000 down on the previous year. Since then the BBC has moved in and a new client is in advanced talks to move their business there. We’re extremely lucky to have that facility.

We make over 50,000 a year from the Arena and hire of the pitch .
Really have to now look at part time football a backward step but it looks like Dumfries is  not going to support Queens anymore with our poor crowds we can't go on losing 200,000 every season .

Are you a shareholder ?

4 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Just over £119,000 from the Arena , pitch and gym hire for the last financial year which was surprisingly £17,000 down on the previous year. Since then the BBC has moved in and a new client is in advanced talks to move their business there. We’re extremely lucky to have that facility.

To lose over 200,000 when we have the Arena making a 119,000 is a worry .

Dumfries it seems does not want a full time football club the crowds we get are  very poor it just can't go on like this 

Aye I'm hoping that number is more accurate. If we were only making £50K from it it'll have been pointless given that was the amount Tesco were paying us.

20 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Queens won 3-2  but there are no players coming through makes you wonder if we should go down the Falkirk and other clubs way of thinking and scrap our youth system . 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Aye I'm hoping that number is more accurate. If we were only making £50K from it it'll have been pointless given that was the amount Tesco were paying us.

Even if we were only breaking even regarding income against what Tesco offered, it would still be an entirely worthwhile enterprise.

That facility enables all manner of community involvement, that would otherwise not happen.  Obviously, it's a pity if small gates don't support full-time football. 

Irrespective of that though, the Arena is a positive, unless it's somehow financially crippling.  I don't think anyone's suggesting that's the case.