The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Not overly impressed if true tbh.  A bit if a hit and miss performer. 

Accepting the decision to run with a small squad of quality players rather than quantity, I think now would be the time to get in loan players purely for numbers. End of the window, and no commitment beyond the loan. If quality isn't available, then we may as well go for quantity.

Accepting the decision to run with a small squad of quality players rather than quantity, I think now would be the time to get in loan players purely for numbers. End of the window, and no commitment beyond the loan. If quality isn't available, then we may as well go for quantity.

Fraser Aird is only person above Lyndon in the assists charts. Personally think it’d be a good signing as our manager keeps getting the best out of players, plus this team isn’t going to accept anything less than his best. Another versatile signing can play anywhere on right hand side and behind the striker. Be a decent signing I think. Iain Wilson will prove to be a cracking signing I think.

Fraser Aird would be a really good signing, highly rated by Dund Utd supporters, very surprised Neilson is letting him go. If we get him I would like us to get another striker in on loan as cover for Dobbie/Lyndon. The squad would look very good going into last part of the season. 

Strange decision considering we have Stirling and then  Murray as back up for right midfield position. At right back we have Mercer, Doyle, Wilson who can play there and even Fordyce in an emergency. The left side has much fewer options with only one left back and one left midfielder in Todd. Wonder if we will see Stirling wide left in Todds absence and Aird on the right. 

43 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Strange decision considering we have Stirling and then  Murray as back up for right midfield position. At right back we have Mercer, Doyle, Wilson who can play there and even Fordyce in an emergency. The left side has much fewer options with only one left back and one left midfielder in Todd. Wonder if we will see Stirling wide left in Todds absence and Aird on the right. 

I get your point but Aird had played as many games on the left for Dundee United this season as he has on the right. Would be a good addition, he's direct and one of his best qualities is picking the ball up in his own half and getting his team 30 yards up the pitch. His assists have also been a great asset to United this season. Can't see the move happening at all, would be very surprised if they let him go out on loan, especially to anyone in the Championship. 

Edited by QoS_1919

I'd prefer him at RM to Murray just now. I don't want to having a go at the boy as everyone played their part last night but his positioning at times last night wasn't great. The strangest thing I found was him pressing the Dundee defence when we were retreating back into our shape. Doyle never did it and neither did Stirling. I don't have an issue with pressing but we seem to just sit in just now and allow the opposition to come forward. When Murray pressed he was leaving gaps in front of Mercer. I don't know if it was a lack of discipline or if he'd been instructed to do it. Found it strange he was the only one to do it though.

I get your point but Aird had played as many games on the left for Dundee United this season as he has on the right. Would be a good addition, he's direct and one of his best qualities is picking the ball up in his own half and getting his team 30 yards up the pitch. His assists have also been a great asset to United this season. Can't see the move happening at all, would be very surprised if they let him go out on loan, especially to anyone in the Championship. 
Aye we'll see what happens. Looks like Neilson isn't too keen on him though.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd prefer him at RM to Murray just now. I don't want to having a go at the boy as everyone played their part last night but his positioning at times last night wasn't great. The strangest thing I found was him pressing the Dundee defence when we were retreating back into our shape. Doyle never did it and neither did Stirling. I don't have an issue with pressing but we seem to just sit in just now and allow the opposition to come forward. When Murray pressed he was leaving gaps in front of Mercer. I don't know if it was a lack of discipline or if he'd been instructed to do it. Found it strange he was the only one to do it though.

Aye we'll see what happens. Looks like Neilson isn't too keen on him though.

I would much prefer Aird to Murray as well but I would prefer Todd and  Stirling over Aird. If it means one of those two is getting less game time it isn't a great deal imo. 

I would much prefer Aird to Murray as well but I would prefer Todd and  Stirling over Aird. If it means one of those two is getting less game time it isn't a great deal imo. 
Yeah agree with that but given the shifts those boys put in it'll be good to have some fresh legs to replace them. Not sure how long Todd is out for either?

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Yeah agree with that but given the shifts those boys put in it'll be good to have some fresh legs to replace them. Not sure how long Todd is out for either?

Suppose my argument without writing it down was if we are only maybe bringing one/two more in I would probably prefer it was in an other area. Still think we could do with another striker but the problem is they are going to only get very limited chances and not many parent clubs will be willing to send them our way. 

Maguire looks a great find on loan, had to double take when he pinged a free kick last night with his right foot after taking a couple  on Saturday with his left foot. When was the last time we had such a two footed centre back ? 

Eta think Naysmith said next couple of weeks from the Partick game interview. Might make the Aberdeen game. 

Edited by Broony88

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Suppose my argument without writing it down was if we are only maybe bringing one/two more in I would probably prefer it was in an other area. Still think we could do with another striker but the problem is they are going to only get very limited chances and not many parent clubs will be willing to send them out way. 

Maguire looks a great find on loan, had to double take when he pinged a free kick last night with his right foot after doing it a couple 

Dykes been spotted at livingstons ground from a fan there.

good move for him and good luck im sure if he keeps playing like he is he will be a very decent player for them. Sad to see him go but when the fans give him so much stick every game can understand why he wouldnt want to stay at the club 

Would not be surprised if he plays well at livingston then gets himself into the Australian national team 

Aird is a useful acquisition if we can pull it off. He can cover both wings and play full back and he is very fast.  I’m surprised Dundee Utd are willing to let him go as he is leading the way with assists in the league. Then again this is only a rumour.  I would still like another striker but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t get one as Connor Murray is a forward player (usually gets put out on the wing). 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

Dykes been spotted at livingstons ground from a fan there.

good move for him and good luck im sure if he keeps playing like he is he will be a very decent player for them. Sad to see him go but when the fans give him so much stick every game can understand why he wouldnt want to stay at the club 

Would not be surprised if he plays well at livingston then gets himself into the Australian national team 

I doubt that has anything to do with him moving tbh. At 23 years old and developing well, he could be worshipped like Dobbie and I expect he'd still be going next season.

He's got a long way to go before getting an international call-up.

Anyone able to explain why Dykes has signed for Livi now and is being loaned back, rather than sign a PCA as previously rumoured?  Both scenarios produce the same outcome for Livi, but if it is the former it uses up one of our loans which I believe are limited, is that right?

Livi are presumably paying him a higher wage than us, and I doubt are loaning him to us for free.  Which means we are either paying more in wages to keep in, or we are paying him the same but Livi are also contributing which makes no sense when they could just sign him on a pre-contract and not pay him anything until the summer.  I suppose it is possible he has signed on the same wage as he is on now, with a wage rise agreed for next season.

As you can tell I'm a bit confused!