The Queen of the South thread

You’d also say that when Stirling has come off the bench he’s made more of an impact than when he’s had a run starting because most of the time we’d have little else in the sense of game changing players. He’s a player that I like when we are chasing a game or if we are 2-0 up  but he can be a liability because he’s not a defensive minded player. I can see why former left back Gary Naysmith doesn’t totally trust him.

15 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

You’d also say that when Stirling has come off the bench he’s made more of an impact than when he’s had a run starting because most of the time we’d have little else in the sense of game changing players. He’s a player that I like when we are chasing a game or if we are 2-0 up  but he can be a liability because he’s not a defensive minded player. I can see why former left back Gary Naysmith doesn’t totally trust him.

On that basis, given the opinion offered by United fans, he is unlikely to trust Aird over Stirling. 

17 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

So rather than starting him to try and dictate the game from the start we keep him on the bench for when we're having to chase the game. Far better imo to try and get a lead then bring on a more defensive player to hold on to it. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Are we honestly saying that Andy Stirling is going to be benched after the way he has been playing of late?

Wouldn’t really be a surprise. He came off the bench to score the equaliser at County, was benched for the next match and wasn’t even brought on despite the score being 0-0. Came off the bench at Inverness to help turn what would have been a 1-0 defeat for the starting team into a 2-1 win and was left out of the next match.

Doyle has been picked ahead of him at right mid and this would have continued had Fordyce not been injured. If everybody had been available for the games v Dundee and Thistle, Stirling would have been on the bench, I think.  Although Doyle played his part in the 4-0 win over County, I think it sends a message having a centre back/right back being chosen ahead of Stirling.

There is no denying Stirling has been far more effective this season than last, he's still too hot and cold to be a guaranteed starter for me though.  Whilst he has improved he is still by far the laziest player we have (now Harkins is away) and as the basis of our success is built on hard work and tactical discipline it is no surprise to me that the manager still doesn't fully trust him.

When everyone is fit Todd is an absolute stick-on to start wide left, leaving Stirling, Doyle, Murray and Aird fighting it out for the right hand side.  Stirling has a chance to cement his place just now whilst Todd and Doyle are out, but Aird will be looking to prove he is worth a start as well.  When Todd is back I expect it will be a straight fight between those two for the starting spot, although Doyle will still have a role to play in games where Mercer needs extra protection.

What I will say is that I am really impressed that Stirling hasn't spat the dummy by now.  We are going to need all of the squad over the next few months if we are to be successful and I'm sure he feels he should have played more than he has.  It is to his credit that he is still contributing when he does take to the field.

27 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

So rather than starting him to try and dictate the game from the start we keep him on the bench for when we're having to chase the game. Far better imo to try and get a lead then bring on a more defensive player to hold on to it. 

I get what you are saying but you could also look at the fact we’ve actually been better at coming back in games this season compared to the last two years, and having a fresh Stirling with a point to prove against a tired full back has more chance of getting a break through compared to blowing our load and having nothing to change if it doesn’t work. 

Perhaps with Aird as well that can cause us to be more attacking as we have more options to play with.

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Our priority signing has to be Gary Naysmith he has done a great job and assembled a very good team with very limited resources.. Time for the board to act Now... 

Totally agree with this. The last 6 months I've gone from not really being bothered of he was to leave in the summer, to thinking that we should be making sure we keep the current management in place.

Couldn’t agree anymore with Supersouth and Die hard! What is also quite worrying is that Sir Stephen is the only player contracted longer than May/June this year.
Gary Naysmith has built up a very good squad going into the latter stages of the Championship. I do believe The Queens have a good chance of making the top 4. With our current good record against teams above us, who knows what could happen?

Let’s start by putting in a performance against Falkirk tomorrow and coming away with 3 points! [emoji106]

Tuesday there was as much as I've enjoyed a Queens game and performance in a long time - it was terrific.

But Bloody Hell, the levels of optimism on here have gone stratospheric.   

We lost to the bottom side last week.  Let's see how we fare in a few more league games before we confer a dozen knighthoods.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Our priority signing has to be Gary Naysmith he has done a great job and assembled a very good team with very limited resources.. Time for the board to act Now... 

Totally agree.  Since he arrived, to a general reaction of negativity, he has set Queens on a steady long-term trend of improvement in the face of dwindling crowds and even more dwindlinger budgets.  His transfer moves have been astute and positive, his tactics have gradually become more positiver and his interviews have shown an impressive level of openness and honesty which ought to be a model for a good number of other managers throughout football.  The fans and the Board now seem to be behind him.  His strong and steady leadership ;-) is what this club has needed for a long time.