The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Anyone able to explain why Dykes has signed for Livi now and is being loaned back, rather than sign a PCA as previously rumoured?  Both scenarios produce the same outcome for Livi, but if it is the former it uses up one of our loans which I believe are limited, is that right?

Livi are presumably paying him a higher wage than us, and I doubt are loaning him to us for free.  Which means we are either paying more in wages to keep in, or we are paying him the same but Livi are also contributing which makes no sense when they could just sign him on a pre-contract and not pay him anything until the summer.  I suppose it is possible he has signed on the same wage as he is on now, with a wage rise agreed for next season.

As you can tell I'm a bit confused!

Given the interest in him, and the fact that PCAs aren't worth the paper they are written on, it gives them piece of mind to have him signed up. Good move from our board to get a small fee from a player out of contract at the end of the season, and still hold on to him until then!

26 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Given the interest in him, and the fact that PCAs aren't worth the paper they are written on, it gives them piece of mind to have him signed up. Good move from our board to get a small fee from a player out of contract at the end of the season, and still hold on to him until then!

Fair enough, I didn't realise that about PCAs I thought they were a common enough thing.  Have there been cases of them getting broken?

Sounds like a pretty astute move by both clubs.  I can only see interest in Dykes growing, especially after last night, but I think he has chosen his next move wisely.  He wants to be keeping the momentum of the last few years going and not rotting in the reserves at a "big club".

Fair enough, I didn't realise that about PCAs I thought they were a common enough thing.  Have there been cases of them getting broken?
Sounds like a pretty astute move by both clubs.  I can only see interest in Dykes growing, especially after last night, but I think he has chosen his next move wisely.  He wants to be keeping the momentum of the last few years going and not rotting in the reserves at a "big club".
Apparently they're not worth the paper they're written on. So I expect that suggests they've been broken in the past.

Good move for both clubs. Livi have him secured, we have him for the rest of the season and we've actually been paid for a player. Any idea how much we got?

20 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

They are pretty common, but I'm sure it's down to something in Scots law that says you can't make an agreement to agree to something in the future.

The famous case is Richard Britain, who signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone in 2013, then signed a new contract with Ross County 3 months later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23083594

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Apparently they're not worth the paper they're written on. So I expect that suggests they've been broken in the past.

Good move for both clubs. Livi have him secured, we have him for the rest of the season and we've actually been paid for a player. Any idea how much we got?

Think I called it a few days ago, including the loan. Fee is likely to be <5k

Slightly off topic but where is Sir Stephen sitting in our all time top goal scorer chart now?

Looking at wiki I see he scored 47 in  84 appearances in his first spell between 2007 and  2009.

He played game 85 of his second spell last night and has scored 56 goals. He can’t be too far away from third place now.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

He is a younger, fitter and more mobile version of Sean O’Connor and he gets the same results out of Dobbie as sheepheid

Notice you missed out  the key word  'effective'.

Nowhere near as strong in the air or as good at holding the ball up and holding off defenders nor crucially,  the ability to find the back of the net.

At present,  nowhere near the contributor to the team that Big Sean was.

24 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Nowhere near as strong in the air or as good at holding the ball up and holding off defenders nor crucially,  the ability to find the back of the net.

If you are going to  continue deliberately missing the point and argue the merits of Sean O'Connor, his goalscoring record would be somewhere near the bottom.

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Anyone able to explain why Dykes has signed for Livi now and is being loaned back, rather than sign a PCA as previously rumoured?  Both scenarios produce the same outcome for Livi, but if it is the former it uses up one of our loans which I believe are limited, is that right?

Livi are presumably paying him a higher wage than us, and I doubt are loaning him to us for free.  Which means we are either paying more in wages to keep in, or we are paying him the same but Livi are also contributing which makes no sense when they could just sign him on a pre-contract and not pay him anything until the summer.  I suppose it is possible he has signed on the same wage as he is on now, with a wage rise agreed for next season.

As you can tell I'm a bit confused!

With it being a transfer there's also a chance that you can add things into the deal such as a cut of future transfer fees etc, if he'd went at the end of his contract you wouldn't have got that. 

Good move by QoTS. 

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

Slightly off topic but where is Sir Stephen sitting in our all time top goal scorer chart now?

Looking at wiki I see he scored 47 in  84 appearances in his first spell between 2007 and  2009.

He played game 85 of his second spell last night and has scored 56 goals. He can’t be too far away from third place now.

He's scored a total of 145 goals for Queens so far over his 2 periods at the Club and is sitting comfortably second in the all time scorers chart.

Everything modern is terrible. Bring back ration books, polio, Colin Scott and Super Joe McAlpine.

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Everything modern is terrible. Bring back ration books, polio, Colin Scott and Super Joe McAlpine.

I don't think that's fair.

Recognising the merits of Sean O'Connor over Lyndon Dykes does not require a mere taste for nostalgia.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think that's fair.

Recognising the merits of Sean O'Connor over Lyndon Dykes does not require a mere taste for nostalgia.

Probably not but it was in reply to a tedious troll so I'm not too fussed.

I wasn't necessarily saying Dykes was better than O'Connor or vice versa.  I was simply commenting, as I have before, that I think they both have a similar style of play.  Getting the best out of Dobbie is another characteristic they share.

The Dobmeister getting good coverage in the national papers today about his love of Queens and wanting to finish his playing career here.  TBF it's pretty much the same story word for word in every paper but a good read and shows how he feels about the Club. 

Dobbie is a god. It's a great feeling to think we helped kick start the guys career, aka he spent half a season with us and thought "f**k. that." but still, not many ex Dumbarton players have gone on to have a career like that.

How have Stirling and Martin been getting on this season? I know that neither were particularly highly rated last season.