The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, Flash said:

Taking 18 months to get the best out of Dobbie at this level is hardly a ringing endorsement of Naysmith’s ability.  

Taking 18 months to build a squad that has enabled Dobbie to have the most prolific season of his career, whilst running under the tightest budget restraints of any manager in recent times is though.

I genuinely think some people reckon you could take 10 punters from the social club bar and start them alongside Dobbie, and have Dougie the Doonhamer manage the team and our results would be no different "because we have Dobbie".

10 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

If we're looking at 72 goals in 92 games playing under Naysmith and 2 golden boots as an underachievement then I can't wait for him to finally hit form.

I never said Dobbie had underachieved. The point made was that Naysmith should get some of the credit for Dobbie scoring 30 goals in half a season. Fair enough. But he should then also be given some responsibility for Dobbie not scoring 30 goals in half a season previously. 

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Taking 18 months to build a squad that has enabled Dobbie to have the most prolific season of his career, whilst running under the tightest budget restraints of any manager in recent times is though.

I genuinely think some people reckon you could take 10 punters from the social club bar and start them alongside Dobbie, and have Dougie the Doonhamer manage the team and our results would be no different "because we have Dobbie".

Naysmith absolutely deserves credit for working under a small budget. But the likes of Rankin wasn’t here by accident. Naysmith brought him in and gave him an 18 month contract. And given ageing players like Rankin and Lyle weren’t helpful to Dobbie or the team last season, he then also brought in McFadden. Dykes has also always been available to him. But he has previously either not played or been played on the left where his effectiveness was severely diminished. Dobbie himself has also been played up front on his own and in a deeper role that reduced his effectiveness. There is a case for being allowed 18 months to build a squad, but that isn’t the whole story.  

At this moment in time I would say this is Naysmiths best starting 11 since taking over as manager. We are hard to beat and scoring goals. Very impressed with his January signings so far and there’s still a couple more to come which will help this small squad. If we can avoid injuries then I’m very optimistic of a successful second half of the season. 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

I never said Dobbie had underachieved. The point made was that Naysmith should get some of the credit for Dobbie scoring 30 goals in half a season. Fair enough. But he should then also be given some responsibility for Dobbie not scoring 30 goals in half a season previously. 

Naysmith absolutely deserves credit for working under a small budget. But the likes of Rankin wasn’t here by accident. Naysmith brought him in and gave him an 18 month contract. And given ageing players like Rankin and Lyle weren’t helpful to Dobbie or the team last season, he then also brought in McFadden. Dykes has also always been available to him. But he has previously either not played or been played on the left where his effectiveness was severely diminished. Dobbie himself has also been played up front on his own and in a deeper role that reduced his effectiveness. There is a case for being allowed 18 months to build a squad, but that isn’t the whole story.  

Indeed.  Sloop John's post summarised really well why previous personnel and systems haven't worked and the manager rightfully received criticism at the time for it.  Dobbie's genius is such that he still managed to score a barrel load of goals which no doubt eased the pressure on Naysmith considerably and perhaps kept him in a job when others may have fallen victim to the sack.

He has now learned from these mistakes though, and found a system that has us resolute at the back and a threat going forward.  He's taken the knocks, so should also get the credit he deserves.

It feels a bit like when he does poorly he gets over the top criticism because he should be doing better because we have Dobbie.  But when we do well he doesn't get the praise he should because we are only doing so well because of Dobbie!

10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Indeed.  Sloop John's post summarised really well why previous personnel and systems haven't worked and the manager rightfully received criticism at the time for it.  Dobbie's genius is such that he still managed to score a barrel load of goals which no doubt eased the pressure on Naysmith considerably and perhaps kept him in a job when others may have fallen victim to the sack.

He has now learned from these mistakes though, and found a system that has us resolute at the back and a threat going forward.  He's taken the knocks, so should also get the credit he deserves.

It feels a bit like when he does poorly he gets over the top criticism because he should be doing better because we have Dobbie.  But when we do well he doesn't get the praise he should because we are only doing so well because of Dobbie!

I don’t think the criticism has been over the top. I think there has maybe been frustration that we could have been doing better. Certain of the changes required have been quite obvious. It is a bit like (but not the same as) Chisholm picking teams that were clearly not making the best of the squad with some fans pointing out the obvious mistakes. Then when he rectified them, other fans hailed him as a genius. It isn’t the same as Chisholm, because Naysmith hasn’t always had the right players available and it can’t be easy trying to get them on our budget.

