The Queen of the South thread

Good to see Gary and dougie doing well[emoji106] it probably took him a bit to get going but he’ll kick on now, he seems to have built a squad capable of play offs. Fraser Aird is a terrific signing! One thing I liked about Gary was his honesty. If his team weren’t good enough on the day he’ll put his hands up and take full responsibility, no bullshit. I always liked listening to his interviews no matter the result. Was gutted when he left but at least he left on good terms and with a league medal

1 hour ago, ewan_fife said:

Good to see Gary and dougie doing wellemoji106.png it probably took him a bit to get going but he’ll kick on now, he seems to have built a squad capable of play offs. Fraser Aird is a terrific signing! One thing I liked about Gary was his honesty. If his team weren’t good enough on the day he’ll put his hands up and take full responsibility, no bullshit. I always liked listening to his interviews no matter the result. Was gutted when he left but at least he left on good terms and with a league medal

That remains the case. His interviews are excellent and IMHO refreshingly honest.

Out of curiousity did some digging on the internet and Alan McGraw (Morton) scored 51 goals in season 1963-1964 and Jim Forrest (Rangers) scored 57 in season 1964-1965. Jimmy McGrory (Celtic) scored 59 goals in season 1926-1927. Stephen Dobbie is on 37 so far this season.

Wonder why the two youngsters were released or where there contracts up
They weren't good enough tbh. If they weren't getting game time when we had players out on their feet then I don't think they were ever going to make an impact. Best for all if they are let go. They can have a go somewhere else and we free up a wee bit of money.

That remains the case. His interviews are excellent and IMHO refreshingly honest.
I do enjoy listening to his interviews. The only time I've thought he was way off was when he claimed Murray was taking dogs abuse in a game. Other than that he always appears level headed.

9 hours ago, JessieField said:

Out of curiousity did some digging on the internet and Alan McGraw (Morton) scored 51 goals in season 1963-1964 and Jim Forrest (Rangers) scored 57 in season 1964-1965. Jimmy McGrory (Celtic) scored 59 goals in season 1926-1927. Stephen Dobbie is on 37 so far this season.

"James Terence Smith is a legendary goalscorer in Ayr United‘s history as he made the Guinness Book of Records for holding the British seasonal record of 72 goals, four in friendlies, two in the Scottish Cup and a phenomenal 66 in 38 matches as Ayr won the Scottish Second Division Championship in the 1927/28 season."

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

"James Terence Smith is a legendary goalscorer in Ayr United‘s history as he made the Guinness Book of Records for holding the British seasonal record of 72 goals, four in friendlies, two in the Scottish Cup and a phenomenal 66 in 38 matches as Ayr won the Scottish Second Division Championship in the 1927/28 season."

Can't count friendlies!

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

66 league goals though! 68 including the cup!

I understand some teams like to hold on and talk about certain achievements from their club or player(s). But come on, you're taking the piss a bit here, it was 90 year ago. 

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

I understand some teams like to hold on and talk about certain achievements from their club or player(s). But come on, you're taking the piss a bit here, it was 90 year ago. 

One of your fans was scouring the records. I simply pointed out one they missed.

Dont be so sensitive! :P

6 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Well reality has well and truly crashed back to earth. Disappointed to have such a good January, both on and off the field, and then start February off so disappointing.

Really disappointing result thought with the new signings we would get a win 

21 hours ago, virginton said:

Sounds like there's 'A Great Feeling at Palmerston' that merits a standalone thread IMO. 

The frost outside lasted longer.  

Still, there is always next week.

Our most recent results against the teams below us are 

Falkirk L

Thistle L

Alloa L

Dunfermline D

Morton L

So 1 point from 15. 

Our most recent results against the teams above us are

ICT W

Dundee U L

Ayr D

County W

So 7 points out of 12. 

Make sense of that.

46 minutes ago, Flash said:

Our most recent results against the teams below us are 

Falkirk L

Thistle L

Alloa L

Dunfermline D

Morton L

So 1 point from 15. 

Our most recent results against the teams above us are

ICT W

Dundee U L

Ayr D

County W

So 7 points out of 12. 

Make sense of that.

We're better against teams that try to get on the front foot and dominate the ball, as it allows us to counter. Lesser teams let us have the ball, and our midfield isn't good enough to break them down.

Is my attempt.

We're better against teams that try to get on the front foot and dominate the ball, as it allows us to counter. Lesser teams let us have the ball, and our midfield isn't good enough to break them down.
Is my attempt.

That’s exactly it, and has been the case for the bulk of Naysmith’s reign.

I think we’ve improved against the stuffier sides this season, but it was a big ask today without Low and Todd.