The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

So, you don’t think having Dobbie at this level has helped Naysmith’s record at all. Fair enough. Probably best to leave it there as no amount of discussion will persuade you otherwise.

Why are you having a constant dig.

listen to what I said.

Yes Dobbie is a plus towards the managers record but the budget restraints he works with in no shape helps him .

You have chosen to highlight the plus side but not mentioned what makes his job harder.

That’s not to difficult to understand surely?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why so defensive about this?

We've just had a couple of good wins that have a play-off place again looking attainable.   That's quite good given that we have poor gates and a small squad.

When considered in the context of us having the division's outstanding player though, it looks a slightly less notable achievement.

Nobody is hammering Naysmith here.  It's just that some of us are considering that context in appraising the manager's performance, and are a bit less fulsome in their praise of him than some others.

I wouldn't have thought that should cause any of us a problem.

I am not being defensive.

i thought this was a forum to debate all things Queens .....

If we all thought the same it would be incredibly boring.

At that point I will go and walk the dog.

7 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Why are you having a constant dig.

listen to what I said.

Yes Dobbie is a plus towards the managers record but the budget restraints he works with in no shape helps him .

You have chosen to highlight the plus side but not mentioned what makes his job harder.

That’s not to difficult to understand surely?

It isn’t a “constant dig”. This only started because you had a dig by describing Dobbie being a significant influence on Naysmith's record as being “crap” and “nonsense”. As I have already said, I didn’t mention the budget because I was responding to this specific point. Even after I explained this, you made a sarcastic reference to Ronaldo. I’m not the one making digs here. All I have done is support my original point that having Dobbie has helped Naysmith’s record, something that Gus, for example, didn’t have when he was operating on a similiar, or lower, budget.

At least you now appear to accept that having Dobbie has actually helped Naysmith, something you originally described as nonsense.

I don't quite get all this sudden influx of Naysmith lovers. It was only a few weeks ago that many posters on this board were saying that he was chasing the fans away with his boring tactics and playing style. I can't quite fathom out why our bench is so bare when there should be more youngsters from our youth ranks being offered the opportunity as a reward for their efforts with a place in the squad.

Interesting times though and at least we are in the top four with an opportunity to challenge if we can stay relatively injury free.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

It isn’t a “constant dig”. This only started because you had a dig by describing Dobbie being a significant influence on Naysmith's record as being “crap” and “nonsense”. As I have already said, I didn’t mention the budget because I was responding to this specific point. Even after I explained this, you made a sarcastic reference to Ronaldo. I’m not the one making digs here. All I have done is support my original point that having Dobbie has helped Naysmith’s record, something that Gus, for example, didn’t have when he was operating on a similiar, or lower, budget.

At least you now appear to accept that having Dobbie has actually helped Naysmith, something you originally described as nonsense.

The problem with writing on forums as with texting is that sometimes the how you want to say something can come out in the wrong way.

Of course Dobbie is a huge asset but to fully evaluate GNs record we need to look at the other tools he is given.

with all the variables taken into account IMO he is doing a very good job ....  and this has been my view all season.

10 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

. I can't quite fathom out why our bench is so bare when there should be more youngsters from our youth ranks being offered the opportunity as a reward for their efforts with a place in the squad.

You can't fill their heads with false hope .

A place on the bench is exactly what it would be .

37 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

I can't quite fathom out why our bench is so bare when there should be more youngsters from our youth ranks being offered the opportunity as a reward for their efforts with a place in the squad.

Only the players we have on the bench are anywhere near good enough for the Championship amongst the reserve team at the moment. Get Brownlie back and 2 more loan signings in this window and the team and bench will look strong barring injuries for the remainder of the season. No point filling the bench when we all know you can only play 3 subs and we know who the 3 are currently. 

36 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The problem with writing on forums as with texting is that sometimes the how you want to say something can come out in the wrong way.

Of course Dobbie is a huge asset but to fully evaluate GNs record we need to look at the other tools he is given.

with all the variables taken into account IMO he is doing a very good job ....  and this has been my view all season.

That is, of course, fair comment.

I think also when some are assessing Naysmith, they are looking at his entire time in charge. The first 6 months are difficult to assess because he was taking over somebody else’s squad which was on a downward trajectory. To be fair, he steadied the ship, brought in some good loan players and kept us out of trouble.

Last season was a bit meh, getting knocked out the League Cup after drawing with East Kilbride and Albion Rovers and never really troubling the better teams in the division, including losing to St.Mirren 4 times. In his defence, Martin being injured most of the time didn’t help.

I think he is doing a better job this season, tbh, although he has been helped a little by bigger clubs like Falkirk and Thistle having nightmares. Saying that, I like the way the team looks to be heading now, especially after signing Low.

It may or may not be significant, but if he was regarded by neutral observers and directors at bigger clubs as an excellent manager, you’d think he would have been picked up by now. The jobs he could realistically been appointed to are - Premiership - County, Livi, St.Mirren, Dundee - Championship - Falkirk, Dundee U, Thistle, Dunfermline. Afaiaa, he wasn’t in the frame for any of them. Of course, if he keeps us in the top 4, he is far more likely to attract the attention of bigger clubs. But possibly up to now he has been regarded as having us punching pretty much at our weight, taking everything into account.

I can't be bothered going to watch Queens at the moment, the player choices and tactics are very off putting. Palmerston is such a sad and depressed place to be around these days.

I don't quite get all this sudden influx of Naysmith lovers. It was only a few weeks ago that many posters on this board were saying that he was chasing the fans away with his boring tactics and playing style.

Interesting times though and at least we are in the top four with an opportunity to challenge if we can stay relatively injury free.

51154a23afa96f6899000172.jpg

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

With the tools at his disposal, and the size of our fanbase, punching our weight would be 8th or 9th I suspect.

I'm reluctant to call Dobbie a tool, but in this context he's a considerable one, that bears no realistic relation to the size of our fanbase.

imo . given the lack off funds at qos . naysmith is doing a fine job using the tools he has effectively and efficently .  my belief this season was to avoid the drop  so to be in 4th is an amazing achievement . well done gary and staff .  nicky low is class btw

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

With the tools at his disposal, and the size of our fanbase, punching our weight would be 8th or 9th I suspect.

That was what I meant by “up to now”. In the last 2 seasons, we finished above the 2 part-time teams, which we would expect based on budgets alone, and we finished above 2 of the full-time ones, which we wouldn’t expect without Dobbie but might do with him.  As there is only one part-time team this season, based on the budgets alone, we should expect to finish above them. If we add in the Dobbie effect which allows us to finish above 2 of the full-time ones, that would make 7th the realistic target. So, 6th or above might mean we’re over achieving, although you also have to factor in any bigger clubs under achieving.

If Dobbie doesn’t help us to finish at least 2 places higher than the budget would normally allow, there isn’t a great deal of point in having him, in purely practical terms.

5 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Does Harkins getting sent off yesterday mean he misses next weeks cup tie or his next league match?

Think he was sent off for 2 bookings, which means suspended for next league match.

3 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

Not convinced any of the current crop of u20/reserves will make it.

do not believe that.     There are some good players there however, will they get the chance under the manager, I dont know but when you see the younger players getting into the Scotland squad then you have to believe that queens are doing the right thing by bringing on these boys and it is then up to the manager to say yea or nay