Anyway, I hope we have turned a corner and the last 2 results are a sign of more to come. As I’ve said before, I actually like Naysmith but I suspect if we finish in the top 4 another club will come in for him. 

30 minutes ago, trotsky27 said:

Standard with hot news for once brownlie playing against Annan in Tuesday and we have an American in in trial called Ian McGrath last with nashvillle sc

http://www.fcbuffalo.org/mcgrath-signs-for-nashville-sc/

Found a little info on him. Plays in midfield but can also cover at the back. 

A very small selection of the amazing donations of old @OfficialQosFC programmes we have received. Lots of home and aways from mid 80’s to present. If anyone is looking to fill gaps in their collection or to start collecting please contact us.

7FB0FBD2-6FDB-46E3-AED3-33282D027490.jpeg

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, trotsky27 said:
Standard with hot news for once brownlie playing against Annan in Tuesday and we have an American in in trial called Ian McGrath last with nashvillle sc

The first part is giving me the fear.

Is he out of contract in the summer? If so then I doubt we'll keep him. And with the defenders we have, if they keep fit then I can't see him getting back in the squad. 

The first part is giving me the fear.

Not a massive fan either, but if maguire and fordyce carry on like they played Saturday he’ll find it hard to get in again. And he is decent cover. Obviously maguire started shakily but grew into a decent performance and think fordyce has been getting back to his best recently.

Is he out of contract in the summer? If so then I doubt we'll keep him. And with the defenders we have, if they keep fit then I can't see him getting back in the squad. 
I'm not sure and too lazy to check [emoji38] He's just so frustrating. He has the attributes to be a good defender and I think we all hoped he was our next Durnan but it just hasn't happened. My biggest grievance is his constant needless fouls. For a side who's biggest weakness is defending crosses, he should know better than to put us under that pressure. I had hoped this was the year he'd screw the nut with that but even before he was injured he continued to do it.

Not a massive fan either, but if maguire and fordyce carry on like they played Saturday he’ll find it hard to get in again. And he is decent cover. Obviously maguire started shakily but grew into a decent performance and think fordyce has been getting back to his best recently.
That's my thinking as well but then I don't think Fordyce deserved to walk right back into CB with Doyle and Semple playing so well and he did.

In hindsight that was a good call and Fordyce has been solid since coming back in, I only mentioned it to highlight the fact Naysmith may fire him back in regardless of how well our defence is doing.

For a big lad he's one of those 'who gets smaller when they jump.' I don't mind a big defender who doesn't play from the back and is old fashioned by just clearing the ball but the amount of times he chose to punt it up the park or out of play when a pass was on was frustrating. Kind of contradicted myself a bit there but a 10 yard pass is simple stuff. 

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

For a big lad he's one of those 'who gets smaller when they jump.' I don't mind a big defender who doesn't play from the back and is old fashioned by just clearing the ball but the amount of times he chose to punt it up the park or out of play when a pass was on was frustrating. Kind of contradicted myself a bit there but a 10 yard pass is simple stuff. 

A central defensive pairing of Fordyce and Brownlie would indeed involve a lot of hoofball clearances,  not always a bad thing and better to be clearing your lines effectively,   but a bit more composure would perhaps see us keeping possession a bit longer.  Agree with what someone posted earlier,  it's the mostly unnecessary fouls that Brownlie concedes in dangerous areas that gets me seething. 

Either I've forgotten how Brownlie plays in his absence or everyone else has as I don't consider him a "hoofball" type player!  If anything I thought he was too guilty of overestimating his own ability and trying to overplay it as if he was Franz Beckenbauer.

I don't know what the panic is anyway, Brownlie is solid enough at this level and is a better option on the bench than Exley, Gourlay or Harvey.

Either I've forgotten how Brownlie plays in his absence or everyone else has as I don't consider him a "hoofball" type player!  If anything I thought he was too guilty of overestimating his own ability and trying to overplay it as if he was Franz Beckenbauer.
I don't know what the panic is anyway, Brownlie is solid enough at this level and is a better option on the bench than Exley, Gourlay or Harvey.

Bang on. He’s still young(ish) as well, nowhere near his potential as of yet. At this level, with the budget we have, he’s a good cover.