The Queen of the South thread

I just don't get this attitude that Lyle has reached a certain stage and is now completely useless and ineffectual.
Of course, nature dictates that anyone will slow down with age  but that is not the only factor to be considered.
Dobbie is now fitter than he ever was with us first time around but he does not - and never has had - great pace.
He and Lyle compensate for that with their experience  and  natural instinct to get themselves into scoring positions.
They are sharp mentally and don.t rely purely on the physical.
Lyle is a far superior player than Dykes because of that and I would argue that Del wins more headers, holds the ball up far better , would provide more assists for Dobbie - they are on the same wavelength -  and score far more goals.
He would therefore be an asset  to this and any other team,
To not offer him a contract for one more season and leave ourselves glaringly short of  striking options  - which most seem to agree on -  is very poor Management.

I love Derek Lyle as much as any Queens fan, maybe more, but Sloop John summed up very well the other day why him and Dobbie didn’t work as a pairing. With no runners in the forward areas teams were able to defend high and suffocate us.

Dykes and Lyle may well have worked to a similar but lesser degree than the current Dykes and Dobbie partnership, but in a straight choice between Dobbie and Lyle it is a complete no brainer.

If we had had a player of the ilk of Chris Kane to bring off the bench yesterday we would probably have won as we were finding space in behind. Lyle would have offered very little.

Aberdeen away would be a great trip, why would you not want that to happen?

Even Gus got a draw up there so nothing to fear!
It wouldn't be a massive money maker and I expect we'd get beat. Doesn't really tick any boxes for me to see it as a positive draw tbh.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:
Aberdeen away would be a great trip, why would you not want that to happen?

Even Gus got a draw up there so nothing to fear!

It wouldn't be a massive money maker and I expect we'd get beat. Doesn't really tick any boxes for me to see it as a positive draw tbh.

They'll mostly likely pull a 10k + crowd which will be in the upper end of the teams in the draw so it will be decent enough crowd, plus a game against the 2nd best team in the country last season so there's a lot to be excited about, considering the range of potentially horrible draws, this is quite an intriguing one. Stone Cold Stenhousemuir will dispatch of them anyway.

They'll mostly likely pull a 10k + crowd which will be in the upper end of the teams in the draw so it will be decent enough crowd, plus a game against the 2nd best team in the country last season so there's a lot to be excited about, considering the range of potentially horrible draws, this is quite an intriguing one. Stone Cold Stenhousemuir will dispatch of them anyway.
I suppose it'll depend how interested their support are but 10k sounds about right tbh.

Probably being very harsh on our players that I expect to get beat. I'd just have been happier with a home fixture. Have we ever won up there out of interest?

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I suppose it'll depend how interested their support are but 10k sounds about right tbh.

Probably being very harsh on our players that I expect to get beat. I'd just have been happier with a home fixture. Have we ever won up there out of interest?

After a quick google, we apparently last won there in April 1958.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just had a quick look so could be wrong. It looks like the last game we won up there was 1957/58 which we won 4-3. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not in the least harsh.

Beating Aberdeen would be a remarkable result.  It's highly unlikely.

Cue someone posting the 2008 semi no doubt, but the reality is that they'd be very strong favourites; rightly so.

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think we tried to renew Semple’s deal but my understanding is that has gone to Ross County on very decent money indeed.

Maybe he is going to County maybe he is not but how the hell can you comment on the young lads salary ?

Great result all round yesterday.

Battered Dundee to be fair, extra revenue for the replay and a great game at Aberdeen to look forward to.

The tactics now look more attacking but we still look solid at the back.

Looking forward to the next 3 months.

7 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

There are no specifics mentioned and I made a general comment.

If he is going on loan he would be on the same salary he was on at Queens I would imagine, based on his Sheffield salary.

If it’s permanent then god only knows.

Great result all round yesterday.
Battered Dundee to be fair, extra revenue for the replay and a great game at Aberdeen to look forward to.
The tactics now look more attacking but we still look solid at the back.
Looking forward to the next 3 months.
Mon the stenny .

7 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Incorrect again. Mr Lyle had no future at Queens and quite simply had to go in the end. Correct decision by the club & management team.

Please explain, as I don't understand.

Who is incorrect, about what and why again ?

Why did he have no future, you  make it sound very dramatic as if there was some sort of disciplinary issue ?

Please explain, as I don't understand.
Who is incorrect, about what and why again ?
Why did he have no future, you  make it sound very dramatic as if there was some sort of disciplinary issue ?

The dressing room is a far better place without his influence I believe.

Now move on and stop blaming everything on the manger. Get that chip off your shoulder.