The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Next league match. 

What a wast of a player, he was never a serious player for queens.   Yes he had some nice touches, held up play , looked  for a pass  etc,etc but at the end of the day his heart wasn't in it for us.     First game I saw him for us was at morton and thought he was overrated and I never changed my mind in all the following games. (Mr X I was that man shouting to get him Off)   Thank god he has gone.   Hope he plays against us when we play thistle because he WILL NOT RELISH coming against Low

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Some Queens fans like to keep a chip on their shoulder when it comes to former players.

Harkins is gone, we brought in what looks like an upgrade in Low. Move on.

Never had a chip on my shoulder against harkins.    Heard all about him and thought , yes a good player for us, then when I first saw him against morton  changed my mind and thought you are a player living on your old form and your heart is not in this.      Was not impressed but after the Doyl interview thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt however, after seeing him (Harkins) trying to cheat on fouls and being dirty against opposition players  good riddance.    This goes back to all the other posts about Naysmith, did he want him in the first place.   Did he relise what a liabilty he could be.     Was he glad to get rid of him.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

This.

14 minutes ago, loopyloo said:

Never had a chip on my shoulder against harkins.    Heard all about him and thought , yes a good player for us, then when I first saw him against morton  changed my mind and thought you are a player living on your old form and your heart is not in this.      Was not impressed but after the Doyl interview thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt however, after seeing him (Harkins) trying to cheat on fouls and being dirty against opposition players  good riddance.    This goes back to all the other posts about Naysmith, did he want him in the first place.   Did he relise what a liabilty he could be.     Was he glad to get rid of him.

Naysmith stated he was delighted to sign a player who he noted had controlled games against us last season. I think most fans were pretty positive about the signing.

I`ve no doubt Naysmith knew exactly what he was getting with Harkins but reasonably thought it a "risk" worth taking.

He was OK for us but not better than that and if him leaving means we have a player who is better for us (Low) then it`s all good from my point of view. Low clearly has much of what we need but he needs to stay fit.

Hi lads, I recorded a podcast with former Doonhamer Davie Weatherston that will be of some interest - CLICK

Part three of our interview sees him focusing exclusively on his three years at Palmerston and there's some brilliant insight on the workings of the club at the time, from the Scottish Cup final team to Gordon Chisholm leaving, to Kenny Brannigan's management to Gus MacPherson coming in, and everything in between.

Enjoy!

44 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Amazing how 2 good wins can make everyone feel so much more positive. The thing I will add to the Naysmith/Dobbie debate is that when Dobbie was out for those 3 games we didnt look remotely like winning. How we do relies more on Dobbie than Naysmith imo

The manager has his team set up to assist Dobbie and he obliges. Pretty unfair comments most teams managers rely on ther top marksman ie McCall at Ayr with Shankland 2 games missing = 2 losses, atleast Queens picked up couple of draws in Dobbie's absence.. 

Hi lads, I recorded a podcast with former Doonhamer Davie Weatherston that will be of some interest - CLICK
Part three of our interview sees him focusing exclusively on his three years at Palmerston and there's some brilliant insight on the workings of the club at the time, from the Scottish Cup final team to Gordon Chisholm leaving, to Kenny Brannigan's management to Gus MacPherson coming in, and everything in between.
Enjoy!
That was a good listen. No surprises with regards to Chisholm and Gus. I'm against Chairmen signing players above the manager and I was never a massive fan of Weatherston, but considering what we had that year it was bizarre he never got given a contract. I expect he was too attack minded for Gus.

Davie comes across as a really nice guy as well.

35 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The manager has his team set up to assist Dobbie and he obliges. Pretty unfair comments most teams managers rely on ther top marksman ie McCall at Ayr with Shankland 2 games missing = 2 losses, atleast Queens picked up couple of draws in Dobbie's absence.. 

If the Manager did indeed set his team up to assist Dobbie I would hazard a guess that he would be on a lot more goals than he is at the moment.  Up at Dunfermline we sat back for 80 minutes,  survived a few scares when Dunfermline should have put the game out of reach,  before Todd scored a winner to steal the points.  Against Alloa at home we again allowed them to pressure us and take a 3 goal lead,  Dobbie single handedly earned us a draw,  it was hardly the Manager's tactics that earned that point. Up at Inverness it took us going a goal down before the Manager brought on Stirling and Frizzell to push forward and give us a better chance of scoring,  prior to that Dobbie was isolated a lot of times up front or forced back to help in midfield.  That's just a few examples that come to mind.  I personally feel that Dobbie's goal tally is all the more special as he's done it in spite of the Manager's tactics in a lot of games and not because of his tactics. 

If the Manager did indeed set his team up to assist Dobbie I would hazard a guess that he would be on a lot more goals than he is at the moment.

GN has literally said on countless occasions that the team is built around Dobbie. Time and time again.

And to be fair, I think if he could score ‘a lot more goals’ than 32 after 27 games he’d be playing English championship level still, rather than Scottish Championship.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Enjoy!

Excellent interview!

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Some Queens fans like to keep a chip on their shoulder when it comes to former players.

Harkins is gone, we brought in what looks like an upgrade in Low. Move on.

I was just interested to know if Harkins was missing next league match - would have liked to have seen him play and wonder how he would have responded to the reception

18 minutes ago, queenslad said:

I was just interested to know if Harkins was missing next league match - would have liked to have seen him play and wonder how he would have responded to the reception

Harkins is barely out the door and was due to line up against in a fortnight.  It's hardly that outrageous to be talking about him.

Given how well he did in the first home game against Ayr where I believe he was on the receiving end of a bit of verbals it might be a good thing he is missing.  I am generally wary when our supporters give an opposition players a lot of stick as more often than not it fires them up and means they put in a standout performance.

There are the odd exception.  I don't think John Baird put in a single good performance after leaving us.  Anytime I saw him he was a seething mess who was trying far too hard to "get it up us".

While Shankland is obviously the main man, we've been missing several key players among the support act which hasn't helped.
Fair play to Queens though...I'm assuming a change in style to that witnessed at Palmerston at the end of December. Dobbie ripping the pish must be a pleasure to watch.

It wasn't directed at anyone specific. It just seems to be a trait among some of our fans. It goes back as far as John O'Neill when he left for St Mirren. The state some of our support got into up at Love Street that day was embarrassing. One guy even launched a lighter at him after he scored. Lately it's been Baird and Kerr. Even if the players left under a dark cloud, I couldn't really care, if they're gone.

I expect Harkins will receive a fair amount of abuse the next time he lines up against us and I know it's part of the game but I don't understand how people can get themselves in such a state over ex-players. Usually the same people who complain if a player gives it back.

Given the amount of clubs he’s played for in his career I’m sure it would be water off a ducks back to him!

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

It wasn't directed at anyone specific. It just seems to be a trait among some of our fans. It goes back as far as John O'Neill when he left for St Mirren. The state some of our support got into up at Love Street that day was embarrassing. One guy even launched a lighter at him after he scored. Lately it's been Baird and Kerr. Even if the players left under a dark cloud, I couldn't really care, if they're gone.

I expect Harkins will receive a fair amount of abuse the next time he lines up against us and I know it's part of the game but I don't understand how people can get themselves in such a state over ex-players. Usually the same people who complain if a player gives it back.

This and in particular the highlighted bit.